Page 1 of 2
wyldeshredder
Doesn't like Zakk Wylde
1,928 IQ
my band just got a kick ass girl singer. she can really friggin belt it. the only problem is that we do a lot of long instrumental passages,and she doesnt really know how to act during these parts. we play metal,but she grew up on country, so she's not the type to start headbanging and going ape****. what should she do instead? i tried to search this topic,but i wasnt really sure what to search.plz be aware that im not a search bar nazi. thx 4 any help in advance
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Captirk
252 IQ
Have her like, I dunno, clap her hands or something. Get her a Tambourine, haha.
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
Zeh
Eight of Nine
11 IQ
go get a drink of water. Then jump back out on stage when her time comes.
Real eyes realise real lies.
smitty131
voodoo child
63 IQ
watch some videos of hayley williams (lead singer of paramore) on youtube. that should give you some ideas.
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
set up a pole on stage. i think she'll know what to do from here. or just tell her to stop being country and jump in the pit with everyone else for a while lol. or if you wanted to be funny, you could get her to do stupid stuff like...i dont know. my mind is blank. get her to sit on the floor and eat? lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Bhaok
The evil old man
26 IQ
Have her strip or get her a cow bell!!MORE COW BELL!!!!MOOOOOOOOO
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
wyldeshredder
Doesn't like Zakk Wylde
1,928 IQ
Quote by smitty131
watch some videos of hayley williams (lead singer of paramore) on youtube. that should give you some ideas.

thx,will do.
she's only 14,and her parents will be in the crowd...stripping isnt really reasonable...but maybe if she sat a water bottle beside the drums,she could grab a drink
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Muphin
UG Newbie
1,090 IQ
+1 on the strip.

But if she's ugly and/or not a slut then show her some recordings of Oasis playing live. Liam just kinda ****s around, and it works.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Vulco_Vesper
Neimand Geht Vorbei
33 IQ
Stand around, headbang, drink water, and generally don't look at the crowd or put the microphone anywhere near your mouth. Unfortunately there's not really alot you can do to look cool during instrumentals when don't play anything.
Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Muphin

show her some recordings of Oasis playing live. Liam just kinda ****s around, and it works.

Agreed.
If she can't make the right moves on stage, then looking too cool to move works just as well.
Years ago, I saw a band called Poisoned Electric Head. One of the best gigs I've ever seen, but it turned out the singer had a serious bout of flu and felt like he was dying, but the 'ill' look really suited him as he hunched over the mike stand, holding on to it to keep him stood upright. He'd gone straight from being asleep in the van to being on stage so he looked unkempt and ruffled and somehow it just made him look really cool, dark and sinister, and all he was doing was trying to get through the gig the best way he could.
The next time I saw them, he was his apparently normal, happy, smiling, dancing, self and it just didn't work for me the same way, I went home feeling disappointed at the end of the night.
I went from being a bass player in one band to being the lead vocalist in a Sabbath tribute band. I didn't have the first clue of what I should be doing during the instrumental parts so I studied Sabbath videos and watched how Ozzy does it. (It turns out that being an Ozzy impersinator is easy because he just f*cks around and acts silly on stage.)
During one song (Dirty Women) the guitarist plays a really long solo, so I let him have the stage, walk off, sit down backstage, catch my breath, wipe the sweat off, have a drink, have a smoke, and run back on rejuvinated just in time for the next line.
Just get her to watch loads of recordings of female singers (and male singers too I guess) to see what they do.
Metal_Rich
1,103 IQ
Have a drink! Go off stage for a while like LaBrie.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
maggot2011
b!tch/n!gga
525 IQ
If she can play an instrument let her have a part in the instrumentals or if not... cow bell/tambourine works great (just look at the real Stairway to Heaven with the 4-minute solo live).
Leper Affinity
I Love Noodles
49 IQ
I sent you a message, pm me back after you read it
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Symmetry4321
517 IQ
That is a problem for us too, we play classic rock (sort of) with alot of twin guitars, and our singer has the stage presence of a frightened mouse, how do we make that better?
RockerPseudonym
UG's Resident Evil
364 IQ
Whilst one of the members plays a solo, have her feign jacking off. S'what I used to do before I started playing guitar (Can't do both just yet without sounding like ****)
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
cigarette break in the back?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
snot_foster25
603 IQ
Uh, EC, she's only 14. You may have missed that.

Have her check out some video's of some of the great frontmen of modern times, in particular, chicks like the chick from Paramore, because what she does might be a little more suited to a teenage girl, but I wouldn't really know about that.

From everything I've seen, Anthony Kiedis from RHCP gives a show by himself when he's not singing, it's great fun to watch him go nuts on stage, and it keeps the crowd happy.
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
^oops. my bad.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
snot_foster25
603 IQ
EDIT: Geh, ****ing computer.

