Hi,

Would that work? I am super fed up w/ lockin nuts, but I think the rolling nut and Locking Tuners would work the same as a locking nut. Would that work?

Koi
Please explain more thoroughly.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Quote by SgtKoi
Hi,

Would that work? I am super fed up w/ lockin nuts, but I think the rolling nut and Locking Tuners would work the same as a locking nut. Would that work?

Koi

Well, technically yes.

If you have a guitar with a Floyd Rose, a roller nut and locking tuners should have about the same tuning stability as the regular setup, but keep in mind that switching a locking nut for a roller nut is not only very hard, but thanks to the different routing required for both, it might be impossible (or at least impractical).

If you want to convert an existing guitar, just leave the pads of the nut and install locking tuners.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
No, I am building a Warmoth guitar, so there will be no existing locking nut
It has ball bearing so it has the strings go more smoothly, helping tuning
The won't be as good. You may as well just get a recessed vintage trem to save on the cost.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Dec 3, 2007,
Quote by Cofflecakes
The won't be as good. You may as well just get a recessed vintage trem to save on the cost.

Explain your logic. Either way, you're wrong.

It all depends on what you end up doing behind the nut. A roller nut is a good choice here, if not, at least a graphite nut. Also, I wouldn't really worry about string trees as much. If you do end up going with string trees, buy spacers and keep the break angles to a minimum...just enough pressure to keep the strings from popping out of the nut slots. I would also invest in staggered locking tuners...if you go this route, you should be able to avoid string trees all together.

The long and the short of it is, I would try the non-locking nut first. If it fails or it doesn't have the stability you're looking for (I really don't see any tuning issues with the setup you're wanting), you can always have the neck routed for a locking nut later on. I've seen many other guitars with locking trems and standard nuts, this really isn't that wild of an idea.