Don't really fancy spending £70 getting it done professionally. My dad knows sod all about guitars, but is competent with electrics. How important is it to get it done proffessionally to get the right tone? How do I know it's done correctly - they might be all soldered correctly but how do I know the sound I'm getting is the one I'm meant to be getting?
Providing you know what you're doing, its no problem.

Setting the right pickup height for your sound is the problem - you've got to know what way you want them to sound!

A professional will still just set them up at an average height, so you won't get them set up the way you want unless you ask them.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
If you solder correctly, meaning you've soldered the correct wires in the correct places, and they are properly soldered, you're fine. It will sound like a guitar os supposed to sound.
I'm hungry.
Yea, like everyone else said, its not hard. As long as you can follow a picture, know a little bit about soldering thats about all there is to it...

Connect the hot wire here... connect the ground wires to ground (top of the pots)...

the hardest thing about it for me was getting the springs on, they kept popping off, but then I just cut the springs to get them the right length and it wasnt a problem...haha live and learn.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
here's what to do, look up a pickup wiring guide on the internet. most pickups use a universal wiring color code, but if you're putting in dimarzios search for the dimarzio wiring diagram. oh and most importantly dont cut the ground wire when you're taking out everything else.
I soldered a new pickup into my guitar a few months ago in my dorm room. Just had to be careful I didn't set the fire alarm off.

Anywho, the pickups usually come with a wiring diagram if I'm not mistaken. If by some chance it doesn't, it won't be hard to find on-line at all. As long as the person who is installing it knows how to work solder, you'll be fine.

-Dan
it's pretty simple stuff, and getting some guy to do it for you is really a waste of money. and it's a good thing to learn.

you buy a soldering kit for like $15 at The Source that comes with solder, and a de-solering tool
What are the chances of it messing up? My dad knows how to solder - I'm very confindent in his skills as an electrician, but he knows nothing about guitars (he thinks the pickups were microphones.... 0_O)
you just remove the old one and re connect the new one!

the most you can mess up is maybe melting a bit of the wire insulation
Quote by StiltonCheese
What are the chances of it messing up? My dad knows how to solder - I'm very confindent in his skills as an electrician, but he knows nothing about guitars (he thinks the pickups were microphones.... 0_O)

It's pretty hard to go wrong with replacing pickups. Worst you can do is leave burn marks in your guitar, or burn out a pot. Make sure you use a decent quality soldering iron that's at LEAST 30w for soldering to the back of pots.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
dont get a iron over 30watts, it'll burn ur pots. i use a 25watter.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
dont get a iron over 30watts, it'll burn ur pots. i use a 25watter.

Wrong. Wattage has nothing to do with temperature, only how much power the iron has to heat up a joint. Joints heating up quicker = less time components receive heat = less chance of damaging things.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."