so, my vj halfstack is loud enough to jam with and im certain i could gig with it as it is... but my band and i have decided that i need to be a little louder... so im going to mic it to our pa system... i dont want to spend all my money that ive been saving for a new electric on the mic... so im looking for around a 50 dollar mic...

any suggestions?
Sure SM 57 is a good all around mic. They are tough as hell and can be found used pretty cheap. Experiment with mic placement when you get it to see where is sounds best.
Buy a real amp?? Like what some solid state, digital, artificial sounding, piece of plastic??? I love my VJ. I Think it is a great sounding warm little amp. It is one of my best purchases.
Idk how much a Shure SM57 is, but they're the benchmark for good mics
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Shure SM57's do set the bar for good mic's, and not many other microphones manage to beat it, those that do are usually very expensive. It's what I use for most non-vocal mic'ing duties, and though I've not gigged with it, I've mic'ed up my own Valve Junior with it and it sounds great.

I'm sure (ba-doom tish) you can pick up a used SM57 out of the local listings or eBay for fairly cheap.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
No intention of hijacking, but could I use a Sm57 for backing vocals during rehearsal?
Because I'd like to have one to mic my amp and my drumkit, but I also need a mic to sing background when I'm drumming, maybe that could do both? It doesn't have to sound amazing, it's just for practice.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Quote by sobeisbull
sell it and buy a real amp

I remember you, dissing the VJ in every thread that it's mentioned, like a little ass. You probably run a Hello Kitty Squier through a Boss Metal Zone into an MG halfstack, because you obviously have no idea what good tone is.

*sigh* Anyway threadstarter, you probably don't want anything cheaper than the SM57, you don't want to degrade the sound of power tube distortion now, do you?
Settle children. Ignore the troll.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by buzzzxx
Sure SM 57 is a good all around mic.

+1. Thats one of the best stage mics on the market.
Not taking any online orders.
IMO the Sennhiser E906 is the best guitar mic, in a realistic price range.
But I dunno how cheap you can get it in the US.
the Shure sets the bar, but theres lots of things that are the same price or cheaper that are as good. the Shure is like a marshall (better i guess). it sets the bar because thats the most common example of a good mic, but that doesnt mean that a lesser known Sovtek couldnt do what you want as well, for cheaper; if you get my analogy. Sennheiser is a little bit 'off brand' compared to Shure for that budget, but they have some things that im sure are good too in that range, and a lot of their higher end things are considered more boutique than Shure's selection at that range.

i'd probably shoot for the sm57 myself dispite my own advice lol, im just saying to not disregard 'off brands' as well.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by iamtompublic
IMO the Sennhiser E906 is the best guitar mic, in a realistic price range.
But I dunno how cheap you can get it in the US.

'bout 175-200 bucks.
Quote by sobeisbull
buy a real amp

I have to agree with him, but more in the sense of:
A) The VJ was meant to be a studio/recording amp.
B) Investing in better amps can only make you sound better.

Especially if you gig (I assume you're getting paid), I really would recommend better gear; $50 to spend on your bread-making-tools is awfully low.

For $50, the only thing that comes to mind is the Behringer stuff (I think I remember them having a knockoff of the SM57).. or going to a karoke bar, getting smashed and somehow manage to steal their mics.
^I've already made up my mind that if I join a band again I'm just buying a PA system instead of a new amp because I like the way my VJ sounds so much. Bigger =/= Better. The VJ is a fine amp, excellent cleans and plenty O' gain.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^ Just from my own opinion, the VJ has a lot to be desired. I never said bigger = better, I just said better amp = better sound.
Quote by fexnah
No intention of hijacking, but could I use a Sm57 for backing vocals during rehearsal?
Because I'd like to have one to mic my amp and my drumkit, but I also need a mic to sing background when I'm drumming, maybe that could do both? It doesn't have to sound amazing, it's just for practice.

Micing a drum kit will take a hell of a lot more than just one SM57, and even then, it's not a good drum mic. SM57 for instrument micing, yes. SM58s are better for live voice though.

And the SM57 is the industry 'standard' for close instrument micing, nothing else.
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
Micing a drum kit will take a hell of a lot more than just one SM57, and even then, it's not a good drum mic. SM57 for instrument micing, yes. SM58s are better for live voice though.

And the SM57 is the industry 'standard' for close instrument micing, nothing else.

the SM57 is a good drum mic. great for snares and overheads, and even toms.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
the SM57 is a good drum mic. great for snares and overheads, and even toms.

Depends what you call good. I'd rather not use them, pencils are always better for overheads, they'd easily get in the way for toms and even if you managed to get it so it was out of the way, you still wouldn't get the full tone of the tom.
The SM57 is a great mic. Even better is that it's so popular, you can generally find them on the used market for close to half price. I bought an SM57 and SM58 with a cable from a pawn shop for $100 total. Dig around a little.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
SM57 would be great as everyone else said. AKG and Behringer both make 57 and 58 clones if you're on a tight budget, but you get what you pay for with mics.

A 57 won't mic an entire kit. Well it would but it would sound rubbish, essentially. 57s are good for snares and hi-hats though. Never tried one on the toms or for overheads.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001

Yes of course, I know that, I'll use it for the snare or one tom or something, I don't want nothing professional, it's just for home use.

But that's secondary, I just wanted to know if it would be complete rubbish for backing vocals.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
an sm57 would not be good bedfellows with your drummer's kick, and arguably your bassist either, but could probably get away with the rest of the drumset. notice the bass response between the two.

'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by TonyRandall
so, my vj halfstack is loud enough to jam with and im certain i could gig with it as it is... but my band and i have decided that i need to be a little louder... so im going to mic it to our pa system... i dont want to spend all my money that ive been saving for a new electric on the mic... so im looking for around a 50 dollar mic...

any suggestions?

a $50 mic wont work. Cheap mics break up at low volumes and you will get a real bad clipping sound in the PA.
its not worth spending money on.

Save up for a used or new Shure SM57. They are tough mics so a used one from ebay should do fine.

Quote by fexnah

yes with a pop filter the SM57 can be used for vocals, thats what im currently using.
I am getting a condenser soon for the studio though.
yeah, im getting a sm57... i had been considering buying one but i dont want to spend that much money and i usually dont have good luck buying used...

but i think im going to get the shure...

itll sound decent when micing my acoustic too wont it?