Is the banjo played just like a guitar except tuned differant?
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
5 strings
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Yep, and the fifth string only goes halfway up. But you can get four-stringers which are just like "normal".

And yeah, they're not much different really. It's more common to be played fingerstyle with fingerpicks, but it's all up to personal preference I guess.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
The neck is heaps different than a guitar neck.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
the tuning is different, thus chords are played differently. but the biggest difference i think is that there is more emphasis on your picking hand rather than your fretting hand.

in other words, 75% of learning how to play the banjo is learning how to fingerpick and different techniques and stuff

(if that makes sense at all)
Yeah, the six stringers can be tuned the same as guitar, I think I'm gonna get one to record one of my songs that's more country-ish...Anyone know what's the cheapest one, since I won't use it much?
I saw a six stringer at GuitarCenter last time I was there and fooled around with it, IIRC it was like $250. I don't remember who it was made by or anything.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
5 string banjos:
the highest string is situated above the lowest string, it starts half way up the neck and isn't normally fretted but just strummed, it's purpose is to add more brightness to the chords.

the lowest string is a D
the secound lowest string is a G
the second highest string is a B
the highest string is a D

So essentially, it's the top four strings of a guitar with the high E tuned to a D.

My advice, if you want a banjo, buy a cheap 5 stringer, you will pick it up very quickly.

I got a banjo a couple of months ago, they aren't hard to figure out at all, but its worthwhile learning how to play them in a traditional fashion.
Goo Goo G'Joob
No, you can get a six string banjo and tune it the same as a guitar though, just like what was said above.

I'll add this though, they actually start at very cheap prices for banjo-guitars. I was very suprised how reasonable it was. Might get one...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Delanoir
If you play one, you can't forget

MASTER OF BANJOS

LOL is that a FR
Quote by fatwanker
LOL is that a FR

I didn't even notice the FR before!!!

my uncle plays the banjo. I wish I had a six stringer with an FR on it, I'd own him
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Saint Lennon
5 string banjos:
the highest string is situated above the lowest string, it starts half way up the neck and isn't normally fretted but just strummed, it's purpose is to add more brightness to the chords.

the lowest string is a D
the secound lowest string is a G
the second highest string is a B
the highest string is a D

So essentially, it's the top four strings of a guitar with the high E tuned to a D.

My advice, if you want a banjo, buy a cheap 5 stringer, you will pick it up very quickly.

I got a banjo a couple of months ago, they aren't hard to figure out at all, but its worthwhile learning how to play them in a traditional fashion.

What is standard tuning for a 5 string?
G (Highest) D (Lowest) G (Second Lowest) B (Middle) D (Second Highest).

For a five string.

EDIT: It's the most common anyway.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Last edited by Hobolad at Dec 1, 2007,
Quote by Delanoir
If you play one, you can't forget

MASTER OF BANJOS

HOLY SH*T A FLOYD ROSE ON A BANJO!

I want
no...banjo is played by rolling kinda like arpegiating strings..it also uses a lot of string skipping and pinky rolls. the the top string is used like a folk guitar teqniche...but no..u would need to learn banjo seperatly