I looked a while back at "The Rolling Stones" Top 500 greatest guitar solos of all time. And one thing that always bothered me was the "Stairway To Heaven" solo, is #1, and "Freebird" (The greatest composition ever created) is #2. WTF! Not taking anything away from Jimmy Page, or Led Zeppelin, but that is just wrong. "STH" is a great song, but its solo is not the best, "Freebird" wins hands down. Anyone else agree? This has just really bothered me, because it is stupid.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
yeah thats definately idiotic. the Stairway solo altogether is roughly a minute and a half, while the Freebird (FREEEEEBIIIIIIRD!!!!) solo is about 4 minutes. I fully agree with you
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
why is this in electric guitar? and why is there a thread about this?
**** that, their both not amazing songs.
theirs way better solo's both for feel and technicality.
I think trying to rate the best guitar solo's ever is the stupidest thing ever. End of story
The Pit. The Movie.
Stairyway to Heaven is a pure classic, but its one of the few led zep songs that I dont fancy the solo in.

Yea I agree with you, the one in Freebird is better, altho I find it too lengthy for my tastes. The overall feel of it just catches it more.
A list like that can never be made, because not everyone will agree with it.

I think that Stairway should be number 1, because the solo fits the song so perfectly, And don't get me wrong, I love Freebird, but I think it drags on a little too long.

But anyways, I'd put up your flame shield if I were you.

EDIT: Note that that was my OPINION.

I don't give a f*ck if you disagree.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Last edited by andy_thomas at Dec 1, 2007,
Quote by Spay
I think trying to rate the best guitar solo's ever is the stupidest thing ever. End of story

i agree.
Hey buddy, ever hear of an opinion?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Everyone knows that the best solo in the history of the world is in Sultans of Swing.
As far as songs where the solos really fit in, Comfortably Numb takes the cake.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Spay

Yes.
In general, trying to rate things that can't be measured and are purely based on opinion, is stupid. That being said, I love to hate lists, and I always read them and disagree. I don't get all fired up and post about it on the internet, though.
Quote by Will_Minus
Everyone knows that the best solo in the history of the world is in Sultans of Swing.
As far as songs where the solos really fit in, Comfortably Numb takes the cake.

You are absolutely correct.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
I think a list is stupis, I just posted this because I wanted to see what other people thought. IMO
1. A solo can never be too long.
2. Freebird is the greatest song ever made. Hands down. (Note: my opinion)
3. Trying to rate solos is wrong, unless of course you are choosing between a good song, and a piece of crap song.
But thanks for those that agree.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
What I'm wondering is how the hell Free Bird, Stairway, and Eruption beat out Comfortably Numb. That's the only injustice.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Lol, TS, your first mistake was reading anything that comes out of Rolling Stone. They've fallen to ****.
Be cool.
the studio version of Stairway isn't that great despite how iconic it is.

however....the live version from Madison Square Garden is the greatest guitar solo I have ever heard.

they shouldn't number these, the should just make a point list because there is no "greatest" and all their ****ty ass lists upset people anyways.
Quote by fafinaf
why is this in electric guitar? and why is there a thread about this?

because....like...the songs are played on electric guitars??? 0_o just a thot

and yea, i agree with the ppl above me, best is rly truly subjective. if your going by technical skills it would have to be from one of the great instrumentalists.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by What_is_my_name
I think a list is stupis, I just posted this because I wanted to see what other people thought. IMO
1. A solo can never be too long.
2. Freebird is the greatest song ever made. Hands down. (Note: my opinion)
3. Trying to rate solos is wrong, unless of course you are choosing between a good song, and a piece of crap song.
But thanks for those that agree.

lol....point 2 and 3 kinda contradict each other

but yes i agree
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by subliminaldelta
There is no "best" anything. **** Rolling Stone.

+1

I hate music mags that have nothing to do with the main idea....the music.

EX: Revolver, Rolling Stone, etc.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Shredder Guitar
yeah thats definately idiotic. the Stairway solo altogether is roughly a minute and a half, while the Freebird (FREEEEEBIIIIIIRD!!!!) solo is about 4 minutes. I fully agree with you

Weakest argument I've ever seen.

