Game editor fired becasue of poor review of heavily advertised game?

Hi, dunno if this is true, but there is a rumor going around that Jeff Gerstmann of Gamepsot was fired on the spot because of his poor review of Kayne and Lynch: Dead Men. He was supposedly fired because he gave the game a poor review, and the advertisers were not happy and thus contacted Gamespot. Man, its all about the money these days....he had been working there 10 years and was the Editor in Chief and a damn good one at that. Can someone clarify if this is true? If it is true, how stupid is that? Here are some links

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review-328244.php

http://valleywag.com/tech/jeff-gerstmann/gamespot-editor--on-fired-reviewer-328775.php
Be cool.
thats business man, so many companies own companies, that it comes to a point where you cant have two of your companies competing or interfering. Its like having two great bands on a label and releasing their albums on the same day, its bad. This is why its tough to trust reviews in general. All of those "greatest rock album of 2007" is probably reviewed by a sub company of a the label that put the band out.

imagine all the other **** that you were taught to believe is real.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
This is terrible. He reviews a game, and it DOES suck. I can vouch for that. But because they filled the site with advertisements for this game, and didn't get a good review, he gets fired. Apparently, gaming sites a la gamepsot are run by money hungry suits.
Be cool.
Is it just me, or did Burton and Jefferson see this coming? The second I read this thread, that comic came to mind.

Read this. All of this.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I totally put this in the consoles thread

No worries!

Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by shreddin_frets
Wait.

So this guy gets fired for doing his job?

He got fired for stickin' it to the man
Quote by shreddin_frets
Wait.

So this guy gets fired for doing his job?

I think this an appropriate time for this.

Welcome to America.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
I think this an appropriate time for this.

Welcome to America.

Well. >_> I've lived here all my life... just in a better place.

But can't he like... press charges or something?
Quote by kosmic
Is it just me, or did Burton and Jefferson see this coming? The second I read this thread, that comic came to mind.

Read this. All of this.

That.... was amazing. o_O
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by kosmic

Read this. All of this.

lol, i love those, especialy the one about the November rain video...

ANYWAY!
yeah i can see why that happened... but thats what happens when you hype something up like that...
shame for the guy, i'm sure he'll get hired by the next person who walks by him though

kudo's to him for saying what he wants to say, not what his company gets paid to say... a real american
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by shreddin_frets
Well. >_> I've lived here all my life... just in a better place.

But can't he like... press charges or something?

It sounds like he has a good case for wrongful termination.
But it would probably fail in court. The justice system is messed up too.
Its all about the money.
All joking aside, this really does disgust me. And, in a comically pleasing way, that comic I posted pretty much sums it up. And if he sues, the case wouldn't last a day. The legal system is all screwed up (but that's a different thread for another day ).

Edit: By the way, I sigged you, fallenangel.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Last edited by kosmic at Nov 30, 2007,
Quote by kosmic
All joking aside, this really does disgust me. And, in a comically pleasing way, that comic I posted pretty much sums it up. And if he sues, the case wouldn't last a day. The legal system is all screwed up (but that's a different thread for another day ).

Edit: By the way, I sigged you, fallenangel.

SWEET!

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I wonder if any other places will hire him.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
I've yet to read a good review of that game, so i doubt this is true.
The one with the royal sceptre and gown

Quote by leaping badger
i like drag

Member of the "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join.
this is why i get all my opinions on games from Ctrlaltdel and penny arcade.
only 2 good ones left are Ryan and Alex

Edit - i dont think some of you get it

1: for weeks the site has had ads all over it for this game
2: gamespot gets money from eidos for ads
3: jeff finds out game is ****, gives honest review
4: gets fired because they want to keep the money...
Last edited by John W at Dec 1, 2007,
It's true, you can read about it anywhere on the net.

I find the whole afair disgusting. He even gave the game a score that is, acording to their scale, above average. Integrity has been slaughtered.
There's probably more to it than that one bad review It it's true in the UK he could probably take them to court for unfair dismissal, I'm not sure about the US though...
Quote by kosmic
I wonder if any other places will hire him.

I hope so. He was a damn good video game editor, not to mention he was pretty much Gamespot itself. Only second to Greg, who left shortly before. He was always doing Gamespot's shows, like On the Spot, The Hotspot, and Tournament TV. Hes famous in the Gamespot community. They have a 7000+ post thread about him, and just about everyone on their forums is supporting Jeff through signatures, etc. Including me.
Be cool.