Page 1 of 2
So, like alot of y'all my band has a myspace. I'm not really proud of it. I wish we didn't use it. We honestly don't need most of the time, but it has helped us stay in touch with some people who don't have steady access to cell phones and can usualy manage to get access to a computer. I don't think it should be the form of discourse for a DIY punk scene. I'm really conflicted about it, because while it's owners suck and it limits creativity, it really makes things really easy for us and it's helped me get alotta shows and i've gotten alotta really cool people shows through it. But I've also gotten just as many (probably more better) shows through the old fashioned method of calling yer buddy up on the phone shootin' the **** for 30 minutes or so and working out when the show will happen. I feel like I've been privledged to be active in both types of scenes, myspace centered ones and old-school DIY ones (Huntsville and Chattanooga respectively). In Huntsville we used myspace to advertise our shows and book bands, Chattanooga still uses word of mouth, flyers and phone calls for theirs. There's good and bad aspects of both. The good about the myspace is that it's simple easy and very very efficent and it seems to get alot of productive things done. However, it limits our creativity and makes us dependent on the very corporations we try and remove from our lives as punks. In Chattanooga, their way has lots of advantages, you feel more in touch with people all over because you physically interact with them and develop long term friendships with people even though you may live thousands of miles apart. It's something real. But at the same time there's sort of an "in" crowd in this scene, there's people who will get shows no matter what just because they have alot of friends (don't get me wrong it's always a good thing to support your friend's creative endeavors). Also the scene in Chattanooga is extremely disorganised and there's only one group of people that come to shows, whereas in Huntsville we have all kinds of kids comming to the shows because we advertise on myspace and more people see the flyers than when we place them at Bandito (the Huntsville punk establishment where the majority of flyers of punk rock shows since the early 1990's have been placed), mostly because alot of times people don't know where to look. Eventually these kids either leave DIY punk rock behind or get really into it. In Chattanooga it seems like today you'd have less of a chance to do this because it's such a tight knit group of people. They're all my really good friends, so don't think I'm talking **** on anyone, I just wanna point out flaws of both of the systems and acknowledge some of the good things that both of them bring. I think y'all should read spoonboy from the Max Levine Ensemble's zine about myspace. I think he offers alot of good points. Anyways, I think this is a really important conversation that all punks need to have, because we're the ones in charge of how this community will move cos we're the ****ing punks!

Here's the zine: http://www.throughtheconcreterecords.com/documents/****myspace1.html

Please let me know what you think of it and what you think of the future of the punk scene in respects to the conflict of myspace and traditional forms of DIY touring/punk rock.

edit: in the link you need to change the *'s to f u c k
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Hey im gonna weigh in. I am in no way popular enough to warrant having a myspace for personal reasons. However finding out about shows via da myspace is easy, and here in Chi-twon i know we could get way better turnouts but ****ing guys putting them on only use myspace to advertise, i may actaully ask to get flyers to set them up this weekend maybe. But the reason i made my myspace is that i was sending E-mails to bands and they'd just write back saying 'send it to our myspace please' (??) so i made one to do that. And when i moved to america i'd meet people at shows and they'd always be like 'dude whats your myspace?"
Myspace has been nothing but postive for me. I've met great bands world wide, and I've gotten several offers for shows (none that we've been ready for). It's also alot easier to share music with bands from far away.

I understand the negatives about myspace, but I think the positives out weigh the negatives. I'm reading through that zine and we'll see if that changes my opinions at all
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
seriously, as much as I hate myspace, it is really helpful and has gotten the band that I am in name around.

