I've recently repainted a guitar, and I've put lacquer on it but it's not thick enough. What could I put on that won't leave massive brush marks, and will be thick enough not to damage too easily?

Cheers

Filth
Quote by Demonikk
Spray lacquer?

Yeah, that's what I've used and it's really thin.
The way I do furnature is thin coats of clear, sand, another coat or two, sand. For the final coat, I apply it heavier with the piece laying flat so I do not get any sags or runs.

On pieces I want to have really shiny, I just put more undercoats with more sanding and build the finish up. Patients is the key for me .

I have some columns I did in my living room and they have no less than 30 coats that I applied over a two week period.

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Dec 2, 2007,
Quote by RCShadow
The way I do furnature is thin coats of clear, sand, another coat or two, sand. For the final coat, I apply it heavier with the piece laying flat so I do not get any sags or runs.

On pieces I want to have really shiny, I just put more undercoats with more sanding and build the finish up. Patients is the key for me .

I have some columns I did in my living room and they have no less than 30 coats that I applied over a two week period.

Chris

So, you think if I just keep going with lacquer, it'll be alright?

And this is the stuff I'm using, am I doing it right?

(Invalid img)
Quote by filthandfury
So, you think if I just keep going with lacquer, it'll be alright?

And this is the stuff I'm using, am I doing it right?

(Invalid img)

Same clearcoat I use xD
Build up lots of coats. For a really high gloss finish, you'll want to use several cans and then get rid of any orange-peel or runs.
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/tsblueguitar/blue_guitar01.html
Stewmac go through the process on that walkthrough... stage 4 and onwards I believe.
Quote by even_flow
Same clearcoat I use xD
Build up lots of coats. For a really high gloss finish, you'll want to use several cans and then get rid of any orange-peel or runs.
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/tsblueguitar/blue_guitar01.html
Stewmac go through the process on that walkthrough... stage 4 and onwards I believe.

Excellent, cheers mate.
^--- Yep to the above Stewmac web site. Fairly good procedure that.

Once you get it done, you should have a smooth flat finish. When you run your fingers over the finished product, you shouldn't feel any bumps and such just a smooth surface.

If you do feel something, you have more sanding and spraying to do. With can spraying, you may get some "over-spray" because the can tends to "spit" leaving small drops. In that case, just do the best as you can. Again, be patient with yourself. A clear coat is one of the toughest finishes you can do if it is your first project.

Here is a pic of one of my columns...

Hope this help and good luck to you

Chris
Attachments:
image007.jpg