I can write a 30 minutes solo, but does that make it better than a 1 minute solo? No.
The only reason people think Free Bird is so great is because of its length. It the solo was broken into 4 solos in other random Lynyrd Skynyrd songs, no one would care about it. But for some reason people think Free Bird is incredible. I think it's incredibly overrated. It's a good solo, but number 2? Try number 20. I can think of a number of solos more deserving than free bird to grace number 2 in the list. As for stairway, it doesn't deserve number one but I still think its a lot better than free bird.
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Izzy Mandelbaum that old workout guy comes to get Jerry into shape, and he ends up in the hospital with his sons, and Jerry's dad walks around with a "#1 Dad" t-shirt, so Izzy gets a "World's Greatest Dad" t-shirt and then Jerry makes a crack about the lack of an official list for this type of thing.
Comfortably Numb solo. Fits the feel of the song perfectly, adds to it, is the perfect ending, has both feel and technicality. End of story.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
They're both iconic, and personally I think that Stairway is the better song and has a better solo, but I could think of numerous songs that have technically better and at least as powerful of solos.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by rush5757
Weakest argument I've ever seen.

I can write a 30 minutes solo, but does that make it better than a 1 minute solo? No.
The only reason people think Free Bird is so great is because of its length. It the solo was broken into 4 solos in other random Lynyrd Skynyrd songs, no one would care about it. But for some reason people think Free Bird is incredible. I think it's incredibly overrated. It's a good solo, but number 2? Try number 20. I can think of a number of solos more deserving than free bird to grace number 2 in the list. As for stairway, it doesn't deserve number one but I still think its a lot better than free bird.

i wasnt arguing you dunce, take a chill pill, and then sit down and be quiet. no ones wants to read a book in a comment box, ya ass.

and yes, i do believe Comfortably Numb would outdo any solo placed before. nothing can stop the sheer emotion pouring from Gilmours hands in that song
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
well...im ready to take a flaming for this, but what ever, its my opinions.

theres a reason that Freebird took the back seat, the solo is long sure, but its mainly just repeated stuff over and over and over. Personally to me, Lynyrd Skynyrd is over rated. You would have to go to my school to understand, to help you see where i come from heres a bit of info.

at my school, theres a group of people and you could consider them "popular" in 8th grade they were punk rockers, freshmen here they were hardcore, sophmore year they were metal, and then last year they became rednecks and all they talk about is southern rock and lynyrd skynyrd and drinking some Jack...lol...so just look at it from where i come from.
There's no point in arguing over this, no one will ever agree. My two cents, though: I agree, Freebird is way overrated. It's mainly repeated licks and I don't connect with it on any level. My favorite solo would probably be the No More Tears one.
Freebird is better that Stairway, but they're both good. And IMO niether are top 5. Technically, Freebird is, but Stairway shouldn't be, and I like others much better.

Again, I like em both lots.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I honestly could care less if Rolling Stone puts anything out of place on a list. They claim Kurt Cobain to be a better guitarist that EVH.

F*ck Rolling Stone. End of Story.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
I honestly could care less if Rolling Stone puts anything out of place on a list. They claim Kurt Cobain to be a better guitarist that EVH.

F*ck Rolling Stone. End of Story.

Thats just whack, Kurt was good when he was around, but he was no eddie for sure. As for the debate between the freebird and Stairway to Heaven solo's I have to take side with freebird. Led Zepplin rocks, but the solo of freebird blew me away, the way that they ripped that blues scale to shreads was amazing.
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30
Quote by RiFf_RoCk3r_24
Thats just whack, Kurt was good when he was around, but he was no eddie for sure. As for the debate between the freebird and Stairway to Heaven solo's I have to take side with freebird. Led Zepplin rocks, but the solo of freebird blew me away, the way that they ripped that blues scale to shreads was amazing.

He wasn't a good guitarist. He wasn't bad, but it's not like Kurt had an extra skill...he like only knew the basics.
Pshh. Everyone knows that the greatest solo of all time is the one in Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Even if Freebird isn't the most technical solo ever, I'd put it at #1, just because it's amazing.
Quote by Colgate Total
What I'm wondering is how the hell Free Bird, Stairway, and Eruption beat out Comfortably Numb. That's the only injustice.

hit the nail right on the head. Comfortably numb solo is at least the number 2 solo of all time, if not number 1.
I personally like both solos very much, but Stairway is basically the reason I took up guitar, although Freebird is just so groovin, the Straiway solo is a lot more emotional sounding.

Comfortably Numb wins though.

Best Solo Ever. End Of Argument.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
freebird isn't the best solo ever either. and you have to remember rolling stone goes by popularity with its rankings, it isn't a guitar magazine