Ok im not that bad at playing but i never really learned how to solo. Are there any simple guides someone could link me ? thanks guys
yea i know wat u mean d3mon slay. i learned the penatonics & tried messing w/ them,but it didnt help me. it doesnt really work cuz itz pointless direction. but good luck.
I hate when people say, "Just learn the minor pentatonic licks."

NO! DON'T JUST LEARN THEM.

Learn all the shapes of the major scale (Ionian, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian)! Zakk Wylde is the only person I know who got anywhere with 'just' the pentatonic scales. Learn everything and anything you can about scales and progressions.
take it 1 possion at a time dont rush into it saying u gotta learn everything in 1 day u wont it takes years. SO be patiant and learn it all one step at a time. Till u can move all around the fret board and all around the scales.
first learn the major scales (thats what im learning now...root 6, root 5...)
once you have that down find the key of a song, usually the first chord...so say its an A power chord...then you're in the key of A...so now you solo in the A Major Root 6 Scale....just play that scale over the music...mix it up....
Gaslight
Learn scales properly - learn the notes on the fretboard and learn the major scale all over the fretboard, and actually learn THE SCALE, not just shapes or fingering patterns. Once you know what a scale is and how te major scale works then is the time to look at pentatonics.

The shapes are just there for quick reference, they won't tell you anything about the scale or how to use it on their own.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
VIRUSDETECTED is right. Learn many different scales and modes, including the major scale and it's modes (Aeolian mode is also the minor scale, so you'll automatically learn minor scales). Also, learn major and minor pentatonic scales. Then, start improvising or making your own licks.

Go to www.jamstudio.com and enter a chord progression in a certain key (if you don't know about keys, you need to), and add guitar, drums, and bass, or whatever you want, to make your own backing track. Improvise over the progression and start writing licks over the progression. It takes time and creativity, but you'll eventually have a little soloish lick.

By the way, people practice this for years before they learn to write super fast solos. Shredding may seem impossibly hard, but you may be surprised to learn that they are just playing through patterns very quickly. They may move a sweep picking pattern up and down the fret board and then change over to some fast lick with pull-offs and hammer-ons, then back to a different sweep picking pattern. All it is is a feel for the fret board and lots of experimenting. Of course there's speed and practice involved, but that's true for everything. Improvising can be done by anyone who takes the time to learn about scales and keys, and has the patience to sit down and play around with scales over a chord progression.

Good luck and have fun with it. Don't expect anything amazing yet, just some small, timely licks that sound good with the backing track. Eventually, you'll start using sixteenth notes and 32nd notes, then you'll start using complex licks and patterns, advanced rhythm licks, and cool techniques and you'll be a great improviser and player. Improvising is like fun practice. So just practice it, and you'll become good at it. In a few years, it'll be natural to play cool fun licks over different chord progressions.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Last edited by philipp122 at Dec 2, 2007,
Quote by philipp122
VIRUSDETECTED is right. Learn many different scales and modes, including the major scale and it's modes (Aeolian mode is also the minor scale, so you'll automatically learn minor scales). Also, learn major and minor pentatonic scales. Then, start improvising or making your own licks.

Go to www.jamstudio.com and enter a chord progression in a certain key (if you don't know about keys, you need to), and add guitar, drums, and bass, or whatever you want, to make your own backing track. Improvise over the progression and start writing licks over the progression. It takes time and creativity, but you'll eventually have a little soloish lick.

By the way, people practice this for years before they learn to write super fast solos. Shredding may seem impossibly hard, but you may be surprised to learn that they are just playing through patterns very quickly. They may move a sweep picking pattern up and down the fret board and then change over to some fast lick with pull-offs and hammer-ons, then back to a different sweep picking pattern. All it is is a feel for the fret board and lots of experimenting. Of course there's speed and practice involved, but that's true for everything. Improvising can be done by anyone who takes the time to learn about scales and keys, and has the patience to sit down and play around with scales over a chord progression.

Good luck and have fun with it. Don't expect anything amazing yet, just some small, timely licks that sound good with the backing track. Eventually, you'll start using sixteenth notes and 32nd notes, then you'll start using complex licks and patterns, advanced rhythm licks, and cool techniques and you'll be a great improviser and player. Improvising is like fun practice. So just practice it, and you'll become good at it. In a few years, it'll be natural to play cool fun licks over different chord progressions.

wow the jam studio is GREAT. Ive been looking for somthing like that for a while now. Where can i find the major scales located i know the minor pent scale i d like to learn the major one now :P
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
I hate when people say, "Just learn the minor pentatonic licks."

NO! DON'T JUST LEARN THEM.

Learn all the shapes of the major scale (Ionian, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian)! Zakk Wylde is the only person I know who got anywhere with 'just' the pentatonic scales. Learn everything and anything you can about scales and progressions.

I learned an E Phygrian scale, memorized it pretty quick and it ehlped a ton with my soling....You need much more than just pentatonics....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
wow the jam studio is GREAT. Ive been looking for somthing like that for a while now. Where can i find the major scales located i know the minor pent scale i d like to learn the major one now :P

You'd be surprised to find that, well, you already know them. Look Here. Do those fingerings look familiar? Just scroll down and look at their placement on the fret board. The explanation behind this is rather simple, but I don't want to get into it because it's sleepy time.

But basically, a pentatonic scale is just a 5-note scale. The difference between major and minor is the root notes. Just locate the root notes and stuff and you'll see what I mean.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401