Page 1 of 2
I play mostly metal but i also play other stuff

im looking for a marshall half stack that would sound good for metal

any suggestions?
Quote by Firenze
My freaking balls! I just shaved them and the hair is growing back already. WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF.

lmao^^^^

Quote by Denthúl

The MG is way better than my JCM900...even Slash has an MG.

wow^^^

Quote by BHC zoley
Panda-core
call me crazy
but i think it's going places
i guess i dont need a marshall i just alway thought it would be cool to have one but if there are any other brands that are better for metal the thats fine to

id like to to find one under 1500 dollars

oh and im starting to gig and my 50 watt peavey combo aint cuttin it

and i play like shadows fall kinda stuff idk what u wanna call it
Quote by Firenze
My freaking balls! I just shaved them and the hair is growing back already. WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF.

lmao^^^^

Quote by Denthúl

wow^^^

Quote by BHC zoley
Panda-core
call me crazy
the only people that need half stacks are bands like lamb of god like steve vai that playes arenas.
Its just allot harder to carry.But it does look cool.
ya ive heard a lot of bad stuff about MGs
Quote by Firenze

lmao^^^^

Quote by Denthúl

wow^^^

Quote by BHC zoley
Panda-core
call me crazy
marshalls are overpriced and the sound isnt very good for metal i would go with randall under $1500 great for metal!
ok ill check those out
Quote by Firenze

lmao^^^^

Quote by Denthúl

wow^^^

Quote by BHC zoley
Panda-core
call me crazy
is that like the 6505 cuz i was lookin at that one to
Quote by Firenze

lmao^^^^

Quote by Denthúl

wow^^^

Quote by BHC zoley
Panda-core
call me crazy
Quote by tenaciousjp
marshalls are overpriced and the sound isnt very good for metal i would go with randall under $1500 great for metal!

Depends on what type of metal. They are pretty good for thrash man. Underoath's new cd has some freaking bomb ass tone and they use marshalls
You can play metal on any of the JCM series. It just depends on how much gain you want in your sound, but you can solve that by an OD or EQ pedal to shape your sound. Also you have to like the typical Marshall sound.
Marshall's, like everyone else stated, aren't the best for metal. Look for a Peavey 5150/6505, it would be worlds better for metal than any Marshall. But like others have stated also, you do not need a half-stack. No one needs a half-stack in this modern age of nice PA systems.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Marshall JCM800 + OD & EQ = Thrash.
Peavey 6505/ENGL/Mesa can do thrash, and also sound great for metalcore stuff

Of course this is major generalisation, but I'm referring to the main amps you'll be advised to buy
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Say Ocean
Depends on what type of metal. They are pretty good for thrash man. Underoath's new cd has some freaking bomb ass tone and they use marshalls

such a good thrash metal band.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by omarrodrigez
Marshall's, like everyone else stated, aren't the best for metal. Look for a Peavey 5150/6505, it would be worlds better for metal than any Marshall. But like others have stated also, you do not need a half-stack. No one needs a half-stack in this modern age of nice PA systems.

That is a load of crap. If you have a preference for a sound from a specific brand, then that doesn't mean that the Marshalls "aren't the best for metal". They do a good job on metal, there are numerous bands that use them for just that.

I agree with you on the half stack comment.
jcm, peavy windsor (quite a bit cheaper but still nice), engl of some sort(quite a few in your range, there are also some mesas in that range ...(i wouldnt recommend the dual recto that sound is done to death)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
why did you have to throw that in there? if we are talking about metal sounding amps, underoath cannot be anywhere near this thread. he doesnt care what tones underoath gets from the marshall, because they arent metal tones.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
why did you have to throw that in there? if we are talking about metal sounding amps, underoath cannot be anywhere near this thread. he doesnt care what tones underoath gets from the marshall, because they arent metal tones.

Listen to the newest cd, good metal tone, even if the music isn't totally metal. Its still metalcore though (the newest ****)

edit: I would NOT mind having this tone http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYcDDNULTUE

God damn their videos suck though jesus
And...back on-topic...

