Does swapping the pickups in a guitar really make a big difference in the guitar? Christmas is coming up, and my dad asked me what I wanted. I think I'm gonna ask him to buy me a new set of pickups for my Epiphone G-400, but I wanna know if it is really worth it? Does it make it sound that much better?

And, if I do get new pickups, what should I get? I play rock, but I like to have the metal sound. I do a lot of harmonics with my playing, so something that makes harmonics stand out and sound good.
Which Seymour Duncan would be best to get? I don't want to get a set, I only want a new pickup for the neck position. I never use the bridge pickup, as I have it set to 0 so I can use the toggle as a killswitch.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Which Seymour Duncan would be best to get? I don't want to get a set, I only want a new pickup for the neck position. I never use the bridge pickup, as I have it set to 0 so I can sue the toggle as a killswitch.

Well, it all depends on what tones your after.

Also, bridge pickups tend to be the top choice for harmonics and such, so you might want to consider replacing that pickup if that's what you're looking for.

Generally a high-output humbucker should suit you; check out brands like DiMarzio and Bareknuckles as well.

Also, a pickup swap is most useful if you have a good, preferably tube, amp. You'll still notice an improvement with a cheaper amp, but it might not be as good as you may have hoped for.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, it all depends on what tones your after.

Also, bridge pickups tend to be the top choice for harmonics and such, so you might want to consider replacing that pickup if that's what you're looking for.

Generally a high-output humbucker should suit you; check out brands like DiMarzio and Bareknuckles as well.

Would getting a pickup meant for the bridge position, and putting it in the neck position work, or no? If not, I could just use the bridge pickup rather than the neck.

Whether it makes a notable change depends largely on your amp.

I use a Fender De Ville tube amp. It's a pretty decent amp.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Whether it makes a notable change depends largely on your amp.

agreed- and also on what type of tone you're after, compared to which tone your stock pickups are aimed at.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, depending on what kind of amp you have, it might be a much better idea to improve on that first.
Quote by Delanoir
Yeah, depending on what kind of amp you have, it might be a much better idea to improve on that first.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-212?sku=480509
That's what I'm playing through. I don't really think I need to improve on it, it's a great amp. I'm just trying to think of something that I can get for Christmas, that my family could afford. I asked my mom for a Dunlop Wah, and I dunno what I want from my dad. I thought pickups might be a good gift, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty happy with the sound I have.
Quote by sobeisbull
yes, seymour duncan. do not get EMGs. its like amplifying a wooden trash can

Thats stupid, most of the worlds biggest artists use EMGs.
Manchester United
I think he was saying emg's in a cheaper electric guitar wouldnt sound any good, not that they where pickups... but im not sure, haha

what kind of music do you play?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
I think he was saying emg's in a cheaper electric guitar wouldnt sound any good, not that they where pickups... but im not sure, haha

what kind of music do you play?

I play pretty much anything, but I like applying the metal sound to rock. My band plays just generic rock, the guitar is influenced by Tom Morello a bit, but I want a metal sound. So, pickups that would be good for metal, but also good clean.
and you dont use your bridge pickup...?

...anyways, it changes the sound a lot, but usually what people say is that

the majority of your sound and tone come from your amp

and then the pickups.

and then the guitar (different woods make different sound)
so it will make a difference. I changed my stock gibson 490T (Or was it the R?) in my bridge, with a SD SH-5 to get a much brighter and trebly sound to get that angus young sound

A lot of people go with the seymour duncan jazz set. It has a SH-4, and a jb in it (I think thats right?)

but the sh-4 handles everything from rock to metal really well, and the JB can do cleans very nicely, so its a very nice set and you can get it for like 100 bucks, or 120 or something, its not bad at all.

Personally I like seymour duncans. But dimzarzio's are also a good choice if you know what you want. And gibson pickups are really nice, but cost a lot more, part of that is because all of gibsons pots come potted, and it has the gibson name on it.
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
From your type of playing I really suggest you get a Seymour Duncan JB-5 (I think thats the typenumber, could be wrong) Jeff Beck. There awesome for a rock/metal sound. For reference, Michael Ammott of Arch Enemy uses it, and the pickup sound is quite noticeable.

