I play a lot, and I have my Peavey XXX on for an average of about 2 hours a day for the past year that I've owned it. It was a floor model too, so it had a lot of wear on it before I bought it. Anyway, lately it seems like I cant get any gain out of the thing. I have to put my TS9 over the Ultra channel to get the amount of gain I was used to getting my itself. If I play it without the tubescreamer it still sounds distorted, but my palm mutes sound very weak, and if I pick lightly enough, even with the gain on 10, it sounds like I'm playing on clean. Also, the mids just kind of sound too boxy for me. I normally never make the mids go over 5, because if I do, its just very obnoxious. So I'm thinking that these reasons should lead for me to change out the tubes, but I dont want to spend $50 and find out its another problem. So if anyone could help me out and let me know if that sounds like what tubes do when they start to die, because I havent had this experience yet. If not, what else could it be? Also, if I change out the tubes I would likely get the high gain tubes from here. Are they good? Thanks for any help. If you need any more info let me know.
I would go to guitar center/other music place and ask them.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Seems pretty likely that its the tubes. You're due for a replacement anyway so if they aren't the problem for some reason it won' be a waste.
Quote by feltgrape
I would go to guitar center/other music place and ask them.

NEVER!

Yeah, TS, but the link given is for the head, not the combo...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
chances are yes. i wouldnt know, speaking from experience, but common sense would say to me that if i think it's the tubes, it's the tubes.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by aznrockerdude
NEVER!

Yeah, TS, but the link given is for the head, not the combo...

Well I assumed they would be the same tubes used, and if it came with extras because theres a difference in power or preamp tubes between the head and the combo, I'll just have backups. Thanks guys, Ill try to get my amp in soon.