I've been playing guitar for nearly three years now. I can play other people's and band's stuff fairly well, but I can not come up with anything on my own at all--Nothing that I like, anyway.

I've tried the "start with a chord you like" idea, but it doesn't work too well for me. I usually end up with some generic sounding song, or a complete rip off of another particular song.

The best thing I've gotten so far is some pretty decent acoustic stuff with a capo. (Fingerpicking mostly, Andy Mckee/Folky sounding stuff. ) Which I really don't mind, but it's not what I'm going for. An example of the sort of sound I want would be Grunge-esque(Alice in Chains/Stone Temple Pilots) mixed with Metal(the Iron Maiden/FLAW kind.)

Any tips?
Last edited by Dethvone1 at Dec 1, 2007,
Don't think about it too much. The best of my riffs just came from improvisation.
I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
jam with some other people, the more ideas, the more possibilities you have to make a song you like
Quote by Zar938
jam with some other people, the more ideas, the more possibilities you have to make a song you like

As much as I'd like--no, LOVE to, I live in a very small ( I mean...realllly small) area and no one else listens or plays my type of music, except for one person and they're too busy working so they can afford to keep working.

Rap and Hip-hop has infested this place. It makes me sad. :<
play around for a while and something will come out....eventualy. maybe it wont be great, but if you continue to explore further you may get something better.

Other "method" you could try is to simply start singing something like what you want to play. Your own voice will naturaly flow to other melodies. When you got smthing you like play it in your guitar....