Hey guys, just read through the 5150/6505 thread and although it has a lot of info, I'm just looking for a quick answer.

I think I'm going to go for a new 6505 as opposed to a used 5150 from Ebay, is that a wise thing to do?

Also, what are the main differences between the 6505 and the 6505+? I seen that the + had less gain and better cleans, but what else? Is it anything significant, and is the + worth buying, as it is £300 more than the normal 6505 - I think I'm leaning towards the normal 6505.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Mark
Unless you are dead-set on the 6505, make sure to try out the Laney GH50L and some ENGLs too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
the 6505+ has an extra AX7 tube i believe
my gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Line 6 spider 2: 212 combo 120 watt =\
Line 6 guitar port
EVH frankenstein painted Explorer
Quote by taylorfrey66
the 6505+ has an extra AX7 tube i believe

No, Avenged Sevenfold don't make tubes.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Unless you are dead-set on the 6505, make sure to try out the Laney GH50L and some ENGLs too.

The problem is my local stores don't have a lot of choice when it comes to amps, they have the usual Marshalls, Mesas, etc. They only have the 6505, but not the 6505+ so I can't compare them that way. They don't have any ENGLs either, they have Laneys, but I'm not sure about that particular model - I'll be sure to have a look into it though.

Are ENGLs not quite expensive?
well i havnt tried the 6505 plus but what iv heard is that although it has more options like a better clean channel (still not a great one though) and a better lead channel it still is missing some of the bite that the origonal 6505/5150 had but that there still isnt much of a difference either way youll be getting an ass kicking amp
Gear: Peavey 5150 Head
Peavey 5150 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standerd
Gibson Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshal JCM 800 1960 A Lead Cab

Quote by dcdossett65
I dont think i'd ever buy a gibson, the epiphones dont feel any different to me, besides the sound.
If you're in Europe, they have a good value.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude

awww mate.

that was witty.

>.>

ahahaha.
Quote by outlived
well i havnt tried the 6505 plus but what iv heard is that although it has more options like a better clean channel (still not a great one though) and a better lead channel it still is missing some of the bite that the origonal 6505/5150 had but that there still isnt much of a difference either way youll be getting an ass kicking amp

So it's not a noticeable difference?

Between the 6505 and the + I mean.

Because £300 is a lot of money, just for a better clean channel, unless there is something else that makes it that much more expensive?
Quote by aznrockerdude

To the thread starter:

I bought a 6505+ amp head about 2 weeks ago. I chose it OVER the 6505 because it suited my tastes more. The 6505+ DOES have an extra tube. The cleans are better (even though they aren't great)...and the distortion is downtuned a tiny bit, in comparison to the 6505.

the 6505+ has different settings knobs....and the layout is a little more controllable on the 6505+
07' Gibson LIMITED EDITION Classic w/Emg's (replaced with Blackouts)
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal

Anyways, the non-plus has a shared EQ, while the + doesn't.
The + has less gain, while the non-plus has more.
Pick your poison.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude

I'm afraid that would be an 'A7X tube' =).

Any tbh TS it is not worth the extra £300 at all, I think the price already for the 6505 is far overpriced, and whoever said that the value in europe is good is wrong, I've seen the heads go for brand new for the same amount of dollars as us brits pay in pounds, which is essentially half price for them.
If you're worried about cleans get a good chorus pedal, such as the EHX Small Clone or if you're low on budget after that amp purcase a Boss pedal.
Do you definately have to go for head+cab? I almost made the same mistake before buying an amp, I realised that a) I just wouldn't use them to their full volume and b) the 6505 combo is plenty loud enough for any situation, heck it's too loud sometimes.
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Quote by Calgary_Rocker

To the thread starter:

I bought a 6505+ amp head about 2 weeks ago. I chose it OVER the 6505 because it suited my tastes more. The 6505+ DOES have an extra tube. The cleans are better (even though they aren't great)...and the distortion is downtuned a tiny bit, in comparison to the 6505.

the 6505+ has different settings knobs....and the layout is a little more controllable on the 6505+

I know what you mean with the layout being more controllable, but what do you mean by different settings knobs?
Quote by Matt_Synyster
I'm afraid that would be an 'A7X tube' =).

Any tbh TS it is not worth the extra £300 at all, I think the price already for the 6505 is far overpriced, and whoever said that the value in europe is good is wrong, I've seen the heads go for brand new for the same amount of dollars as us brits pay in pounds, which is essentially half price for them.
If you're worried about cleans get a good chorus pedal, such as the EHX Small Clone or if you're low on budget after that amp purcase a Boss pedal.
Do you definately have to go for head+cab? I almost made the same mistake before buying an amp, I realised that a) I just wouldn't use them to their full volume and b) the 6505 combo is plenty loud enough for any situation, heck it's too loud sometimes.

To put the prices into perspective the cheapest I could get each for is:

6505 : £679
6505+ : £945

I'll be using it for band practise, plus gigs, where I, 9 times out of 10, use the house head+cab and I'd prefer using my own, so I know that I'm getting a good sound.
your much better off gettin a used 5150 because its exactly the same thing as a 6505 but u can get them used for like 500 as apposed to over a grand for a 6505. if you want the extra tube get a 5150II same as a6505+ the amps are built very solidly and all u might need to do is new tubes or somthing and save alot of money
I'd say go for a used 5150II.
I personally think that the extra EQ is worth it- the difference between gain is negligible, the cleans difference is noticeable, but it's still no Fender Twin.

Used is how to get the most for your money.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by aznrockerdude

no, just lame music - sorry had to get that in there!

the original 5150 is best, followed by the standard 6505
Quote by davedoom

you think the 6505 is better than the 6505+?

obviously, they're both behind the original 5150?
Quote by davedoom

I hate them as much as you do actually.

And the good value thing, I was referring to ENGLs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
actually yeah, europe = engl's - i see so many people choosing them over equiv. peavey, mesa etc - a lot to do with the price
6505 and 5150 have a shared eq for both channels.

6505+ and 5150 II have seperate EQ for clean/rhythm and lead.

Also, the + or II heads have an extra preamp tube, so yea, cleans would be better with it (apparently...i've only tried the 6505+ and really dug it).
Quote by M A R K
I know what you mean with the layout being more controllable, but what do you mean by different settings knobs?

sorry, wasn't being clear at all..

In addition to the 6505 regular, the 6505+ adds:
Seperate EQ, Resonance and Presence controls to each channel
07' Gibson LIMITED EDITION Classic w/Emg's (replaced with Blackouts)
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal
So, I've got the differences between the 6505 and the 6505+ pretty clear now.

What ENGLs would you guys recommend having a look at?

Cause I really don't know a lot about them, but you guys seem to think quite highly of them and I'll have a look at a few. I play death metal, metalcore, hardcore, stuff along those lines.

Thanks guys