So my Dad managed to pick up an Ashdown ABM Mini 15 Compact Bass Cabinet off of ebay for £150 (plus £25 p&p).

Wanted to know what you guys think of this cab? I also have a budget of £185 for a head to go with it, I am leaning towards a Laney RB9, or perhaps a Ashdown Mag300 for the Ashdown rig effect. I have heard that the knobs and stuff on the Ashdown can be broken easily and stuff, so what do you guys think of my purchase?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Dec 2, 2007,
For 150? Wow, lucky you, everyone seems to be getting good deals. Thats a great cabinet.

Yeah the Laney would be great, as would the MAG, it's all personal preference really. When I tried the combo version of the Laney, it was very clear, and had a pretty modern voice, more modern than your usual "Ashdown" tone. Both are great heads though. Oh, and the Laney has a much better EQ.

And my Ashdown EB's been through quite a lot, nothing wrong with the knobs yet! I've only gigged my ABM head once though, so I can't comment on that, but they seem solid!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
The EQ on the Laney RB8/RB9 is unmatched by anything in it's price range (and even some beyond it).
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
that's a great price for an ashdown. i'd say go for it
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Quote by MattPerson911
that's a great price for an ashdown. i'd say go for it

I've already got the cab lol, it's the head I need know

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I would go for the ashdown over the lanky. I like my lows and ashdowns are notorious for being able to give out awesome lows. I've never played a lanky before so I can't really comment on them. I would say find a music shop that has both and compare them.
Quote by FbSa
I would go for the ashdown over the lanky. I like my lows and ashdowns are notorious for being able to give out awesome lows. I've never played a lanky before so I can't really comment on them. I would say find a music shop that has both and compare them.

Yeah... Laney's are pretty much intermediate amps. Since the TS has effectively a pro cab, why not get a pro head. Look out on eBay especially in the run up to Christmas. Everyone's selling to generate cash for Christmas, and no-one's buying to generate cash of Christmas!

Also since the TS is British, look at www.gumtree.com and www.basschat.co.uk. I find its better to by from these sources than eBay TBH.
That's a bargain...if you decided you don't need it then I'll take it off your hands

I recommend the MAG head. Try and get a second-hand UK made MAG400 if you can!
Im leaning towards the Laney, as I prefere the modern tone to the mellow vibe.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
If you want modern tone then look at GKs or Hartkes, Laneys didn't sound that modern to me.

I'd personally look for an ABM head on ebay like previously suggested though, my ABM + 115 rig sounds awesome.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Im leaning towards the Laney, as I prefere the modern tone to the mellow vibe.

So you after a modern sound...

Warwick ProFet 3.2 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_profet32_basstopteil.htm)

Sorry, but my experiences with Laney have always been less than satisfactory. Just last Friday I happened to use a Laney RB4 for a gig. Muddy, and low definition. Okay for rock I guess, but that's not how you get a modern tone.
I was thinking of the ProFet 3.2 for a while, but I don't like the fact that it's a rack mount unit and not a proper head

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by shut_up_you_***

Sorry, but my experiences with Laney have always been less than satisfactory. Just last Friday I happened to use a Laney RB4 for a gig. Muddy, and low definition. Okay for rock I guess, but that's not how you get a modern tone.

The RB4 really isn't designed for gigging. Try an RB8 or an RB9 head into a 4x10 or 1x15/horn setup and you'll hear the modern Laney tone.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I was thinking of the ProFet 3.2 for a while, but I don't like the fact that it's a rack mount unit and not a proper head

Does it matter? Just sit it on your cab
A friend showed my a pic of one which shows it has rubber feet, so it is proberbly ment for both.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I actually prefer rackmount stuff, you can add stuff in and have it all in one case rather than lugging loads around.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'm proberbly gonna go for the Wawrick ProFet 3.2, eventualy I will play a Ibanez Sgr505 thourgh it, sound good?

Quote by DisarmGoliath