yeah, but who are we helping profit? Some really evil mother****ers? Are the expenses of us using that website low enough to where it justifies using it as a free means of communication? I don't think so, that's why I'm so conflicted about it. While it does alot of good things it helps even more bad things happen, at least in my opinion. Mass corporatization and conglomeration of media is a really scary. The fact that Rupert Murdoch owns 7 outta ten papers scares the **** outta me... and what's even scarier is an exact quote from him is that "Pat Robertson [was] a man with all the right ideas". That's not punk and more importantly that's ****ing immoral and disgusting.
Whyvern we all agree hes a ****ing scumbag (we all know how i feel about the conservatives) and thats why we have to make a DIY myspace thing. if that happened and it didn't get sold to facebook or some**** (which it probaly would) it'd be sick. so we gotta go back to the old fashion letters and zines!
I think if the punks were behind it wouldn't get sold. It takes only a few really motivated individuals to start something, and once it's started we can have very decentralized leadership so no one would ever be able to sell it. It would work like a syndicate, kinda like wikipedia does. I've talked to Spoonboy about this before and he's told me that he's working with some people on an alternative to myspace that should be ready sometime early next year.
Quote by whyvern
I think if the punks were behind it wouldn't get sold. It takes only a few really motivated individuals to start something, and once it's started we can have very decentralized leadership so no one would ever be able to sell it. It would work like a syndicate, kinda like wikipedia does. I've talked to Spoonboy about this before and he's told me that he's working with some people on an alternative to myspace that should be ready sometime early next year.
I'll sign up for that
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Jer at plan-it-x was working on a Plan-it-X Space, but something went wrong with it.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
Meh,

I have a myspace. It's kinda pointless. I'm not in a band and I rarely check it.

When I do check it, I have to clear loads of spam. I only made it to stay in touch with some long distance friends who I talk to on AIM now, so it doesn't matter.

It's free.
It's convenient.
For better or worse it allows anyone's music to be heard from anywhere on earth (usually for worse.)

I dunno, I just don't see why anyone should feel badly for using a potentially beneficial tool just because some douche bag benefits from it as well.
I wonder how much myspace makes.

I would imagine that it really makes money with adverts, which means that anytime anyone accesses a page, they make profit.

I think that it is a good thing to use myspace, but only as a secondary site.

So, make a proper band website, too. A lot of bands just have a myspace account, and treat it like a main band site.
My mates band used to use myspace quite alot, it is free and "the standard" in alot of places now after all. Alot of venues used to ask for a bands myspace aswell as a number.

For alot of gigs though, we just used to flypost camden/islington, hand out free burned CDs with details of the next gig out to people (I'm sure many were used as frisbees before even being played) and that was alot more fun. Pub, flypost, hand out CDs. It's a good day out when theres nothing else to do, just arranging and advertising gigs out there.
You cannot buy the type of exposure that MySpace can give you. MySpace is the revolution.All big bands have a MySpace page. Quit yer yappin' and accept the wave of the future.
is facebook owned by rupert murdoch, too?

Facebook has band pages now similar to myspace with a cleaner layout, without Rupert Murdoch making a profit.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
^It's probably owned by another rich conservative man
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

pfff but facebook is alot cooler! that way i can tell all my friends about all the pot i smoked last weekend with my 101 bongs and other smoker **** my daddy gave me money to buy!
But who am i to sya anything i have a myspace (for DIY reasons!)
"pfff but facebook is alot cooler! that way i can tell all my friends about all the pot i smoked last weekend with my 101 bongs and other smoker **** my daddy gave me money to buy!
But who am i to sya anything i have a myspace (for DIY reasons!)"

1. I don't do drugs. They're a good way to lose self worth and eventually stop thinking.
2. A majority of my friends don't do drugs, also for the same reasoning.
3. I pay for everything out of my own pocket. My family is well off, and regardless I worked my butt off for a year and saved up so I wouldn't have to have a job during my junior year. And I get reasonably high marks (GPA = about 94-95 with AP's and Honors), so I'm not a stranger to working my face off to get what I want.
4. I enjoy typing and trying my best to uphold basic, elementary rules of grammar (including our friends capitalization and spelling).
5. I got facebook literally to keep in contact with my sibblings in college. My brother is in med school in England right now, and with the time difference, I can't always skype or talk to him on AIM with my school hours.
6. To my knowledge, facebook doesn't have a greedy tycoon behind it, but I could be wrong. You use myspace knowing you're lining the pockets of a greedy business man and feel no remorse. I don't think you have much room to talk.

p.s. giving an excuse to have a myspace doesn't change the fact that, in the words of the Adicts, you're just another number supporting them.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
I support using myspaces band pages, it makes things so much easier. But what is it with Punks hating rich people? There is nothing wrong with owning properties. Hell, if I possessed the ability to buy and sell, I'd be an entrep[eanurnuenreu.

