I'd like to preface this post by saying I am a fan of NASCAR. I have a cousin who is a Busch Series racer and I've attended a few races with Pit Passes. It's truly an adrenaline rush and being in the pits during the race, witnessing the stops and seeing the cars close up is awesome. The strategy, risk, precision, and mechanics are something the "they're just rednecks going in circles" crowd just doesn't understand.

Having said that, I have to admit that I wish the series hadn't taken the direction it has in the past decades. The cars are no longer "stock" (unless you consider the new, 'updated' definition) and are virtually 700hp billboards bearing hardly any resemblance to the car model stamped in small letters under the grill. Yes, they go 200mph and are very aerodynamic machines. However, I find myself saying "so what?" If I had my way, I'd see Camaros, Mustangs, Firebirds, etc racing for the win. I'd much rather see cars I can identify with, have experience with, and can actually buy in a car lot. I understand why the series moved away from this sentiment with the state of the automotive industry in the late 70s, but I believe we are reaching a point where we can return to these roots. Most every American car nowadays has some V8-touting, sports-oriented variant. Automobile safety has made great advancements and, with important modifications inspired by today's NASCARS, could keep racing a street car at full speeds a relatively safe endeavor. With the Shelby Mustangs, new Camaros and Challengers, Corvettes and Vipers, etc, I think we could have a varied and very capable pack of race cars on the track.

I can see it now: NASCAR Origins Series. Racing only stock, street legal cars. Only modifications are for safety purposes. Different divisions for different classes of cars (High Performance, Performance, etc.) and faction wars the likes of Ford vs. GM vs. Chrysler/Dodge and Domestic vs. Import even. A "classics" division could also be included.

What would the ramifications be? Well, it could certainly foster a struggling American automotive industry. If automakers again became interested in producing machines that could take the checkered over their rival cars, the competition would create advances in technology and boost sales. Even the tame versions of the race-ready incarnations would benefit from the image boost. Also, the cost of racing would be drastically reduced. I know from personal experience in talking with my cousin that the money necessary to maintain a competitive NASCAR is outrageous and as so, most wins and therefore most prize winnings go to the larger, consolidated teams whom already have enough funding to compete. Therefore, the rich get richer and better, while the struggling, underfunded teams go by the wayside. If the race cars required little to no reconditioning beyond safety specifications and a new paintjob, the cost to compete would be much, much less. More drivers could compete and the rich conglomerates could stay with Nextel.

So, as I see it, a new NASCAR series or equivalent could really improve several things. I know autocross currently employs virtually stock cars, but it does not reach the proper scale to elicit the improvements possible with a NASCAR equivalent. Le Mans series is also more "stock" in that they're more recognizable. However, they are certainly not stock underneath and are generally cars that are unreachable to the majority of Americans.

So I say bring back the brand loyalty infused competition and industry stimulation of the old days.

What do you think?

Sorry for the lengthy post...
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, just let them go, because man, they're gone." Jack Handy

http://aurora.dmusic.com
Quote by JDawg
Good story, and I for one beleive that NASCAR is a real sport. Some people are ignorant.

Yes. People say isn't not really a sport, just 43 jackasses making left turns for 2 hours. Well, they're wrong.. There so many things involved in a race. The setup, track, etc etc etc.

Plus, the G's in those things are amazing.

fixx'd
Quote by Guitar Guy21
I agree with you TS. Btw who's your cousin?

My cousin is Brett Rowe. Not well known...as I said, he's struggling. It's a shame too, because he really is a great driver. He won the ARCA Truck championship in 2005, moved into ARCA Remax, and is now trying to break into NASCAR. Trying being the key word.
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, just let them go, because man, they're gone." Jack Handy

Quote by JDawg
I wish your cousin the best of best of luck so I can say, "Yeah, I talked to his cousin on a forum before"...

Haha, thanks.

Yep best of luck to your cousin. It's a shame what has happened to the Busch Series (Nationwide Series). It seems like the lower budget teams cannot prove themselves because they can't even make the race. All the Cup drivers have to come in and take their spots. And now they are bringing in a crap load of drivers from completely different types of racing. I can honestly say I'm losing interest in Nascar. I don't like seeing a bunch of foreigners racing in an American form of racing.
Last edited by Guitar Guy21 at Nov 30, 2007,
Quote by Guitar Guy21
Yep best of luck to your cousin. It's a shame what has happened to the Busch Series (Nationwide Series). It seems like the lower budget teams cannot prove themselves because they can't even make the race. All the Cup drivers have to come in and take their spots. And now they are bringing in a crap load of drivers from completely different types of racing.

Exactly. It's quite ridiculous. This is entirely true from my talking with my cousin: 4 sets of GoodYear tires to use in one race costs $10,000. What if you don't use them within the race? You can sell them back...for about $100 per tire...after which the company slashes them so that they cannot be used again. Also, NASCAR engines must be rented; you can't purchase them. How much does it cost to rent a competition engine for one race?

