Page 2 of 2
Oops, the word funk got deleted :O It should have read "John Frusciante funky should"
My choice is a local guy, Kevin Oliver. Kevin played with P-funk during the late 70's early 80's. The dude has the sickest time I've ever heard.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
you forgot hillel slovak...he was the original formulator of the rhcp funk
I'm gonna tell you one more fucking time, John Frusciante is not a funk guitarist. He's anything but one.

And your a moron for puting him at the top of that list, all the while it took you long enough to pile up the others, who actually deserve mention.

Are you serious? how manny chili peppers albums have you heard? Stadium Arcadium isn't that funky, i'll give you that, but come on! have you heard BSSM? Total funk guitar.
its not purist funk, but its the closest thing you'll get to it these days. He's created a perfect bridge between funk and rock music. Most people wouldn't give funk music the time of day until they heard John Frusciante. He may not be the BEST funk guitarist EVER. But he definitely deserves a spot on that list.
I'm disappointed no one mentioned Jim Martin from Faith No More and for that matter any guitarists who came after. And Buckethead counts as funk.
I'm gonna tell you one more fucking time, John Frusciante is not a funk guitarist. He's anything but one.

And your a moron for puting him at the top of that list, all the while it took you long enough to pile up the others, who actually deserve mention.

ye cos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diXDf7Q-QkU

is not funk

and thats just one of his songs. rhcp might be rock in foundation (have the energy of rock) but technique wise a lot of their stuff is funk
Lol I knew there would be this "John Frusciante is not funk" argument when I clicked on the thread, Godamn great choice of link '93, that is one of my favorite songs of all-time, favourite riff of any instrument and just might be the greatest example of great minimalist funk guitar. John Frusciante is amazing, accept that. He is one of the greatest funk guitarists of all-time. I would also say Rhcp takes the energy of hardcore punk, the groove of funk. Not that arguing over how music should be classified is constructive, but...
Last edited by Jawlytomtom at Aug 16, 2011,
I remember this:

Rodney Jones & Bruno Speight from Maceo Parker.
Hiram Bullock.
Ray Obiedo from H.Hancock.
Charlie Hunter.
Vernon Reid
Catfish Collins from James Brown.
Adam Smirnoff & Eric Krasno from Lettuce.
recommend me an album, last funk album I got was Mother's Milk RHCP, I have been checking out Parliament and am thinking on mothership connection (mostly for give up the funk), but wasn't extremely impressed with the other tracks. I guess I am looking for some really crazy shit, I don't like the rambling/talking throughout the songs I have heard on Parliament and RHCP, I mean it's fine, but I really like listening to jam tracks like on mother's milk the 12minute "the song that made us who we are today" kinda stuff like that. I am looking for Jazz too, so just something impressive (in the guitar department generally)

If Rush played funk that would be the album, technicality or really good grooves. I want a solid album or atleast point me to a few good bands before I decide on the next buy, I'll consider another RHCP's too and anything else, thanks
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Nov 11, 2011,
Page 2 of 2