And with all this talk of Chattanooga shows, it makes me wonder what I'm doing spending my nights here...

Help me out with that Whyvern.
Rather than crawl up on my soapbox and b*tch about Rupert Murdoch, MySpace, etc. and point out that punk came from working class origins and was very anti-rich, ala lyrics from The Clash's "Garageland", Sex Pistols "Satellite", Sham 69's "Hey Little Rich Boy" and The Dils "I Hate The Rich".....I want to share an observation that I've made some time ago.

Punk rock was made by people who were extremely anti-social.

The Pistols, to use one example, were extremely anti-press and would go out of their way to avoid favorable press, by beating junkie journalist Nick Kent up or telling record executives to f*ck off and not letting them into a party.
When they went on the Bill Grundy show and dropped F bombs, it was out of disgust with the show, and not an attempt to get publicity (although Malcolm was scheming something else).

Jello Biafra once dumped an ashtray on the heads of a number of A&R people while standing on their table singing (in the middle of a show), out of that same disgust.

People yelled at you, spit at or on you, cops tried to arrest you and rednecks tried to attack you 5 on 1 for being a punk, in the early days.

Time passed, the shock wore off and Green Day made punk (or what people think is punk) "cool" and everything became mainstream.

What was lost, and will never return, was "underground" music.
That term now means "a band that sounds like all the crap you've heard before, but they haven't gotten very popular", but the term used to synonymous with "unknown".

I can remember, in the early 90s, asking record store owners if they sold any 60s ska music and them having a blank face and asking me what label the band "60s ska" was on.
Now there's racks and racks full of Less Than Jake clone ska bands, pumping out instantly forgettable formulac sh*te.

We took so much crap for being punks because it was OUR thing.
We were lucky to get to see 2 or 3 good punk shows in a year and the promoters were lucky to get 20 kids at a show, barring big cities like LA, NY, & DC.
We were lucky to find 2 or 3 punk albums in a record store near where you lived.

The same was true of goth, ska, industrial, emo and thrash metal fans.

The Hot Topics and MySpaces have robbed you of your right to be into something that is almost exclusively your own.
They've made it so that that song that meant so much to you, the lyrics of which you practically built your entire life around, in some cases, now helps fat conservatives sell useless crap made from third world slavery.

Most people will tell you that behavior like the Pistols exhibited is "childish", but in their own twisted way, they were trying to preserve something and not have it be exploited.

F*ck MySpace.
Getting "popular" is the kiss of death; a milestone on the road to mediocrity.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo
Rather than crawl up on my soapbox and b*tch about Rupert Murdoch, MySpace, etc. and point out that punk came from working class origins and was very anti-rich, ala lyrics from The Clash's "Garageland", Sex Pistols "Satellite", Sham 69's "Hey Little Rich Boy" and The Dils "I Hate The Rich".....I want to share an observation that I've made some time ago.

Punk rock was made by people who were extremely anti-social.

The Pistols, to use one example, were extremely anti-press and would go out of their way to avoid favorable press, by beating junkie journalist Nick Kent up or telling record executives to f*ck off and not letting them into a party.
When they went on the Bill Grundy show and dropped F bombs, it was out of disgust with the show, and not an attempt to get publicity (although Malcolm was scheming something else).

Jello Biafra once dumped an ashtray on the heads of a number of A&R people while standing on their table singing (in the middle of a show), out of that same disgust.

People yelled at you, spit at or on you, cops tried to arrest you and rednecks tried to attack you 5 on 1 for being a punk, in the early days.