I had one other thought, though. I think someone said it earlier, but have her go out into the crowd and stir up some excitement, get amongst the fans, and it'll build up the atmosphere.
Freunleven
Flying Monkey King
1,714 IQ
Just have her move to the back, grab a drink of water, catch her breath, and be ready to come back in after the instrumental bit. There's nothing wrong with having the frontperson step back and let the rest of the band show off for a bit.

feltgrape
Redefining Voice
603 IQ
Quote by Metal_Rich

In Dream Theaters case, LaBrie could go take a shower, then run back in right on time for that high F# note haha.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

civilunrest
UG's UG'er
298 IQ
Quote by Metal_Rich

He mustn't spend too much time on stage
But there's not really too much you can do besides headbang or grab some water. Just get her to make sure she just doesn't stand still.
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.
queenofthenight
21 IQ
Quote by Symmetry4321
That is a problem for us too, we play classic rock (sort of) with alot of twin guitars, and our singer has the stage presence of a frightened mouse, how do we make that better?

I suggest an acting class. If the singer thinks of it as monologues set to music, that might help. I also think it would be useful for your singer to watch other bands and take note of how the singers behave and how it comes across. Are there any musical reasons your singer might be insecure?
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
have your singer move to the music, doesn't have to be anything super in depth just go with it (dont just stand there looking dumbfounded in otherwords) i've seen singers do lotsa stuff, hop down into the crowd to talk to people, headbang, dance along / sway to the music, grab a beer..... just in general some antics to keep people entertained.
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
Quote by feltgrape
In Dream Theaters case, LaBrie could go take a shower, then run back in right on time for that high F# note haha.

lol. So true. But it's not just James that can do that. Back in the day, they used to play Metropolis Pt. 1 quite often and they would have an intermission of an undetermined amount of time in the middle of the song and Petrucci actually fell asleep on stage once.

In response to the original question, just get her to do something to get the audience involved. Or she could just go back stage and relax until she is needed again.
Dethvone1
Aspiring Singer/Guitarist
459 IQ
Give her an instrument. It wouldn't hurt to have her humming or wailing every now and then during solos. But yeah, like another person said, if the crowd is still looking at the singer the guitarist isn't doing his job. =p
Last edited by Dethvone1 at Dec 28, 2007,
gallgael
10 IQ
depending on the lyrics you might get her to bathe in/spill the blood of a lamb and throw the guts in the crowd whilst eating sheep brains...

nah...

i like the idea of her sitting on the ground having breakfast...
MusicalMinority
someone's listening in.
2,028 IQ
Just step back and let the guitarists have center stage.
That's what a solo/instrumental passage is all about anyways.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
RIM99
116 IQ
Have her do backflips...

No, in all seriousness, just have her go up to the guitarist or whatever while they're doing their thing and have her watch them and then motion to the crowd to give 'em props or clap their hands if its applicable in the part.
Fik0n
50 IQ
Buy a book on how to act cool on stage.

OR/AND

just copy what the popular bands are doing.

It's not like it's about free expression we're you are allowed to do what you want. After buying those books you should make sure to practice looking cool alot so you'll be ready when it comes to playing in front of a crowd.
trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
Get rid of her. Honestly, no joke. Girl singers = bad news. In my first band we had a girl singer to didn't play any instruments, and none of us sang, so we turned into her back up band... it turned into an Avril Lavigne/Ashley Simpson deal so I quit soon after. Its another thing if she plays like rhythm guitar and a guy takes some of the lead vocals. Plus, why would you recruit a girl steeped in country to sing in a metal band?
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Porteus
35 IQ
Quote by trey-col89
Get rid of her. Honestly, no joke. Girl singers = bad news. In my first band we had a girl singer to didn't play any instruments, and none of us sang, so we turned into her back up band... it turned into an Avril Lavigne/Ashley Simpson deal so I quit soon after. Its another thing if she plays like rhythm guitar and a guy takes some of the lead vocals. Plus, why would you recruit a girl steeped in country to sing in a metal band?

Your insistence that all female singers are useless is ridiculous. There exist female singers of outstanding quality; equally, there exist male singers of such quality. Sex plays little part in the matter, assuming that the singer in question can fulfil her role within the band.
triggerhappy19
french toast
1,223 IQ
Quote by trey-col89

...wow.
wyldeshredder
Doesn't like Zakk Wylde
1,928 IQ
Quote by trey-col89

1-she can really ****in sing
2-she has no problem singing metal,and has shown and interest in it.
3-she is completely open to instrumentation,we do a huge instrumental tune where she just completely leaves the stage
4-she is not much of a "look at me,i'm so cool and hot" kind of person,so we dont have to worry about the ashley simpson show.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

trey-col89
the angry young man
1,127 IQ
I'm not saying all female singers are useless... but the bands who have important female singers have special cases where the female isn't the main focus. Jefferson Airplane for example, great band... Grace Slick is not the only singer, therefore she's not the main focus and its more a focus on the group as a whole. When the female singer becomes the main focus of a band of all guys, they turn into her back up band is all im saying, at least in my experience, no need for everyone to get an ulcer thinking im a chauvanistic pig or whatever.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Sid Vicouis
Banned
547 IQ
just have her go away into the background, if she doesnt know and let the lead guitar take the stage, or other musicians
hurlyz
My name is Karim
1,753 IQ
Quote by ECistheBest
cigarette break in the back?
For a singer?? That's a quite nice way to fuck up your voice for the rest of the show!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!