Hi I searched around here on UG and all I can find are suggestions for really expensive equipment. I'm not interested in doing anything extraordinary here, all I want to do is play my guitar through my computer speakers and record some tracks and stuff. Maybe one day add a mic or something but I'm not looking to do that just yet. Also adding effects and junk might be fun.

Google lead me to the Line 6 toneport series, is a good product to start? The $70 one seems the most affordable. I also found the audacity thread, but I still need a way to hook up my guitar to the PC, right?

Also keep in mind that mainly I will be using my acoustic guitar (which is acoustic-electric, so it can be hooked up to amps). I'm not taking my electric with me (yet) when I move away for school in January.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
The digitech seems like more of a multi-FX pedal though, with the option of plugging into your computer. Just from the product description it sounds like they just threw in the usb option because they can. Anybody else use this?
The Tone Port is pretty decent for the price. If you get the UX2 model, it has phantom power so you can use it for recording with a mic too. The GearBox amp modelling software that comes with it is ok. I've recorded some tracks with it, and it doesn't sound too bad I guess. Although I hope it will sound better when I can afford an XLR cable for my microphone so I can mic up my amp instead. Oh, and I've used the UX2 with and electro-acoustic as well, by the way. It works fine.
i love toneport. get it lol
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by curlyhead_P
if you're going to be using an acoustic, you should definately get a microphone.

i'll suggest the Shure SM58 and the MXL 990/991 package. They're very affordable mics, but with the MXLs you'll need an interface with phantom power.

But he'll still need some kind of preamp to make it sound good, which means buying more stuff. And since it's an electro-acoustic, he can plug it directly into an USB interface. If he gets one that has XLR input(s) with phantom power, he can upgrade with a mic later.
Yeah I'd rather just plug it in and record. Otherwise I'd have to buy a mic and something like the toneport to record. I'd rather cut out the middle man and just plug er in. I assume you can use the toneport to record with audacity or adobe audition if I wanted to, right?
go to the "riffs and recordings" forum. besides people just posting songs, there's a wealth of info there about how to setup any kind of home studio.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I did go there and I read some recommendations threads and all the gear was like $300+, which I have no interest in spending. So I figured I would check with my trusty guitar gear section.
Hey! I'm going to commit yet another UG sin, and cross-post this slightly edited reply I wrote in another thread . . .

You may want to consider an inexpensive ($99) large-diaphragm condensor mic for miking your acoustic guitar. Then, go with an inexpensive "starter" DAW, like Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3, also for $100. Then, you'd need a PC audio interface. I have an old Tascam USB interface, and it works like a charm. The new version, the Tascam US-122L, is only $129, and basically has everything you need to record to your PC (1/4" phone, high-Z guitar input, phantom-powered XLR mic inputs, etc.). The Tascam is inexpensive and totally does the job.

"Starter" Home Guitar Recording Set-up for Acoustic Guitar:

• Inexpensive large-diaphragm condensor mic for acoustic guitar $100
• Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 $100
• Tascam US-122L $129
• Total: $329 USD

Although this is a "starter" package, it's actually a pretty tight system. I've personally used every piece of gear I mentioned above (albeit, versions released some time ago), and it all works, and it's all pretty easy to use. So, if you can eventually scrape up $329, you can get this this fairly capable system and have excellent results.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I don't think I'd be using it that much to justify spending $329. Just every now and then. Also I'm from Canada where every one of those items will be significantly more expensive. I think the toneport thing is probably the way to go.
Lets start at the bottom. You can record your A/E by just getting a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plugging it directly into your sound card. Most A/E's are active and have a 9V battery so you should have plenty of gain. You generally have a line in and a mic in port. The mic in is mono so it should be good. Just get a 1/4 to 1/8" mono adapter.

Some people will tell you the mic in is noisy. The standard PC design has an extra gain circuit in the mic port. This circuit can be disabled by accessing the record mixer panel. Look for a button associated with the mic. It will bring up a dialog that allows you to enable/disable the 20DB gain circuit. If you guitar has enough output then disable the 20DB boost.

Next up would be a preamp. Musciansfriend has an Art tube preamp for $30.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

IMO these things are a steal. They work great and can be used to amplify a mic or guitar. Plus they provide phantom power for condenser mics. You still need the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

Higher up in cost and functionality is a mixer. Mixers are great if you need to run a mic and a guitar. Add a few bucks and you can get a mixer with USB recording functionality. A nice feature to get in a mixer is reverb FX. You may find that you would use it a lot.

The Toneport is great for recording with FX. Since you are using an acoustic, you may not need FX. But I'm the kind of guy that would use FX with my acoustic. In fact I just did my first cover song yesterday. CCR's Up Around the Bend. You can hear it on my soundclick page listed in my sig. I ran my Acoustic through a distortion pedal. Plus I recorded it with a mic at the same time. So I have two tracks of the same playing sounding like two guitars.