Time passed, the shock wore off and Green Day made punk (or what people think is punk) "cool" and everything became mainstream.

What was lost, and will never return, was "underground" music.
That term now means "a band that sounds like all the crap you've heard before, but they haven't gotten very popular", but the term used to synonymous with "unknown".

I can remember, in the early 90s, asking record store owners if they sold any 60s ska music and them having a blank face and asking me what label the band "60s ska" was on.
Now there's racks and racks full of Less Than Jake clone ska bands, pumping out instantly forgettable formulac sh*te.

We took so much crap for being punks because it was OUR thing.
We were lucky to get to see 2 or 3 good punk shows in a year and the promoters were lucky to get 20 kids at a show, barring big cities like LA, NY, & DC.
We were lucky to find 2 or 3 punk albums in a record store near where you lived.

The same was true of goth, ska, industrial, emo and thrash metal fans.

The Hot Topics and MySpaces have robbed you of your right to be into something that is almost exclusively your own.
They've made it so that that song that meant so much to you, the lyrics of which you practically built your entire life around, in some cases, now helps fat conservatives sell useless crap made from third world slavery.

Most people will tell you that behavior like the Pistols exhibited is "childish", but in their own twisted way, they were trying to preserve something and not have it be exploited.

F*ck MySpace.
Getting "popular" is the kiss of death; a milestone on the road to mediocrity.

Do you forget that all this is powered by the will of other humans? You act like these corporations took each, put a gun to his head, and said that if he didn't change his or her views, morals, mentality and ways of thinking, they were going to blow off there heads? It's not the corporations fault, but the stupid mindless kids that fall for anything they are told is cool. Imagine you come up to a random machine, and it says 'push here for money', and everytime you pushed the button, money would indeed fall in your hand, by the hundreds even. Would you not push it?
Actually, according to King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp, Carter held a meeting with the heads of all the record labels and told them to stop punk in its' tracks.
He said "We don't need this. We don't need another 60's."

After that, "punk" became overlooked, as "new wave" became the thing to be into.
Warner Brothers, who had bought Sire Records, started putting up billboards with Bugs Bunny (WB mascot) in a leather jacket and shades that said "Don't call it punk, call it new wave."

Radio Birdman, DMZ, Dead Boys were all dropped from their label, while safe "new wave" bands like the Talking Heads were pushed all over the radio.

Popular TV Shows like Chips (#1 in it's time slot at the time) had episodes where punks were shown as crazy and evil, while new wave was portrayed as weird, but nice and fun and kinda cool.

The TV show "Square Pegs" (very popular with the young folk) had a new wave character on, but no TV show had a punk rocker (because they were evil).

Change generally happens from the top down, not the bottom up.

If you don't believe it, leave your house and stop the war in Iraq.
Right now.

You can't, but someone like David Rockefeller can.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

I wanna address the capitalist part of your argument.

Kurt Cobain, who I don't have much respect for, was really bummed that Nirvana hit it big.
He never wanted to be a celebrity or rich and famous.
He just wanted to be able to tour and play and have enough to keep that going.

The "American Dream" used to be about the freedom to live how you liked and believe what you wanted to.

After WWII, the financial elite convinced everyone that the American Dream was a home in the suburbs, wife, 2.5 kids and a white picket fence.

If children have to be chained to sewing machines,
oil sheiks that kill women for being raped have to be made billionaires,
and lies that start wars have to be told to the people 24 hours a day,
in order for people to have the convenience of
cheap clothes from WalMart,
gas to drive that four wheel coffin around
and online places to meet someone to take the cheap clothes off with in the back seat of the four wheel coffin...... then so be it.

John Carpenter summed up this sickness we call a society in the first 30 seconds of this part of "They Live".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7442904588893205485

"The whole deal's like some kind of crazy game.
They put you at the starting line and the name of the game is "make it through life";
only everyone's out for themselves and looking to do you in at the same time.
You do what you can, but, remember, I'm gonna do my best to blow your ass away."

Particualrly relevant to this diatribe is the part at 2:03, where he says...

