i've got £300 maximum to spend on a new amp, and since I've never had a tube and have heard they beat solid state amps into fits, i thought I'd get one. I'll be using it for practice, recording and gigging and have heard that 30-50 watts will be acceptable. I play alsorts of styles ranging from Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz, so I'm after an all rounder amp. I'm not bothered if it has built in effects or not, as I already have a decent pedal board (Tubescreamer, Boss Digital Delay, Boss Tuner, Jim Dunlop Crybaby, MXR Phase 100). So I don't really need DFX. So yeah, 30-50 watt alround tube for less than £300
Look into Sound City amps. They do a 30w and 40w in your pricerange and are a nice amp apparently. Decent cleans, and they have a surprising amount of gain.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Not to be quoting your words or anything

And a VC30 will do light metal with an OD, fo' sho'.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ Not to be quoting your words or anything

And a VC30 will do light metal with an OD, fo' sho'.

Damn straight.

I can get a passable Master Of Puppets and Number Of The Beast tone out of mine, with some sort of boost.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
laney vc30 if you aren't too bothered about the metal...

if you are, maybe a peavey valveking (not that it's uber-br00tal, but it is more so than a vc30)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rhcp_freak
Damn straight.

I can get a passable Master Of Puppets and Number Of The Beast tone out of mine, with some sort of boost.

I can get heavier than that out of mine, just keep pushing those tubes!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
If you play more rock and jazz and less metal then I'd go for a Fender blues Jr (which is only 15 watts but I've seen a lot of peopl gig with this amp and they love it), or watch ebay for a used 2x12 blues Deluxe. If you are into good ol' rock then get a laney VC30 If you play more metal then go with a valveking. The best metal amps are way out of your budget so if your main focus is metal then it would be a good idea to keep saving.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
If you play more rock and jazz and less metal then I'd go for a Fender blues Jr (which is only 15 watts but I've seen a lot of peopl gig with this amp and they love it), or watch ebay for a used 2x12 blues Deluxe. If you are into good ol' rock then get a laney VC30 If you play more metal then go with a valveking. The best metal amps are way out of your budget so if your main focus is metal then it would be a good idea to keep saving.

Thanks for that, I've been thinking of a VC30 for some time now, cheers!
There's also the possibility of a Tiny Terror.. It can go surprisingly heavy on its own and with an OD will do a nice Metalica Chug.. The cleans are nice too! Not very loud though (not much headroom)

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
There's also the possibility of a Tiny Terror.. It can go surprisingly heavy on its own and with an OD will do a nice Metalica Chug.. The cleans are nice too! Not very loud though (not much headroom)

Don't Tiny Terrors need Cabs though?
Quote by beckyjc
^

And Laneys too of course. WOnt get you great metal tones but itll be fine with an od.

Really sorry to pull off a thread hijack here, but I notice you own and recommended a Laney valve combo. I have a brief question - is there anything to the stories of unreliability and other issues I've seen about them? I'm looking to buy a decent powered valve combo and the Laney VC30-212 is firmly within my price range...

If you don't want to reply here and steal a thread, I started a thread here / you're welcome to PM me with any advice.

Sorry again to the threadstarter, but I'm in the same boat as you!
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Really sorry to pull off a thread hijack here, but I notice you own and recommended a Laney valve combo. I have a brief question - is there anything to the stories of unreliability and other issues I've seen about them? I'm looking to buy a decent powered valve combo and the Laney VC30-212 is firmly within my price range...

If you don't want to reply here and steal a thread, I started a thread here / you're welcome to PM me with any advice.

Sorry again to the threadstarter, but I'm in the same boat as you!

lol np, ive been looking at the same amp!
Well, my thread just got resurrected and a whole bunch of people gave some good info about the Laney, might be worth your while looking over there.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
^On the Laney reliability question...out of all the LC series amps I've tried, about 25-30% have had minor problems of some kind - mainly concerning the spring reverb, on the ones that have it. However, the VCs seem a lot better built, inexplicably. I've heard of no major problems from any VC owners, but as it's a slightly newer series it may just be that the LCs I've tried were older models....who knows?
Either way, I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Quote by CorduroyEW

agreed.

it's hard to find really good high gain tube amps which are cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed.

it's hard to find really good high gain tube amps which are cheap.

Which is annoying because that's all that 90% of UGers ever want
yeah.

the amount of "I want the best amp for metal" threads there are, then you click on them and find the budget is $200...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?