Hello All

Has anyone else ever noticed that there's some sort of difference in the video quality between American and British (or maybe even all European?) music videos?
Even if you don't hear the song and don't recognise the band, you can pretty much tell if they're american or british just by seeing the vid.
It's probably the cameras they use or something.

I think the difference is taht American ones have brighter colours, and are a tiny bit blurry, while British ones are sharper, with less colour, and possibly also a different frame rate (or something)

Anyone ever notice this?
And what makes these differences?
It's also the same with anything on TV, especially talk shows. Americans talk show and news looks more glossy, and in the UK it's more natural looking.
Quote by sashki
Hello All

Has anyone else ever noticed that there's some sort of difference in the video quality between American and British (or maybe even all European?) music videos?
Even if you don't hear the song and don't recognise the band, you can pretty much tell if they're american or british just by seeing the vid.
It's probably the cameras they use or something.

I think the difference is taht American ones have brighter colours, and are a tiny bit blurry, while British ones are sharper, with less colour, and possibly also a different frame rate (or something)

Anyone ever notice this?
And what makes these differences?

All American television show always have terrible camera AND sound quality compared to British shows. But with music videos there's not as much of a difference.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I agree. I think it's just the style of production.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by Simsimius
All American television show always have terrible camera AND sound quality compared to British shows. But with music videos there's not as much of a difference.

Biased much? And wrong.

Being a film student, I can tell you that they definitely use a different framerate.

PAL is 625 lines, 25 frames per second. NTSC is 525 lines, 30 frames per second. When PAL video is broadcast over an NTSC channel, both the image and the timing have to be adjusted using a frame buffer. That causes a perceptible change in the video.

The vast majority of PAL-originated material broadcast in the US comes from the UK or Australia, so you've come to associate that particular change with British material and Australian material.

(PAL also uses a different method of encoding color, but let's not get into that.)

But they generally also use a different camera altogether, and use different techniques, particularly during the editing process. I think they might use different film stock sometimes, too. Not sure about that though.

Just different ways of doing it.
Delanoir knows his video.

Thanks, man!

Just to illustrate my point, I picked these out. PLEASE DO NOT RANT ON ABOUT MY CRAP MUSIC CHOICE, I'm not really a fan of either band, they're just the first that came into my head when trying to think of a video.

American Style
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b0fKI_FS-4U

British Style
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d14511Amd08

You probably can't see much of a difference with YouTube. The american one looks somehow more polished, with brighter colours, and maybe some sort of motion blur...

EDIT: acutally, you can't even see the difference, but when I saw them on TV it's clear.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 2, 2007,