"The poor and the underclass are growing.
Racial justice and human rights are non-existent.
They have created a repressive society and WE ARE THEIR UNWITTING ACCOMPLICES.
...we have been lulled into a trance.
THEY HAVE MADE US INDIFFERENT TO OURSELVES AND TO OTHERS.
WE ARE FOCUSED ONLY ON OUR OWN GAIN.
THEY KEEP US ASLEEP.
KEEP US SELFISH.
KEEP US SEDATED.
Quote by sargasm

woah sorry waterproof. All i know is the kids at my school just talk about getting high and text messaging and facebooking each other. Did'nt know you had one, sorry.
Quote by waterproofpie

And I get reasonably high marks (GPA = about 94-95 with AP's and Honors)

AP courses are awesome. I'm going to finish up my first semester of college with 34 credits. I took three fun and easy classes this semester and next semester I will only have three days of school a week. All because I took care of the hard stuff in high school. We didn't even have a very good AP program.
Ok so apparently Facebook is owned by one kid (he's like 20.) Microsoft owns 1.6% of the shares. Google offered to buy it for 2.3 billion or something ridiculous like that but apparently facebook values itself at 8 billion USD (wow), and the guy doesn't wanna sell it.
Quote by johnnynemo
After WWII, the financial elite convinced everyone that the American Dream was a home in the suburbs, wife, 2.5 kids and a white picket fence.

And then they got rid of all the jobs that could make that happen so that your only hope of finding a job like that required a person to pay into a stupid, largely unnecessary, and totally corrupt college education system to even have a shot at a decent job. Not only that but the system also usually requires education beyond a ****ing four year degree requiring you give cocksucking corporate dickwads even more of your money so that they might hire you in the future (and if your degree is in the liberal arts, don't count on it.)

Meanwhile they spend all of your money on ****ing sports programs and force you to live in a small ****ty room that hasn't changed or been improved since 1963, 3 feet away from a smelly stranger you've never met and you get to use a bathroom only somewhat less pleasant than a truck stop's.

The prices they charge for room and board are outrageous. I'm a local student who lived on campus for my first semester (I had to suck a lot of proverbial **** to get them to let me leave for next semester,) during this time I was not allowed to keep a car, lived in place that has reported a bed bug problem and was given a place not much bigger than a jail cell to share with someone.

Food is not free either, and I am forced to buy it from a ****ty multinational corporation like Sodexho every day.

It's an elitist system that allows poor people the same shot of getting an education that they have of making the cut on American idol.

I'm no socialist but I firmly believe that there are two things that should never be a business and that is education and health care.

The fact that both things are very much capitalist enterprises hurts America greatly as a society.

But high education is something only the elite have access to and of course the elite would like to keep it that way...

Whatever, maybe I'm just bitter..
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Dec 3, 2007,
^I couldn't say it better myself
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Hey, ya know what? MYSPACE IS STILL THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE. TECHNOLOGY RULES EVERYTHING.

Thank you, peace out!
Quote by WFMedia
Hey, ya know what? MYSPACE IS STILL THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE. TECHNOLOGY RULES EVERYTHING.

Thank you, peace out!
It doesn't have to be myspace exactly. If another site comes out, that's better than myspace for musicans, it will take over. What should be said is the internet is the future (which we all know). Even the people who are strongly against myspace recgonize the benifits of myspace. It's the people behind myspace, and are making money off it that they (and me) don't like.

I personally believe that myspace is the best thing out there for self promotion at the moment. It makes me sad that all the money goes to the person that owns Fox "News".
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Ok, mr literalization of everything. Why play the semantics game? Using big words/lots of words doesn't make you smarter or better than anyone. I will probably do alot more with my life and music career than you will, despite your stances and views on everything, Mr soap-box! You DO realize that no one cares about all this crap, be they child OR adult? i am almost 30, with two kids, on my second marriage, with 15 years of experience playing music, and as the middle-america guy, let me tell you - punk is essentially dead, and no one cares. All of america likes what everyone else tells them to. probably 2% of the poulation has a brain. I'm glad that you, as well as I, can function independantly of the norm, but it's a lost battle. Accept what is, and quit whining. MySpace is represenative of the future, ok?