EDIT: And if you want a REALLY warm sound and your choice of tone starts and ends there, check out DiMarzio's (except the EVO's because there trebly =p).
Would the Seymour Duncan JBs be good for harmonics? I don't really know how much the pickups affect that, but I want something really good with pinch harmonics.
Output, the direction of mids (mids towards treble or towards bass) and amount of treble affect the harmonics mostly, but that's about all the info you can get about them from the tone chart.

In real life I found it quite different. The JB has quite a balanced tone chart, but in a guitar of moderate/nice quality (not some cheap ass china stuff) I found it to really squeel. It also depends a LOT on the body wood.

Tell me which wood you'de be using it in and I could give you a more accurate answer.
Quote by JaeSwift
Output, the direction of mids (mids towards treble or towards bass) and amount of treble affect the harmonics mostly, but that's about all the info you can get about them from the tone chart.

In real life I found it quite different. The JB has quite a balanced tone chart, but in a guitar of moderate/nice quality (not some cheap ass china stuff) I found it to really squeel. It also depends a LOT on the body wood.

Tell me which wood you'de be using it in and I could give you a more accurate answer.

My G-400 is made of Mahogany. Neck and body.
Honestly, the JB sounds the best in mahogony. The mids it has takes the direction towards treble but remains smoothe, and because mahogony is naturally a warm, bassier type of wood, it just sounds...damn nice =p

It squeels quite good but it depends on the resonation of the string on your mahogony body. If its lighter weight mahogony (in my experience) it squeels a bit more than on heavier mahogony.
Quote by JaeSwift
Honestly, the JB sounds the best in mahogony. The mids it has takes the direction towards treble but remains smoothe, and because mahogony is naturally a warm, bassier type of wood, it just sounds...damn nice =p

It squeels quite good but it depends on the resonation of the string on your mahogony body. If its lighter weight mahogony (in my experience) it squeels a bit more than on heavier mahogony.

So on a SG type body, it'd be good for squeals? I'm pretty interested in getting these, now.
Unless you have a distortion pedal, you're not going to get metal sounds from a Deville. And I'm not trying to **** on your rig, I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 1, 2007,
The JB is a very trebly pickup that does harmonics very well.

I think it's tone other than that hurts my ears, but the harmonics are very clear
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Unless you have a distortion pedal, you're not going to get metal sounds from a Deville. And I'm not trying to **** on your rig, I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations.

I do have a distortion pedal, and plan on getting a better one sometime in the next two weeks or so. I can get good metal sounds from it, just not from using the overdrive on the amp.
I loved my fender deville. I had a 2x12 hotrod, and I got it when I got a **** ton of money from graduating highschool from my family, but I didnt know a whole lot about amps at the time.

Honestly you wont get a good metal sound from it. You can get some decent distortion pedals to get enough gain, but you wont get a metal tone... If you play hard rock and metal id suggest getting a different amp... but thats just me and I know thats not what you asked... but hey just trying to be helpful.
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Pickups don't make a massive difference, it's a lot more subtgle than people make out. Everyone seems to want to change pickups these days, but to be honest it's just to look cool most of the times....it took me a couple of years before I could even spot the difference between singles and humbuckers by the sound alone, let alone different brands or models of pickup.

They aren't a beginner purchase, beginners want extreme results and noticeable changes painted in broad strokes, you simply don't get that from changing pickups. Like everyone says you have completely the wrong amp for metal tones, a cheap distortion pedal will do far more than all the pickup changes in the world.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Dimarzio x2n for super high output in the bridge, if not maybe breeds.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Quote by steven seagull
Pickups don't make a massive difference, it's a lot more subtgle than people make out. Everyone seems to want to change pickups these days, but to be honest it's just to look cool most of the times....it took me a couple of years before I could even spot the difference between singles and humbuckers by the sound alone, let alone different brands or models of pickup.

They aren't a beginner purchase, beginners want extreme results and noticeable changes painted in broad strokes, you simply don't get that from changing pickups. Like everyone says you have completely the wrong amp for metal tones, a cheap distortion pedal will do far more than all the pickup changes in the world.

K, so I'm not getting new pickups, then. I made this thread to ask if they make a huge difference, and I guess they don't.

I don't need a perfected sound, anyways. I'm not the type of person to get a guitar, and even change the action on it.

I'll probably ask my dad to buy me a Bigsby vibrato for my G-400 for Christmas, rather than pickups.
Last edited by AngelOfHatred at Dec 2, 2007,