so in a topic in the pit someone posted a link to a youtube vid featuring Johnny Demarco using a roland cube 60. This guy is incredible. He has a mastery of multiple styles. How do I learn to play like that? I know working on scales and technique alone won't get me there. Here's the video.
Quote by Spamwise
How do I learn to play like that? I know working on scales and technique alone won't get me there.

-Well, if you think that practising won't take you that far, then you should obviously purchase "Cube 60".
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
if he couldn't play the guitar, i don't know how he could ever get laid.. he looks like a toad.

unless he was a magician.. everyone wants a piece of a magicians ass.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by Der Bomber
-Well, if you think that practising won't take you that far, then you should obviously purchase "Cube 60".

did I say practicing won't take me there? No. I said working on scales and technique alone won't do it.

GTFO the internet and PLAY THE GUITAR

i take saturdays off of guitar.

come on guys, this isn't the pit. i expected intelligent replies.
Quote by Spamwise
did I say practicing won't take me there? No. I said working on scales and technique alone won't do it.

i take saturdays off of guitar.

come on guys, this isn't the pit. i expected intelligent replies.

what the hell? shut up, you cant bitch about how you cant play guitar and then say "i take saturdays off".
thats stupid
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
why do u think scales and technique won't get u 'there'?

all musical styles are based around different scales and techniques... so its pretty much the foundation u need.

all u need to do is look into different genres and analyse what makes it different to another genre. pick out certain aspects and incorporated it into your practicing routine by learning certain songs of that style.
I like that guy: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=zS8Q5Tn0mRw

Quote by The*Music*Man
what the hell? shut up, you cant bitch about how you cant play guitar and then say "i take saturdays off".
thats stupid

First: Don't double post.
Second: Don't be an ass.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Dec 1, 2007,
Quote by metal4all
I like that guy: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=zS8Q5Tn0mRw

First: Don't double post.
Second: Don't be an ass.

yes sir, ill be sure to take that into accout next time mister. golley, if you wouldnt have told me that i probably would be lost in he world. Thank you sir, i respect and fear YOU!!!!

get a life asshole

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
Quote by Spamwise

-Alright, "Working on" can mean practise, lad.

You say you want to master multiple styles, my suggestion will have to be that you listen to a broad variety of genres.

You'd be surprised of how much you can learn just by mimicking.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Quote by The*Music*Man
thats stupid

actually i'm a pretty decent guitar player. everyone needs a break now and then.

why do u think scales and technique won't get u 'there'?

because just knowing scales and having great technique isn't enough. you have to understand the theory and how scales are used in that music.

-Alright, "Working on" can mean practise, lad.

you completely missed the point of what i was saying. I was saying that I know I have to work more than just scales.
Quote by The*Music*Man
thats stupid

wow. Shut up. Taking a day of rest is actually really effective. Sure, you can noodle around, but you don't do your actual practice routine and stuff. Taking a "day off" rests your fingers. And he doesn't talk like a pedophile, he talks like a normal human being, asking for a decent response, which you're comment shows nothing of.

TS, I suggest practicing scales, even if you don't say so. I mean, they're great for the fingers and getting the fingers stronger and more flexible. They help string crossing and 3 note per string licks. Jam ALOT more, and learn some of your favorite riffs. Then practice licks, riffs, and create your own.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
wow. Shut up. Taking a day of rest is actually really effective. Sure, you can noodle around, but you don't do your actual practice routine and stuff. Taking a "day off" rests your fingers. And he doesn't talk like a pedophile, he talks like a normal human being, asking for a decent response, which you're comment shows nothing of.

TS, I suggest practicing scales, even if you don't say so. I mean, they're great for the fingers and getting the fingers stronger and more flexible. They help string crossing and 3 note per string licks. Jam ALOT more, and learn some of your favorite riffs. Then practice licks, riffs, and create your own.

yeah i spend about an hour each practice session on scales, and it's definitely helped my playing ability.
Quote by bluesrocker101

remember where you are and if i care or not.

and, its fine to take a day off or whatever, i dont care. But to have a set day every week seems excessive and lazy.i dont play guitar because i have to, so i dont set a time that i dont have to play it......... how do you not understand that?

ps, yes he does talk like a pedophile.

