Well I recently decided that after I get a new amp, that I'm gonna replace the pickups in my SG. I want it mostly for metal, but I want it to have a good clean sound too. So any suggestions? Oh and passives only please.
oh yeah, budget is about $200 but that has to include installation fees, and I live in the U.S.
Well, if you can install them yourself you will be saving a lot of money. It's pretty easy - all you need is a soldering iron and some solder, plus a couple of practice runs on some wire somewhere. As for pickups, perhaps a Seymour Duncan Custom or Custom Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck would work for you.
Quote by yoyodunno
I don't think there's too many pickups that are really good for high gain and also good for clean stuff.

They don't have to be exceptionally good for clean just tolerable, thats another reason of why I have the LP, is for mellower stuff.
Quote by Denthúl
Well, if you can install them yourself you will be saving a lot of money. It's pretty easy - all you need is a soldering iron and some solder, plus a couple of practice runs on some wire somewhere. As for pickups, perhaps a Seymour Duncan Custom or Custom Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck would work for you.

Thats what alot of people have suggested, and I was also thinking of maybe just changing the bridge pickup, and leaving the neck pickup alone. What do you guys think?
I didn't see that your SG was a Gibson. If I were you, I'd wait until you get the new amp and decide if they can do metal or not then.

By the way, what amp are you getting?
i find single coils much better for cleans, so definately look at something with a coil split option
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Denthúl
I didn't see that your SG was a Gibson. If I were you, I'd wait until you get the new amp and decide if they can do metal or not then.

By the way, what amp are you getting?

Right now its somewhat up to fate(parents). The amp that I have specifically asked for and will most likely get is a B-52 AT-112.
JB/59. most balanced combo ever.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i find single coils much better for cleans, so definately look at something with a coil split option

Thats a good idea, but it seems somewhat out of my price range.
You may find that you'll be able to get great tone with the stock pickups, then. If, however, you still feel that you need more, I think the Custom Custom would possibly give you that.
Quote by Denthúl
You may find that you'll be able to get great tone with the stock pickups, then. If, however, you still feel that you need more, I think the Custom Custom would possibly give you that.

Yeah that seems like a good idea.