I am interested in expanding my musical horizons, and I want to find a band that uses chords not often used and chord progressions you wont find in contemporary music. But not metal, I'm thinking more alternative or post-rock or indie or whatever. Thanks a lot!
Arcade Fire toys around with some funky progressions in their first album, "Funeral" (which is an amazing album, by the way). A lot of the chord progressions in Final Fantasy's most recent album, "He Poos Clouds" are also pretty interesting. Animal Collective experiments a lot, and so does Of Montreal.
Pretty much every progressive band. And on top of that list is probably Gentle Giant.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
A few of my personal favorites are King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Charles Mingus, Jeff Buckley, Estradasphere, Naked City and Mr Bungle.
You'll find plenty of fancy chords in progressive rock, jazz, fusion, avant-garde etc.

But tbh you don't even have to get into anything too obscure. I mean, look at Bohemian Rhapsody. One of the most well-known songs of all time and harmonically, there's so much going on in that song. It really is one of the best songs ever written imho.

And the guy who mentioned the Beatles also has a good point. Being the quintessential pop band, they may not seem like the most obvious choice. But eg. their most famous song is Yesterday and listen what's happening there. Especially McCartney had a knack for putting gorgeous melodies against equally gorgeous counter-melodies and thereby turning a relatively basic chord progression into a song with very rich harmonics. People who don't like the Beatles are crazy imho
Quote by flabber.gast
A few of my personal favorites are King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Charles Mingus, Jeff Buckley, Estradasphere, Naked City and Mr Bungle.
You'll find plenty of fancy chords in progressive rock, jazz, fusion, avant-garde etc.

Don't forget Godspeed You! Black Emperor
The Mars Volta, At The Drive-in, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Broken Social Scene, The Postal Service and Pavement.