Page 1 of 3
I've been listening to them a lot recently. Ian Brown is a poet. They really don't get the respect they deserve for influencing, well, probably nearly every band talked about in the Alternative/Indie forum.

What do you think?
I love the Stone Roses, they're one of my favorite bands now but Ian Brown's live vocals aren't too great...
Does anyone know how to get that elephant noise at the beginning of "Elephant Stone"? I can't even come close to doing anything like that
only recently for liam gallagher though, Ian never sounds good live, liam is hit and miss these days.

but **** man, i was listening to the debut non stop yesterday, completely blows my mind everytime i put it on,

i was watching vids on youtube, ian brown is SUCH an amazing frontman, completley grabs you in.

John Squire is one of the most inovative and greatest guitarists, completely underated, his use of the wah is SO inspiring.
Reni's beats are mental,
and Mani? the bassline too i wanna be adored, need i say more?

I wanna be adored in 1985 very early performance, when they were still going for a more punk sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnfq_sko3Gk

Elephant Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSTkdOmsr-w

AMAZING performance of I am the Resurection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBRNexKb-Cg

Made of stone (power cut) it's funny, Ian brown shouting 'AMATEURS, AMATEURS':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGTQgvCPOU

Most if not all current brittish bands say the Stone Roses are their main influence, Even Alex Turner says the stone roses/ian brown were a massive influence, Liam started oasis after seeing the stone roses...

Did you here the story of how they all went round to their first record deal's boss's house knocked on the door and threw paint on him because he rerealeased sally cinnamon and made a video without their permission?
Goo Goo G'Joob
well they were one hit wonders (one album) but WHAT an album it was. that self titled record was the best record of 89, and one of the best of the 80's.

'Waterfall' is the perfect song. and 'Don't Stop' that follows it is genius.
See.....big sunglasses, not Emperor sunglasses, BIG sunglasses
I absolutely love The Stone Roses' The Stone Roses. Actually, I really, really feel like listening to them now...but I will finish listening to Pretty Hate Machine first.

They truly are an excellent band, and that album is absolute brilliance. I am rather jealous.
Yes I'm glad someone opened up a post about them. They are my fave British band of all time and their music gets better with time. In my opinion the Stone Roses had a great togetherness about them when they made their first album and as musicians they were all very good at what they did. The second album got slated but it was released at a time when Oasis and Blur took over and anything English was in. The Second Coming had more of an american hard rock sound to it with some tunes being mellow and folkier which but the critics off.
^ that live version of sally cinnamon is amazing. it's the best i have heard Brown sing at a show
They're a great band. Lately, I've been trying to emulate John Squire's guitar tone. He obviously uses a wah-wah and probably some sort of chorus, but what else is in there?
I really don't like Brown's new single. I don't believe in what he's singing about. Never thought Ian Brown was the protest type.
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
They're a great band. Lately, I've been trying to emulate John Squire's guitar tone. He obviously uses a wah-wah and probably some sort of chorus, but what else is in there?

http://www.pdmcauley.co.uk/guitaristpages/pedal/PEDALS.HTML I found this interesting. You may well do too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Great band. John Squire's guitar work on the first album is really underrated, or at least underappreciated. I've never heard anyone speaking of John Squire as an influence on their guitar playing. Strange when you think of how ****ing brilliant his guitar work on that album was.

Quote by Phillipa C.
'Waterfall' is the perfect song. and 'Don't Stop' that follows it is genius.
Yeah, Waterfall is an amazing song and so is Don't Stop. My favourite song of s/t is probably 'Shoot You Down', though. But really, they're all great.
Quote by European Son
I've never heard anyone speaking of John Squire as an influence on their guitar playing.

I generally namecheck him amongst my influences. My own way of playing and the way I use effects is heavily inspired by him. In all honesty I prefer him to Johnny Marr. I'm probably in the minority there.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
I generally namecheck him amongst my influences. My own way of playing and the way I use effects is heavily inspired by him. In all honesty I prefer him to Johnny Marr. I'm probably in the minority there.

Johnny Marr or John Squire? It's a tough call, but I think I prefer Squire as well, to be totally honest. Although I really like Marr's playing too. The only diffrence is that there's more to draw from Johnny Marr's guitar playing as The Smiths have a bigger catalouge. It's kind of hard to be influenced by Squire since there's barely any talk about him and because nobody's ever really cared to "analyze" John's giutar playing really deeply, as opposed to Marr. But, yeah, Squire has a better overall sound than Marr IMO.
Last edited by European Son at Dec 6, 2007,
Quote by Caustic

Well, I think I agree with you. I love the Smiths and all, but it seems like there's more to Squire's playing than to Marr's. Like 'I Wanna Be Adored,' for example. There's nothing in the Smiths' catalogue that deliciously ethereal.
Yeah, Squire sems to have a hell of a lot of texture to his playing, and he really knew exactly how to work his gear for the right sound. Marr and Squire are only superficially similar - their busy approach to picking, and for me Squire comes out ahead.

A crying shame Squire gave up music to paint pretty pictures
no one has posted here in a while....

anyway, it's incredibly hard to find any stone roses albums in the stores where i live. i finally found their debut album and it's currently wrapped up underneath the X-mas tree. my new, physical version has elephant stone and fools gold on it, which is different than the one i downloaded...are there seperate american/british versions of this album? and if so, are some songs mixed differently like "resurrection" is on " the complete stone roses"?
Quote by strat335

anyway, it's incredibly hard to find any stone roses albums in the stores where i live. i finally found their debut album and it's currently wrapped up underneath the X-mas tree. my new, physical version has elephant stone and fools gold on it, which is different than the one i downloaded...are there seperate american/british versions of this album? and if so, are some songs mixed differently like "resurrection" is on " the complete stone roses"?

