First off, try and play it if you can.

Or if not that a strat of similar qualities/specs etc.

Just check you like it.

Also what kinda music you into? If you're more into metal you'll want some humbuckers, but if you're an indie kid that strat's singlecoil pick-ups will do fine.
if you have money to buy another guitar in about a year (depends on how fast you learn) then go ahead. or if your not sure your going to continue with guitar get it.

if your really set on learning and becoming good at guitar i'd spend a little more for a better guitar thats not a peice of junk waiting to fall apart and an amp that is nicer.
OMG...i'm a girl.

GOO INDIGO TEAM!

X
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
First off, try and play it if you can.

Or if not that a strat of similar qualities/specs etc.

Just check you like it.

Also what kinda music you into? If you're more into metal you'll want some humbuckers, but if you're an indie kid that strat's singlecoil pick-ups will do fine.

im into lots of music like guns n roses, blink 182, the fall of troy, killswitch engage, my chemical romance, rage against the machine. just to name a few theres way more but i listen to almost all types of rock.
Quote by XcadeyX
if you have money to buy another guitar in about a year (depends on how fast you learn) then go ahead. or if your not sure your going to continue with guitar get it.

if your really set on learning and becoming good at guitar i'd spend a little more for a better guitar thats not a peice of junk waiting to fall apart and an amp that is nicer.

what is one that u might recommend, also im not looking to spend an insane amount of money so id like to buy one 300 or under
Quote by rockrocks247
im into lots of music like guns n roses, blink 182, the fall of troy, killswitch engage, my chemical romance, rage against the machine. just to name a few theres way more but i listen to almost all types of rock.

blink use singlecoils like the strat, but for the rest they use humbuckers. They give a more like...meaty tone.

But as people above have said, it might be worth getting that at first to see if you like guitar, then get a humbucker or better strat/singlecoil pickuped guitar when you know you like it.

I'll go look see if I can find a humbucker started pack for same price just in case
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Player-Pack-102920451-i1150173.gc

That (in my opinion) is a much better deal.

Better amp, humbuckers, same price...

Btw sorry it took so long, my internet was going weird, this is like the 8th time I've posted this!

Hope all this helps.

Good luck on the guitar playing
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Player-Pack-102920451-i1150173.gc

That (in my opinion) is a much better deal.

Better amp, humbuckers, same price...

Btw sorry it took so long, my internet was going weird, this is like the 8th time I've posted this!

Hope all this helps.

Good luck on the guitar playing
thanks ill probably get this one
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
blink use singlecoils like the strat, but for the rest they use humbuckers. They give a more like...meaty tone.

But as people above have said, it might be worth getting that at first to see if you like guitar, then get a humbucker or better strat/singlecoil pickuped guitar when you know you like it.

I'll go look see if I can find a humbucker started pack for same price just in case

Blink do not well did not use single pick ups and squiers are not bad started guitars despite what people say on here, so yeah go for it if you like it.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Quote by Lycan_Ste
Blink do not well did not use single pick ups and squiers are not bad started guitars despite what people say on here, so yeah go for it if you like it.

Hmm...I always thought Tom did use 'em, at least in the beginning.

But I'm not a massive fan.

And I'm not saying they're bad guitars, I'm just saying that the Epiphone pack looks better, value wise.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Dec 1, 2007,
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
Hmm...I always thought Tom did use 'em, at least in the beginning.

But I'm not a massive fan.

And I'm not saying they're bad guitars, I'm just saying that the Epiphone back looks better, value wise.

Well he used a les paul at the start and then went through quite a few guitars but most had twin humbuckers.

Try to play a epiphone and a squier at a local shop and see which you prefer is all i can suggest.

ok ill check at the store how they both are but can someone comment on the ibanez i posted above?
I personally prefer the look of an ibanez but you should really try them out to see which suites you more.

I'd suggest a better squier, like a standard of even affinity series,...i think that one is a bullet? or a little worse than the other two...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
I can't be specific but make sure you check you the guitar first hand at the store, ask them to let you play it. If you don't know anything about guitars get a friend who does to tag along so the clerk doesn't take advantage of you.

Look out for uneven frets, crooked frets, cracks, dents or scratches on the guitar and try to negotiate if you find anything [don't buy it if it has uneven frets though] but be reasonable. Make sure the fret board isn't too big or too small for your hand or you'll have trouble moving around on it. Every guitar is different so just because it's a certain brand it could still have some defects.

I didn't check for these things and ended up buying a low end guitar. It wasn't a rip off but I would have preferred to get something that might last longer and sound better.

I know it sounds paranoid but I'd hate for anyone to get discouraged from playing guitar because of bad gear.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Who the hell would build a Hospital inside of a Helicopter?
Quote by rockrocks247
what is one that u might recommend, also im not looking to spend an insane amount of money so id like to buy one 300 or under

epiphone g-400 or les paul would be better. they're typically around 299 i think at musicansfriend.
as for an amp you'd probably be happy with a spider III 15w
OMG...i'm a girl.

GOO INDIGO TEAM!

X
Dude, if its your first guitar, get an acoustic. Its a tiny bit tougher to play, but theres way less hassle and a lot less things to go wrong. The last thing a beginner should be worrying about is things like EQ tones, and which wire goes in which jack, and things like that. Acoustics are just better suited for a beginner.
Quote by rockrocks247
ive never played guitar so im looking for something cheap but good for my first guitar and i came across this i was wondering if its worth it. i want to get it for christmas

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-SE-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Squier-SP-10-Amp-104486238-i1177837.gc

I would go for this one, the Frontman Amp is crap, I bough this outfit a little while ago.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Strat-HSS-with-G-DEC-Junior-Amp-512577-i1174774.gc
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
I'd try all of the ones posted above and maybe some others if you can, then you can decide yourself.

I mean, I recommended an Epiphone SG last night to you cause that's personally my preference as I hate strats, but you may find the strat works better for you, or the Epiphone Les Paul...

It's all a matter or your preference.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more help

For some reason I've taken a liking to you and this thread...