My local guitar shop is selling these really cheap, and I've always wanted a whammy pedal, but the real deal is just way to expensive. But I'm really not sure if the whammy is anything good. I might just get it 'cos I don't have any form of a whammy pedal, but I would really like to know how good or bad these things are.
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
the only things good on it are some of the clean models and the modulation effects.
I don't have a volume pedal, so I can't use the wah very well.
But, most of their modulation effects are pretty good. The higher gain amp models are too digital and processed.

But, the drum machine is nice also. My skills improved drastically ever since I got the rp50. Plus, it'll help you out in a band setting so you can follow the drummer better and know how to keep rythym.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
meh. i borrowed an rp50 once just so i could dink with the different effects. i gave it back after a while and havent looked back.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I had an RP50 once, which is like the RP80 without the pedal I think. The distortion patches in it were pretty weak and didn't sound very good IMHO. The noise supressor worked alright I guess and some of the modulation effects were pretty cool. From the looks of things, the pedal looks really flimsy and it'll probably break really easy.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well, you need to know how to use it right.
If you're just using it to add some "digital" sounds to your tone, like flange or chorus or stuff like that, it's actually quite good. The delays are good too, and it has many types of reverb too, but if you have a good amp, then the reverb on the amp should be better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well the only reason is I want a whammy pedal =) And this one is supposed to have the same one as the Digitech Whammy one, so I should be alright. Also, some of the digital effects could be nice. But I'm not really sure on the flimsiness, 'cos it looks rather weak....
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
using it for just the whammy effect will probably suck a lot of your tone
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
with a multifx, and a pretty cheap one at that, you will be lucky if it Sounds as good as a straight up Whammy. and the odds are Far less that the sweep will be anything commendable.

it should suffice but i would make sure to know your return policy from wherever you get it, just in case.

edit:

Quote by phatsack
using it for just the whammy effect will probably suck a lot of your tone

it would. even the original WH1 thats so prized that it goes for 500 dollars easily Used had some problems with tone sucking if i remember right; the reissues Definitely suck at least a lttle tone, and a cheap remake of a cheap reissue will be more of the same most likely

honestly, if all youre Really jonesing for is the whammy part of it, and you can live without the other doodads, then get the reissue whammy. it will be a lot better quality whammy effect, and worst case scanario retains its value pretty well as far as ive seen
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Last edited by boardsofcanada at Dec 1, 2007,
Yeah, don't get an RP for just the whammy.
But it's great for having a bunch of modulation effects on tap if you want to play around with them so you know what you want when you get more cash for gear.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, I have an rp-50 too, and it rocks my socks. The versatility is just incredible.
So, with a whammy...sure, you should buy it. I'm hopefully gonna get a Morley lil' alligator volume pedal at chrsitmas though. Cause I wish I could control the effects in their 3rd dimension.

Good luck with that!
Quote by uldhppi
Digitech is not good stuff.

Obviously you've never played a bad monkey.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i've got an rp50, it'd be good for practice in a pinch, but i don't think i'd use it for anything where other people would be listening to me.

the bp50 is still usable to me for when i record bass surprisingly enough..

the zoom g2 would be a good step up from the rp50, while still staying in the realm of "budget"

(one of the recordings in my profile was done with a G2 actually can you guess which one?)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

It has some nice effects, whammy is nice but it only has one setting and like others have said it does have major tone issues. Drum machine is nice & helped my playing out alot but the plastic button broke after adjusting the tempo so many times & I eventually had to take it apart to fix the volume control. The volume works again, but now the pedal and drums won't work. I really like the whammy though so i'm getting a wh-1 or wh-2 myself. I think it's worth it in the long run & a huge time saver instead of channeling through effects when you're trying to record something or practice.
So I should be better of saving up for a real Whammy pedal?
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
If you were just going to use the RP for whammy (not it's other features), then save up for a real whammy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The old RP's have their own kinda sound, IMO though id save or try to get one of the new ones they are amazing pedals.