Yes, the American version has "Elephant Stone" and "Fools Gold" added. Apart from that, I think the only difference is an extended intro to "She Bangs The Drums."
so i think i have heard all of the first album and part of the second. neither of them did much for me.

are there a few tracks you can suggest for me to listen to a second time that will either convince me otherwise or seal the deal on me liking them?
The Stone Roses are a great band but what I dont get is that everyone loves the first album which I have on Vinyl and love.... but I think the second album is better. The whole of the world seems to disagree that its even a good album.

I genuinely love the second coming, in its era its up there with Definately Maybe and Up to Our Hips.

Live, Ian Brown is poor. Thats one of the biggest letdowns about the band.
Quote by strat335
Does anyone know how to get that elephant noise at the beginning of "Elephant Stone"? I can't even come close to doing anything like that

He's using overdrive, chorus and his wah-wah pedal, alternating between F and D# notes.
Quote by uhh_me?
so i think i have heard all of the first album and part of the second. neither of them did much for me.

are there a few tracks you can suggest for me to listen to a second time that will either convince me otherwise or seal the deal on me liking them?

Heh, if "I am the Resurrection" doesn't do it for you, then you might not be a Stone Roses fan. That's one of the standouts on the album. "She bangs the drums" is a classic pop tune, "Elephant Stone" also. "Waterfall" is probably my favorite on the album.

When I was building my pedal set I referenced this a lot:
http://www.pdmcauley.co.uk/guitaristpages/pedal/PEDALS.HTML

I managed to get the same chorus and basically the same overdrive, more or less by accident--I tried out a few and they just happened to be the ones I liked the most. Kick on the overdrive, chorus, delay and you've got a sweet John Squire guitar sound!
Last edited by progressions at Dec 23, 2007,
Quote by strat335

"The Complete Stone Roses" is all their singles, I believe, which has stuff like the very bizarre 3-minute mix of "I am the Resurrection".
Quote by progressions
Heh, if "I am the Resurrection" doesn't do it for you, then you might not be a Stone Roses fan. That's one of the standouts on the album. "She bangs the drums" is a classic pop tune, "Elephant Stone" also. "Waterfall" is probably my favorite on the album.

When I was building my pedal set I referenced this a lot:
http://www.pdmcauley.co.uk/guitaristpages/pedal/PEDALS.HTML

I managed to get the same chorus and basically the same overdrive, more or less by accident--I tried out a few and they just happened to be the ones I liked the most. Kick on the overdrive, chorus, delay and you've got a sweet John Squire guitar sound!

Top man, cheers, I've been searchin for this info for bloody ages!!

Cheers mate
Fantastic Band, but please be aware that although Ian Brown is superb, John Squire seemed to be a part of everything that was good about the Roses..
Quote by the5thlibertine
Fantastic Band, but please be aware that although Ian Brown is superb, John Squire seemed to be a part of everything that was good about the Roses..

Yeah, not forgetting Mani & Reni either!! Ian Brown - great frontman but probably the weak link musically (altho his voice suited the time - slightly hypocritical!). Seen him live recently & he sucked!! But with the Roses he was ideal!
Quote by stevea
Yeah, not forgetting Mani & Reni either!! Ian Brown - great frontman but probably the weak link musically (altho his voice suited the time - slightly hypocritical!). Seen him live recently & he sucked!! But with the Roses he was ideal!

Of course, how could i forget Mani & Reni!? Squire is a superb guitarist though one of my favourites along with Marr.
Quote by Caustic
http://www.pdmcauley.co.uk/guitaristpages/pedal/PEDALS.HTML I found this interesting. You may well do too.

HELP!!! Anyone have these settings saved anywhere, I've been trying to log on to this site & it seems to have gone down over the past week or so, please help, I need these desperately - if not, any more Stone Roses/John Squire rig set up pages?

Cheers
The Stone Roses are pretty dang good. They have alot going for them, despite the fact that they've only had two albums. They are the founders of the Britpop movement and have had incredible songs. They're one of the only good Britpop bands, including Oasis, James, Suede, the Stereophonics, and the newer ones, like Coldplay and Kasabian. I don't think Morrisey is any good, as a vocalist. Of course, Ian Brown is great. The second album is very dance/hard rock oriented, which is good, when it accompanies a vocalist that doesn't have a breathy voice. Their first album is their magnum opus.
Couldn't ever really get 'em until now.....****in amazin band. "Made of Stone" best song Gotta love the drummers hat
I've always wondered that, hen. It's only 50 or so seconds long, doesn't really matter too much. it's very dark sounding, I love it!
Elizabeth my dear is a song that ian brown wrote and its how he couldnt care if queen elizabeth dies. Brown is very un-natiolist. Once at a gig he told some to stop waving the union jack flag!

Btw Stone roses are my faverouite band!

There lyrics are great and squire is amazing on guitar!
We are the mods!
nice to have some sense come from a march '08er, most posts from newer members are usually nonsense.

I finally bought the physical version of their debut. It feels good to own the real cd of a band you love
ah thanks strat335.. it was also my first post, this is my second

Yes i prefer stone roses album to second coming. I only wish squire and brown started talking again!
We are the mods!
Page 1 of 3