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
that guy isn't that great that guitar
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
Quote by The*Music*Man

and, its fine to take a day off or whatever, i dont care. But to have a set day every week seems excessive and lazy.i dont play guitar because i have to, so i dont set a time that i dont have to play it......... how do you not understand that?

well you have your opinion, and i have mine. i play guitar because i enjoy it. even so, people need breaks from things they enjoy.

all u need to do is look into different genres and analyse what makes it different to another genre. pick out certain aspects and incorporated it into your practicing routine by learning certain songs of that style.

any suggestions on how to "analyse" a song?
Quote by Spamwise
well you have your opinion, and i have mine. i play guitar because i enjoy it. even so, people need breaks from things they enjoy.

ok,

see, why the hell cant all problems be solved like that??!

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
Quote by bluesrocker101

Spamwise, dont listen to Danny, he knows shit all.

Love ya danny

But ya, just keep to what youre doing and you will be fine. Practicing an hour a day is a great way of getting much better at guitar, so just give yourself time.

Btw, so musicman, go to the pit and do that, you cant do that here, and if you think you are being all cool and what not by being angry, you arent.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Spamwise, dont listen to Danny, he knows absolutely ****.

Love ya danny

But ya, just keep to what youre doing and you will be fine. Practicing an hour a day is a great way of getting much better at guitar, so just give yourself time.

Btw, so musicman, go to the pit and do that, you cant do that here, and if you think you are being all cool and what not by being angry, you arent.

i actually spend about four hours playing. yeah I guess I should just give it time. that can definitely be hard though. thanks
Quote by Spamwise
i actually spend about four hours playing. yeah I guess I should just give it time. that can definitely be hard though. thanks

Ya, it is the hardest part cause you work so hard but get what seems like no where. Very discouraging. Thats why its always good to put on an old cd that you played during your first year of playing (for me its the chili peppers, i love relaxing and playing to them). It just reminds you why you picked up guitar in the first place.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by The*Music*Man

What do you mean "how do you not understand that?" Geez, some people are serious about guitar and really strive to improve, and they practice LOTS. They like the set routine and all that fancy stuff.

Oh Justin. I know soooo much more than you do. That must mean you know littler than ****.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by justin_fraser
Ya, it is the hardest part cause you work so hard but get what seems like no where. Very discouraging. Thats why its always good to put on an old cd that you played during your first year of playing (for me its the chili peppers, i love relaxing and playing to them). It just reminds you why you picked up guitar in the first place.

that's a really good idea. i'll have to try that
Quote by bluesrocker101

Oh Justin. I know soooo much more than you do. That must mean you know littler than ****.

Heres how I see it Danny...

Guitar gets you the slutty, skanky, whorish girls.

Singing gets you the clean, smart, beautiful girls.

So Danny, you can learn about the modes of the harmonic minor scale, while I sing harmonies WITH MYSELF and have all the ladies over me. So if you are cool with that, then good for you.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser

So Danny, you can learn about the modes of the harmonic minor scale, while I sing harmonies WITH MYSELF and have all the ladies over me. So if you are cool with that, then good for you.

hahaha too bad that's too long to sig.
Quote by justin_fraser

I happen to do both well. Woot. When you do both well, you get the "in betweens" which are the best. Smart, good looking, clean, but with a little wild side.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
I happen to do both well. Woot. When you do both well, you get the "in betweens" which are the best. Smart, good looking, clean, but with a little wild side.

Dude, you cant sing. Once you hit puberty, come back and talk to me, because keep in mind, its us low basses that get the girls, not the tenors. The tenors are basically gays or guys that havent hit puberty.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by Spamwise
because just knowing scales and having great technique isn't enough. you have to understand the theory and how scales are used in that music.

but u should be doing that as you practice your scales. at least i think u should. no point in learning where your fingers go if you don't know why they go there.
Quote by justin_fraser
Dude, you cant sing. Once you hit puberty, come back and talk to me, because keep in mind, its us low basses that get the girls, not the tenors. The tenors are basically gays or guys that havent hit puberty.

Nah man, I have hit puberty, nor am I gay. I don't see the effect of that comment. You only wish it was that way, but it isn't.

Anyways. Hadeed has a good point. Learning scales will get you there, but only focusing on scales won't. Jam alot more and be inspired.
DANNY

Ya, hadeed did have a really good point. Thats something I worry about because although I am taking a music theory course right now which is quite advanced (not compared to the almighty Danny though), I find it hard to apply it to guitar or bass. Im just hoping once I get into the chord stuff and composition I can apply it more.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help