Hey everyone. First of all, is it possible to put a single coil in a humbucker rout on a Stratocaster? I'm pretty sure you can if you change the pickguard, but just wanted a confirmation.

Second, I've been wanting to replace my humbucker with a single-coil, because I'm progressing towards a more Frusciante/Hendrix style of playing, and wanted some of Froosh's funk tones and cleans. Would this be a worthwhile investment? I've currently got a Fender Stage 1600, a Jekyll and Hyde distortion, and a Crybaby wah. I'll also be finishing a guitar soon with two buckers, so I'll use that for punk/metal/whatever and use my Strat for funk/blues/other cleans. I was thinking about getting a compression/sustain, like the Boss CS-3 or MXR Dyna Comp, but now I'm kind of undecided as to if I should ask for a new pickup or a pedal for Christmas.

Third, just to avoid making another topic, I'm gonna paint my Strat pickguard for an art project. Any suggestions as to designs/advice/whatever are appreciated (I'm not much of an artist )

Thanks!
1. Im pretty sure u can, but u may need to route just a small bit.
2. get the pickup. Ur not gonna get single-coil cleans with just a compressor.
3. Do ur band's logo.
Quote by qotsa1998
1. Im pretty sure u can, but u may need to route just a small bit.
2. get the pickup. Ur not gonna get single-coil cleans with just a compressor.
3. Do ur band's logo.

1. Thanks for the quick reply, and great, but could I get a confirmation on this?

2. You sure? Everything I've heard about pickups says you can barely hear a sound difference as compared to a new amp or something.

3. I don't know how much longer I'm gonna be in the band. I've been jamming with some other guys who are actually competent musicians, so things aren't looking good in that respect. But, it is a pretty cool logo if I do say so myself.
1. Yes, confirmed!

2. You can hear the difference, especially between single coils and humbuckers.
A compressor will not make a humbucker sound like a single coil, it does something completely different.

3. I think you should paint some psychedelic flowers.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
1. Excellent.

2. I know it does something different, but I was thinking it would give me some chugga chugga for funk. I take it you would recommend getting a single coil? Any recommendations for Froosh tones? I heard he uses old 50's/60's stock pickups, but anything with a similar tone to that would be nice.

3. I was actually thinking about that, but that's kind of a Hendrix thing, and I want something I can call my own. BTW, I've got a dark blue strat with a white pickguard now.