Compressor, distortion, new strings, raise your pickups, increase treble
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
That is easy. Get a set neck, and a gibson, or any guitar with humbuckers, put it in an amp, then get a distortion pedal, and set it to the max! there you go problem solved. (If you think I am being sarcastic I'm not. I am serious) Does anyone know why set necks improve sustain though?
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
set necks are bonded to the guitar body, thus the entire guitar "resonates" as one piece...unlike bolt-on necks, which form a kindof seperation between the body and neck, decreasing the sustain
"The road ahead is lined with broken dreams, so walk, just walk on by..."
Quote by What_is_my_name
Does anyone know why set necks improve sustain though?

there are less parts, the sound is dampened by a nut or space or w/e, it flows better

at least i think that its.

yea, a you can by compressor/sustainer pedals that will make your notes last longer, kinda nifty
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
honestly, i don't notice much of a difference in sustain between a good set-neck, a good neck-through, and a good bolt-on. easiest way to make your notes hold for longer? vibrato. might not be what you're thinking about, but you can make a note last pretty much forever with vibrato.
vibrato makes it go a little longer
when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace - jimi hendrix
a good bolt on will sustain just as good as a set neck, but a neck through has the most sustain, but like others have said, new strings, compressor, distortion, humbucker guitars
Quote by climhazzard
honestly, i don't notice much of a difference in sustain between a good set-neck, a good neck-through, and a good bolt-on. easiest way to make your notes hold for longer? vibrato. might not be what you're thinking about, but you can make a note last pretty much forever with vibrato.

Thank you.

People make too much out of the difference between set and bolt-on necks. A cheap bolt-on would probably have bad sustain, but there are heaps of good bolt-on guitars. Steve Vai doesn't seem to have any sustain issues with his JEMs.

That guy earlier in the thread who says set necks are better, then asks if anyone knows why, is just hilarious. Get off the bandwagon, guys.
The drawback with bolt ons is the neck heel, a problem solved or reduced by many means.

A well fitting bolt on sustains as well or better than a well set neck, and normally has a punchier and slightly more complex (to my ears in a "spicy" kind of way) tone.

Sustain - turn up / develop very good vibrato. Don't choke notes by pressing them down too hard. (The optimal pressure is right at the threshold where the string would buzz if you were any lighter)
Quote by Guitarman015
Compressor, distortion, new strings, raise your pickups, increase treble

correct me if I am wrong, but wont raising your pickups decrease your sustain? The strings being closer to the magnetic pickups would cause more magnetic pull on the strings, and therefore making them vibrate less because of the added resistence.

this is what I have heard and it makes sense, so I am pretty sure I am right.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
well im just playing some solos and my notes arent lastin as long as the songs that im trying to play along with.
Quote by buzzcut
correct me if I am wrong, but wont raising your pickups decrease your sustain? The strings being closer to the magnetic pickups would cause more magnetic pull on the strings, and therefore making them vibrate less because of the added resistence.

this is what I have heard and it makes sense, so I am pretty sure I am right.

you are correct.

Pickups too close to the strings drain your sustain like crazy.
Best option.

Buy a decent amp

Other options.
Improve your technique
Set up your guitar properly
Don't have old, cruddy strings
Learn to EQ
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The difference between the sustain of set-necks and bolt-ons is negligible at best.

The quality of the joint and the body have much more to do with sustain.

The bolt-on joints that they use on the Taylor electrics have heaps more sustain than most set-necks.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The biggest difference between set necks and bolt ons is that most of the bolt-on necks people remember playing also have tremolos, whereas most of the set necks they remember had fixed bridges....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i guess you could also just hold down your finger on the fret longer if you are such a noob you don't already do that....i guess we never addressed that as being the problem or not.
Ferdanas Sustainer system
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by RedMoonMan
i guess you could also just hold down your finger on the fret longer if you are such a noob you don't already do that....i guess we never addressed that as being the problem or not.

Wow, wish everyone was has helpful as you!

...spaz
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc