Hey everyone.. So it looks like i'm going to have to order out of the states to get a Maxon OD-9 or an 808. My question is.. ( i'm sure its been asked before but i can't find it) Is the Maxon OD-808 the same as an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808? likewise with the Maxon OD-9 and the TS-9?? I can get Ibanez here where i live. Which would be better? As long as it has the JRC4558 IC chip it should be the better of them right? I know Nick Hippa and Phil Sgrosso ( As I Lay Dying) uses the OD-808 and thats the sound i'm after somewhat so.. any help would be great! thanks!!!
I think the original Ibanez Tubescremers were actually produced by Maxon, or something along those lines. Personally, I prefer the OD808 to the TS808. It just sounds better to my ear, because I think they still use the original components, whilst Ibanez don't. Something like that, anyways.
The original Ibanez tubescreamers were made my Maxon (some of them have Maxon on the PCB's).
When the companies split, Maxon kept the rights to the schematics and have done so since they split from Ibanez.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
There's a sound clip somewhere on the net comparing a Behringer OD to a Maxon OD, and there was almost no tonal difference, despite the $60-70 price difference.
So i should not waste my time wiht the ibanez and get a maxon from the states? on ebay theres a bunch of Tubescreamers modded out wiht both chips..?? safe bet or..?
It depends on which you like the most, really. You might prefer one over the other.

^^ I wouldn't buy the Behringer, though, purely because my DR100 (and the replacement I got) sucks. They both cut out a lot, have a lot of hiss, are really flimsy and fiddly and really, really aren't great at all. If they improved them just a little, they'd be good enough to consider, I guess.
Quote by Denthúl

^^ I wouldn't buy the Behringer, though, purely because my DR100 (and the replacement I got) sucks. They both cut out a lot, have a lot of hiss, are really flimsy and fiddly and really, really aren't great at all. If they improved them just a little, they'd be good enough to consider, I guess.

Of course but I was simply saying
ya.. this sucks because im not able to try them both out first.. gah!! dman having no MAxon dealers in western canada!!!