If you really want a Marshall half stack that's good for Metal and still has sparkling cleans, go with a JCM 900 SL-X 2500 half-stack. Not your average Marshall. It's only 50 Watts(thank God), has a LOT of gain, and is just an all around amazing amp. Though, some don't like it. Anyway, definitely try it out.

If you're not that interested in cleans, I do reccommend the 5150 or 6505 like others have stated. Just to be clear, though, they are NOT the exact same amp. However, they are easily comparable.

Edit - ^That is definitely not a Metal tone. And, I WOULD mind having it. Sounds horrible, in my opinion.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
underoath never was or is close to being metalcore or close to having metal undertones except on their first cd.

but wtv
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Stop arguing about what is and isn't Metalcore. Jeez. I think this thread's got enough spam, now.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Haha I don't care what the **** ug says metalcore is, metalcore can be pretty broad. It has elements of metal, elements of hardcore, not to mention lots of other ****. Its not just poppy screamo like their other stuff (minus the first cd). Who cares what ****ing genre they are in? The point is I would definately not mind that tone for my metal/hardcore band. Jeeeez can we get back to the damn topic

ANYWAY I would play metal with a boosted jcm 800, 900 SLX, DSL, maybe a JVM
^
Actually, the JVM is supposedly the highest gain Marshall ever. Then again, for the price, I'm doubting a few of the things Marshall advertises about it.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

sigh
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
^
Actually, the JVM is supposedly the highest gain Marshall ever. Then again, for the price, I'm doubting a few of the things Marshall advertises about it.

It has more gain than you need, more than you'll ever use, and thats coming from a rectifier owner

Just because its high gain, doesn't mean its a great metal amp though. Its versatile, it has lots of gain, but I would take a JCM800 + a boost over it. Same with a DSL
would u guys mind throwing in sum prices?
im looking for the same thing
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Yeah I'd say Marshall gives more of a Classic rock, bluesy kinda sound which is cool. And you can still pull off a pretty good Metal tone, id probably recommend a JCM800 or something. Im not sure about Mesa because I havent heard much of them but you should check them out too.
well whether or not u call underoath metal i like their tone too
i think im gonna go with the 6505+ halfstack but still 100% sure
Quote by Firenze

lmao^^^^

Quote by Denthúl

wow^^^

Quote by BHC zoley
Panda-core
call me crazy
Quote by laurens666
That is a load of crap. If you have a preference for a sound from a specific brand, then that doesn't mean that the Marshalls "aren't the best for metal". They do a good job on metal, there are numerous bands that use them for just that.

I agree with you on the half stack comment.

I never said there was anything wrong with Marshalls, but the general consensus is there are better amps out there for metal. I own a JCM900 and it does metal great, I'm no Marshall hater or anything.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
A 50 Watt all-tube combo should be more than enough for gigging. Especially if you're playing metal and will have the gain cranked to 10. Just get an amp stand to help the amp project more. No reason to lug around a half-stack unless you're playing outside with no PAS.

You should also be more specific on the type of sound you want. Give examples of bands that have the kind of tone you're looking for.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Most of these amps are supremely overpriced. If you could find a Peavey 5150, that would be great, except I've heard the cleans are not that great. The new one by Fender is supposed to be awesome, except the head alone costs in excess of 2 grand.
Good luck, because in the $1500 price range its going to be hard to find a head + cab and there are SO many options.
Most are just a little more, but then if you'respending only $100 more, why not spend, $200 more for a better amp? Oh wait, you can now get a mesa foe just $300 more, so why not upgrade? It's a self defeating cycle haha
I hope that made sense.
Quote by Jester.Race
Most of these amps are supremely overpriced. If you could find a Peavey 5150, that would be great, except I've heard the cleans are not that great. The new one by Fender is supposed to be awesome, except the head alone costs in excess of 2 grand.
Good luck, because in the $1500 price range its going to be hard to find a head + cab and there are SO many options.
Most are just a little more, but then if you'respending only $100 more, why not spend, $200 more for a better amp? Oh wait, you can now get a mesa foe just $300 more, so why not upgrade? It's a self defeating cycle haha
I hope that made sense.

Why bash amps and call them overpriced and then suggest an amp you haven't tried
Page 1 of 2