Enough already.
^ **** you dude. Yer full of ****. Punk rock will always be alive. just cos yer too outta touch to realise the cool **** that's going on now, doesn't mean that we can't live our lives the way we want to. Punk rock is alive in every heart that doesn't want to ****ing submit, or back down from bull**** we know in our hearts is wrong. We all believe that the conglomeration of media is wrong. It's especially ****ed up that the Internet, a bastion of free media is being consolidated and conglomerated in this way, as punk, people who stand for an alternative culture, we can't allow this to happen. We have to create things on our own terms, not by terms set by ****ty multinational corporations. it might be yer future but it's not mine. **** you.
Ah, well, that's the freedom of choice we all have. I admit, I will basically be shackling myself in the corporate chains for the rest of my life, and you will probably not go that route. I RESPECT THAT. I may have seen inflammatory, and I apologize. But, sad as it seems, and as good as it may be for the industry, social networking sites are playing a pretty big role nowadays. I can't accurately say punk is dead, but real punk, in the form that is has been lauded, is indeed waning. I personally dig the sub-cultures, and the exciting things they provide. It IS sad to see it all be subject to the whims of some guy on the 60th floor of an office in New York or L.A., but I personally choose to go withthe tide, not against it. it will assure that I get farther.
Quote by WFMedia
Ok, mr literalization of everything. Why play the semantics game? Using big words/lots of words doesn't make you smarter or better than anyone. I will probably do alot more with my life and music career than you will, despite your stances and views on everything, Mr soap-box! You DO realize that no one cares about all this crap, be they child OR adult? i am almost 30, with two kids, on my second marriage, with 15 years of experience playing music, and as the middle-america guy, let me tell you - punk is essentially dead, and no one cares. All of america likes what everyone else tells them to. probably 2% of the poulation has a brain. I'm glad that you, as well as I, can function independantly of the norm, but it's a lost battle. Accept what is, and quit whining. MySpace is represenative of the future, ok?

Enough already.
Like I said, I believe myspace is the best tool for self promotion at the moment. Until something that can match the popularity of myspace, it will continue to be that way. I've said in my previous posts that I've heard alot of really good bands worldwide through myspace, and made some friends that way. In this way, it's a great site. The problem is with who owns the site.

Punk is dead, in the mainstream anyways. But there will always be an underground. It doesn't matter if it's 100,000 kids or 10 kids, it will always be here.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Chaise Boogie
I support using myspaces band pages, it makes things so much easier. But what is it with Punks hating rich people? There is nothing wrong with owning properties. Hell, if I possessed the ability to buy and sell, I'd be an entrep[eanurnuenreu.

And with all this talk of Chattanooga shows, it makes me wonder what I'm doing spending my nights here...

Help me out with that Whyvern.

Alot of people would argue that ownership is wrong and inherntly exploitative.

There's tons of shows in Chattanooga all the time. Next time I'm gonna be there is December 30th, my band is playing there with Delay, Doomhawk and the Max Levine Ensemble at Anarchtica, 621 W Bell Ave. off of Cherokee blvd.
what about purevolume? who owns that? that always seemed to me like a better place for bands than myspace.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by whyvern
Alot of people would argue that ownership is wrong and inherntly exploitative.

There's tons of shows in Chattanooga all the time. Next time I'm gonna be there is December 30th, my band is playing there with Delay, Doomhawk and the Max Levine Ensemble at Anarchtica, 621 W Bell Ave. off of Cherokee blvd.

Is it a rough scene? I don't want my asskicked or my feelings hurt.
Quote by Ska Wars
what about purevolume? who owns that? that always seemed to me like a better place for bands than myspace.
I don't know who owns it. It does seem like a good place for bands. The only thing is that everyone isn't on purevolume, like they are on myspace
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Page 1 of 2