$30,000

Quote by ApexGT
Exactly. It's quite ridiculous. This is entirely true from my talking with my cousin: 4 sets of GoodYear tires to use in one race costs $10,000. What if you don't use them within the race? You can sell them back...for about $100 per tire...after which the company slashes them so that they cannot be used again. Also, NASCAR engines must be rented; you can't purchase them. How much does it cost to rent a competition engine for one race?

$30,000

$30,000? For rent only? Thats bull****.
Its good to know some people in UG like NASCAR.

I was going to make a thread on it, but i feared i would get flamed to death.
Quote by JDawg
$30,000? For rent only? Thats bull****.

Indeed. And that's per race.

Quote by ApexGT
I'd like to preface this post by saying I am a fan of NASCAR.

I stopped reading there.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by orangepaint
I stopped reading there.

Aww, you shouldn't have...

lol

I enjoy nascar, but I think it's less and less about skill, and more about Money and Tech.
Quote by garrett5
I enjoy nascar, but I think it's less and less about skill, and more about Money and Tech.

I.E Hendrick Motorsports.
I completely agree that it's more about money and technology (which is why I proposed a new, down to earth, return to form type of series) and less about the actual competition. How many NASCAR drivers have you seen on commercials and billboards, etc. It seems like the main purpose of NASCAR anymore is to exploit its popularity in an attempt for corporations to increase revenue. That includes the team sponsors, as well as the major teams themselves.

NASCAR could certainly use a reshuffle. One that favors the drivers and the cars, rather than the business execs.

NASCAR also thought that the COT (Car of Tommorow) would even out the field..
and it did the complete opposite.
Quote by Dakota078
NASCAR also thought that the COT (Car of Tommorow) would even out the field..
and it did the complete opposite.

This made me think of how current NASCAR Nextel and Busch series racers would fair in an "Origins" style circuit. It would be interesting to see how the results would change compared to their respective series, when money and superior equipment are not a factor in winning.

I wish they would race on the beach again... Or better yet, outrun the cops stealing moonshine...

EDIT:
I want this back...

Last edited by JDawg at Nov 30, 2007,
I completely agree with what you're saying man. I don't know if you ever watched IROC. but thats what NASCAR seems like its trying to becomes, especially with the technical limitations on this COT. All that bull bout evening out the playing field, gimme a break. The top tier teams rise to the top, thats why they are top teams. Unless you take away all the adjustablility on a car out, thats how its gonna be. When you look at how much the teams have to spend on stuff like NASCAR engines, regulated tires (see any competing brads? I thought not), its no wonder teams are trying to get more and more money.

And don't get me started on the chase. Hey, lets change the points system so we can artificially create "excitement" and completely change how our series has been run for the past 50 years. The way they are seeding now is a joke. Its almost like seeding NFL teams based on number of TD's, then playing the normal playoffs like that. If you want more excitement, add in a few road courses, those are exciting to watch, but (on no!) can't hold more than 60=70 thousand people at the track. We don't want the ISC monopoly to lose a few bucks do we.

phew
Yea i dont like the Points System..

Im not a fan of Jeff Gordon..
but he was screwed of a championship...
if it were a regular seson without the chase...he would have won..by a ton.
Quote by JDawg
Good story, and I for one beleive that NASCAR is a real sport. Some people are ignorant.

it may be a real sport but the truth is, NASCAR is a dieing sport.
all the new regulations they are tossing in and point systems....
tracks are showing more open seats now compared to selling out.
tracks are not being built now....
most just watch on TV but I cant stand it for any more than 5 minutes...its boring.
Oh man...that Superbird is just plain awesome. I'd love to see that on the track again.

And I completely agree with you kmbuchamushroom. I have seen the IROC series and it is pretty cool. Identical cars and setups. Nothing but driver skill involved. It's an improvement from the current state of NASCAR, I'd say.

Quote by moody07747
it may be a real sport but the truth is, NASCAR is a dieing sport.
all the new regulations they are tossing in and point systems....
tracks are showing more open seats now compared to selling out.
tracks are not being built now....
most just watch on TV but I cant stand it for any more than 5 minutes...its boring.

Tell me, moody (if you check this thread again), would you find it to be as boring if the cars were street legal and familiar?

Quote by ApexGT
Tell me, moody (if you check this thread again), would you find it to be as boring if the cars were street legal and familiar?

I think that would be great. I want to see a real Dodge charger vs. a Mustang.

Or wait, lets jump back to 1999 and race a real a Ford Taurus against Monte Carlo.
Quote by JDawg
I think that would be great. I want to see a real Dodge charger vs. a Mustang.

Or wait, lets jump back to 1999 and race a real a Ford Taurus against Monte Carlo.

Taurus SHO vs. Monte Carlo SS? Interesting match, haha.

The thing about IROC is, what happened?, it died out because nobody watched it. NASCAR better be careful. And another thing. If they are going to stick with the car they have and not be truly stock (I can't see them ever being truly stock again), why not let in a load of manufacturers? It can add more competitive elements, more money possibly more fans, and the cars are all the same anyway, manufacturer is little more than a sticker and a sponsor now.