After being told to get a V16 for awhile now, I finally tried one. I really liked it, especially the gain nob (since other tube amps in this range usually don't have one). But, since they only had floor models, I decided that I'd just order one online one of these days. Before I do that, I was wondering what you all thought of this amp. What're the pros and cons? I know I've heard of issues concerning American made ones vs Korean made ones, so what're the chances of me getting an American made one? Just some general info on this amp would be cool. Thanks.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
i like Palomino amps. Even the 5w tube one has a gain knob. The only thing i wish it had is an EQ, not just a tone knob.
The V32 I played sounded amazing, very warm and three dimensional clean tone.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
The only two from the series i've played are the v8 and v16 and they both sound great. If you buy it online most likely it'll be one made in vietnam, even in GC's its gonna be hard to find a made in USA one, but it should still be good, and i wouldn't take the chance on an online one, go for the floor model if its ok and if it has some scratches or something you can get them to take some off the price.
The guy said he'd take off $50, but it just really bugs me buying the floor model, especially since there are so many ways to mess up a tube amp. I think I'll just order it and send it back if I see a problem.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
I auctually just got back from GC after playing a palomino.
It might have just been the one that i played, but it really sounded thin and sterile, but i guess that it may have been that i just got done playing a JSX. But the picking dynamics really were weird. there wasnt a "glassy" tone really. it sounded really weird when you picked semi-hard. it sounded really harsh and thin.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I auctually just got back from GC after playing a palomino.
It might have just been the one that i played, but it really sounded thin and sterile, but i guess that it may have been that i just got done playing a JSX. But the picking dynamics really were weird. there wasnt a "glassy" tone really. it sounded really weird when you picked semi-hard. it sounded really harsh and thin.

They seem to differ quite a bit individually it seems. The first two Palomino's i've tried to plug into didn't work or the drive was as you said thin an uncharacteristic. Then I had the chance to try a full working V32 and that had a nice clean sound these were all though random trips at GC over a few months though.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Hm... I didn't get that impression, but I didn't have it turned up very loud.
I played through it with a tele at first, and thought it was absolutely amazing. Then I had to bring myself back to reality by playing with an Epi LP, which is what I play at home, and thought it was still great, but not as great as it was with a tele. I want a tele so bad .
When I played a v16 at GC with some gibson les paul(classic or std) the tone was amazing, exactly like 'that' blues/hard rock tone that you dream of. But still sounds great with my g400, especially cranked it can sustain forever.
My palomino is great with my agile les paul. I took a chance and ordered it online; I guess I got one of the good ones.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
Quote by Darth_Queso
My palomino is great with my agile les paul. I took a chance and ordered it online; I guess I got one of the good ones.

Yes! Reassuring words! I love you.

I felt bad, because I was going to just get one at GC until the guy told me they only had floor models, to which I declined, then the salesman was obviously pissed. But $350 is a lot to mess around with.
Quote by yoyodunno
When I played a v16 at GC with some gibson les paul(classic or std) the tone was amazing, exactly like 'that' blues/hard rock tone that you dream of. But still sounds great with my g400, especially cranked it can sustain forever.

Speaking of which, if you put a delay at 50 ms and put some reverb and a compressor, it can sustain for literally 30 seconds if you have a good setneck guitar. That sounded cool.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Speaking of which, if you put a delay at 50 ms and put some reverb and a compressor, it can sustain for literally 30 seconds if you have a good setneck guitar. That sounded cool.

That sounds delicious.
Any other final thoughts before I order this?
you're probably not making a mistake getting one, provided it suits your styles of music.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Well I play mainly pop punk, and a little bit of bluesy punk like the New York Dolls occasionally. Also, I play a tiny bit of ska once in awhile, so a nice clean tone is always a plus.
yeah it's great. have fun with it
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
One last question.

I won't be able to crank this, seeing as I live in a house with other people, and those people would probably kill me. When no one's home, I'll be able to turn it up quite a bit, but that doesn't happen all that often. Will I still hear all this amp has to offer if I have it at a lower volume?
The one I played sounded pretty good at a lower volume ( had to try it in a store) and that was the V32.

Right now i'm using a 50 watt Peavey and it sounds fine indoors.
In my experiance with tube amps, they are amazing turned up, but most can still sound decent at low volumes. They just sound even better turned up IMHO.

Not sure how the V16 would be low or loud never tried that one...

The master on it's pretty good. I think you'll be pretty pleased with it's bedroom sound.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So the amp came today. I was allowed to try it out to make sure it worked fine, but now I gotta put it away until Christmas. The plate on it said that it was "Designed and Manufactured in the USA." Does this mean it's an American one, or is it like everything else and just has the last screw put in in America, so they can call it American made?
^ Congrats! Sounds like you got yourself a New Old Stock V16!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yay!