Can anyone recommend some energetic jazz fusion? I've been listening to a lot of Return to Forever's more upbeat songs like Dayride, Medieval Overture, and Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy. I know the Mahavishnu Orchestra has a lot of upbeat songs, but are there any other groups that do?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
The song "Seven Sisters" by John McLaughlin is really intense. Then again, he was part of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, but it's not too similar to their stuff.

You could try some Weather Report. They have really intense compositions, and Al DiMeola isn't weak on the same subject as well.
The jazz student
I can't believe nobody has suggested mike stern. "Gossip" is a great one. Also try "chromazone"
Check out my latest recording on my profile
Quote by scheck006
I can't believe nobody has suggested mike stern. "Gossip" is a great one. Also try "chromazone"

I just downloaded those two and love them! Thanks for recommending them!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Check out such albums as Tribal Tech's Reality Check, Vital Information's Show 'Em Where You Live, some early Al Di Meola like Elegant Gypsy, Greg Howe's Introspection and Extraction, Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour's collab album Larry & Lee, Mark Varney Project's Truth In Shredding etc.