rocker931
Peace Be To You
497 IQ
I want to know how many watts in an amp I need to compete with a drummer. I don't want to get faded out! Don't give me a specific amp, just a number.
strat335
Dreeeeeeeeeam Weaver!
274 IQ
15 watts tube, or 30 if you have a solid state amp.
Cobalt Blue
921 IQ
^sounds about right, hell 10 solid might do it, but you'd be maxing it out.
Serjem
he has no xbox
2,069 IQ
get a 100 =)
marshal valvestate 100W it suits me perfect
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
stevenexp
Banned
486 IQ
10 solid state won't cut it if your drummer is even somewhat loud. my crate 12 watt doesn't do it
rocker931
Peace Be To You
497 IQ
Cool thanks. I have a 30 watt solid already so I should be ok for a while. I also have a 50 watt but no distortion.
Dozza
Nothing special
154 IQ
Although my drummer does hit the drums hard, my 30watt is a tad too quiet... so I'll say 40 SS.
Leper Affinity
I Love Noodles
49 IQ
and if you want to sound decent with SS, I'd suggest at least 65 to 85 watts going through 1 or 2 12" speakers
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Cofflecakes
549 IQ
All depends on the drummer, the speakers, the number of speakers, and the amps circuitry.

I can quite easily be heard over a loud drummer with a 4x12 or an 8x12 (it's bolted to a wall, but I doubt it'd fit in my car anyway) using a 5watt tube amp, and a 10 watt solid state amp.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
JMDavis07
Certifiable Ashdown *****
416 IQ
I'm assuming you're a guitarist, but if you're thinking about bass, three to five times the guitarist's amp will do.

Sorry if I'm not helping.
Zeelod
Bass
622 IQ
Yall must play with some pretty quiet drummers. None of the wattage ratings that I have seem would come close even if maxing out the amp. I would say at LEAST 150 to compete with drummers and the guitars.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought we were talking about bass amplification here not guitar

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at Dec 9, 2007,
Cofflecakes
549 IQ
I can play in a small enclosed room or outdoors with a loud drummer with a 60 watt bass amp. Wattage is a very, VERY small part of your volume
Quote by kyrreca
JMDavis07
Certifiable Ashdown *****
416 IQ
Quote by Zeelod
EDIT: Whoops, I thought we were talking about bass amplification here not guitar

I thought that too at first.
AppleQueso
Mazanacheese
277 IQ
I guess it's safe to assume that the 75w amp my friend's giving me would me more than loud enough, eh?
NimbleElephant
acoustic junkie
377 IQ
My 30 is too quiet. It's close, just not quite enough moxy. I'm getting a 150 and that will solve any problems. A 45 might do it.
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist
1,402 IQ
i got a 65 watt solid state Kustom. its plenty loud even for Moderate to loud drummers. the last drummer i was jamming with tho.. holy christ. the 5150 stacks were at about 6 or so to keep up with him.

sick
Some grammar and proper spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

*This has been a public service announcement*
Gargan
Hi.:)
208 IQ
65 SS fails to drown my drummer out, but we all just agreed to not 'go for it' in the noise department since I started getting headaches.. but 65 should level you with the loudest drummer you'll ever meet.
Leper Affinity
I Love Noodles
49 IQ
Quote by AppleQueso
I guess it's safe to assume that the 75w amp my friend's giving me would me more than loud enough, eh?

most likely
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
henza_x
995 IQ
I have a 85 SS. I don't think it'd cut it coz i get a hummer when i turn it up with the distortion. Also... earplugs... My drummer is awesome
Cofflecakes
549 IQ
Quote by henza_x
I have a 85 SS. I don't think it'd cut it coz i get a hummer when i turn it up with the distortion. Also... earplugs... My drummer is awesome

O RLY?

But seriously, its not all about wattage. My main thing I check for when I look for new amps is how they sound when they are being pushed.
Quote by kyrreca
SSDDPunkRocker
BRO!
812 IQ
It really depends, actually, how your hearing is. When I first joined my current band, I played through a 15watt Fender amp with a drummer that was effing insanely loud and crazy, but I heard myself perfectly. After a couple of years though, I've gone to upgrade to a Peavy ValveKing 212 (300watts on full power, I believe). My hearing has gone so bad, from all the practices, gigs and misc concerts I've attended. I'd suggest earplugs if you're sensitive to noise.