For punk rock do you think it would be better for me to play w/ my fingers or a pick?

PLEASE, no arguments, I just want your opinion.

As a punk rock bassist, do you think it'd be better for this particular genre to play with a pick or use my fingers?
hell man, get a pick. in my experience punk is usually played pretty fast, so stick with a prick, i mean pick and youll do just fine
pick becaus it has a sharper more raw sound, fingers are more mellow
I am the last Samaurai

Quote by Strati
Note to self: keep off thread while on lsd trip.

Quote by gtrfrk123
Well i'm still fairly young so i still hump random things

Quote by Woogles
****K YOU HOE!
GTFO MAH UG!
using a pick gives u a little bit of a twang, its a little brighter than using fingers id say, but i kinda like the tone of fingers better. also u can do more without a pick, b/c u dont hav 2 worrabout the pick when u go 2 slap or tap or somthing. theres lots of punk bass tabs on UG, check them out and experiment. find out 4 yourself, youll b more informed in your decision.
Fingers aren't always more mellow. You can't replicate the pick sound with your fingers exactly, but there are some pretty aggressive players who use their fingers and or slapping techniques here and there. Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne is a good example.

In my opinion, follow YOUR opinion. I'm not the one playing your bass, so why should you care what me (or any of us) have to say?

Play what sounds good to YOU and what seems to fit better. I do not look down on bassists that play with a pick. In the end, tone is very important, and if the pick gives you the tone that YOU want, then more power to you. Same goes for fingers.

So you decide.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
I can play with my fingers faster that with a pick. But I guess thats just because I practise...
I vote FINGERS!

Its still your decison, I don't even know how you hold a bass let alone how you play so I'm not gonna be the best help.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I think anybody playing any music should use whatever technique is more comfortable for them and whatever you think gets you a better sound for what your playing
Yeah seriously... You do what you're comfortable with.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
You can use either, though I find a pick is more suited to punk. The tone's better suited and it's often faster (though personally I'm faster with fingers).
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Most often, punk is played with a pick for both the tone and easier access to high speeds.

However, I don't like picks at all (the tone, the way it feels to play with one) and I'm faster with fingers, so I personally use fingers, but use the EQ to give a treble boost to make up for the more mellow sound of fingers.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by jakekilgore666
pick becaus it has a sharper more raw sound, fingers are more mellow

That really depends on how you play with your fingers and how you set your amp and bass sound.

I would go with fingers.

PS: completely agree with gm Jack on this one.
What you're forgetting though, is that picks have a very different sound. You cannot get a pick sound with fingers and vice versa. Choose whichever one you want. Personally if it was me I would use a pick. But you're not me and thus might have a different opinion of what to use. That's called being unique.
how about you try both, see which style you prefer and then go about being different to every other punk rock bassist out there
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
What you're forgetting though, is that picks have a very different sound. You cannot get a pick sound with fingers and vice versa. Choose whichever one you want. Personally if it was me I would use a pick. But you're not me and thus might have a different opinion of what to use. That's called being unique.

+1.

Try both styles while playing /w band, and ask them what they think about it and you should decide through how you feel with it.
Is it natural for you? would you rather use the different style?

And as said above, slapping and popping is pretty sick with punk, if you can get it together.
i think you do what ever you like to play with best.
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
Why don't you try both? Or alternate, I'm prettymuch a fingerstyle player, although I do like taking out the picks every now and then, you can get some pretty good sounds with it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
It seems that when I see most punk bassists, they are playing with a pick on a P-bass.

But it's really personal preference. If you like fingers better, go for it.

But you need a P-bass.
The.
Most punk players use a pick on a Precision Bass. Its the classic punk sound ala Dee Dee Ramone or J J Burnell. Its one of the styles I tend to use a pick with, along with surf music.

But I have seen people get that type of "attack" with their fingers as well. Its whatever works for you--but yes, most punk bass is pick based.
Depends, for stuff like Motion City Soundtrack I use a pick...it just sounds better, but for stuff like, say...The Clash, AFI, Green Day, etc. I use my fingers. Just do whatever sounds better with the sound you're playing.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Punk music eh? Well if you are getting into punk, First off, do what is comfortable for you!
If you like to play with fingers run with that, if you like the pick, use a pick.

Find a band you like the sound of, Operation Ivy, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Rancid, Dead Kennedys, ect ect...

Thats another thing, you always see punk bands use a P bass, thats generaly from the sound they wants, and the feel. This is another area you can judge and chose what you like, I say Get a Pj set up, you get the best of both worlds.

Just play and have fun, test the water a little bit, and do what you and your band [if you have one] are looking for.....
Bass: Jackson Cb20 Concert
Amp: Crate BT 1000
Pick. Then you'll get that Latterman bass sound that I would have sex with.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.