dude, Ibanez pwn Squiers in every possible way. Get the Ibanez.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
dude, Ibanez pwn Squiers in every possible way. Get the Ibanez.

+ 100000000000
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
im assuming its a first guitar.. as you wouldnt want one otherwise,
def ibanez, the fact that you say vai and satch, who both use them is evidence enough you should want one.

on top of that

why would you want a strat??

you would be stupid not to go ibanez.
*Enter Sig Here*
yeah, both Satch and Vai have Ibanez signature guitars , not to mention other significant artists.

Who does Squier have? Oh, thats right. Tom Delonge and Hello Kitty....
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Have you already got a guitar??? If so, don't buy either - they're both pretty crap except as a starter guitar. Save some cash and get a better qulity axe, for example the Ibanez SA260.

If you really have to buy a guitar on that budget get a Yamaha Pacifica 112(L) which is far better and costs around $200.
Might I suggest this? It's only about $100 more, and definitely more versatile and reliable than the other two.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by kyle62
Have you already got a guitar??? If so, don't buy either - they're both pretty crap except as a starter guitar. Save some cash and get a better qulity axe, for example the Ibanez SA260.

If you really have to buy a guitar on that budget get a Yamaha Pacifica 112(L) which is far better and costs around $200.

The Yamaha isnt really much better, only more versatile. And TS says he likes Satch and Vai, who both use Ibanez. Im willing to bet the Ibanez sounds better than both the squier and the Pacifica.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
it will be my first guitar. playing it may or may not lead to anything, therefore my budget is $300 including an amp. Ibanez seems to be the overwhelming favorite, however a couple of my friends insist that Ibanez is only suited for playing metal.
The Yamaha isnt really much better, only more versatile. And TS says he likes Satch and Vai, who both use Ibanez. Im willing to bet the Ibanez sounds better than both the squier and the Pacifica.
It's comparable to the Squier, but has a bridge humbucker so's a lot better for shred styles.
But the GRX is the worst of all mentioned so far. I've played a few and the trem is the biggest problem - the guitar simply can't hold tuning at all! The pickups are okay but a bit too muddy for technical styles.
yeah, both Satch and Vai have Ibanez signature guitars , not to mention other significant artists.

Who does Squier have? Oh, thats right. Tom Delonge and Hello Kitty....
I seriously hope that was a joke. You can't compare the two in any way, remember that Satch and Vai play $3000 Ibanezes. If Squier made guitars for $3000 I bet they'd be bloody good too (...in fact they are, and they're called 'Fender').

Ibanez make great quality budget guitars in the lower-mid ranges, but their bottom end stuff is junk (especially the acoustics, GRX and GIO). I agree with Dog454, if you already have a guitar save a bit longer and get a fully-fledged Ibanez like an RG or SA. They're lightyears ahead in build quality and sound, though it's best to go for one with a non-floating trem at that price.
im not that ignorant, the prices are all too real for me, but my point being, Ibanez for him looks like the better alternative(also looks like this is his first axe), id suggest an Epi myself, but meh. Personally, i dont think single coils will cut it for the stuff TS is looking to play, The Yamaha has a humbucker, sure, but the neck pup is a single, and i actually didnt like the build on the Pacifica when i tried it.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
im not that ignorant, the prices are all too real for me, but my point being, Ibanez for him looks like the better alternative(also looks like this is his first axe), id suggest an Epi myself, but meh. Personally, i dont think single coils will cut it for the stuff TS is looking to play, The Yamaha has a humbucker, sure, but the neck pup is a single, and i actually didnt like the build on the Pacifica when i tried it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-LeftHander-?sku=511383

is the only epiphone that is within my strict budget. what is your opinion on it? I've been told from numerous sources that while all three of my options are crap, this epiphone is horrendous, which is why I didn't list it.
Quote by BFun

i would also recommend you to buy an epiphone. it is the value brand for gibson, just like the squiers. epiphone's guitar quality is worth the price that you pay for them. but if you are into metal, then i'd think you should save for the epiphone zakk wylde les paul custom. it has 2 emg pickups, suitable for metal playing.
Gear:
Epi LP JR
Laney LG12
Yeah, it is. But starter guitars are all fairly similar anyway;you could discuss them all day but all that really you need is a solid, versatile instrument that you can play until you're in positon to make up your own mind. For that reason I wouldn't suggest the Ibanez, simply because it's not as good a guitar as the Squier or Yamaha.

True, Ibanez are best known for excellent shred guitars but a huge amount of their profit comes from the archtops and jazz guitar market. Your tastes will change over time, so you want an instrument that can do lots of different styles. For example, I started off listening to Satch and Vai (as do many people) but only a few years later and I play a Telecaster, and a lap steel!

I suggest you go into a guitar store sometime and ask to check out a few guitars. Just pick out whatever looks and feels most comfortable yo you, beyond that it doesn't really matter. You'll likely end up with a Squier and a Marshall MG, like everyone else, but I'm sure you'll be happy with them until you decide to move up a bit.
Quote by gilaboyfjs
i would also recommend you to buy an epiphone. it is the value brand for gibson, just like the squiers. epiphone's guitar quality is worth the price that you pay for them. but if you are into metal, then i'd think you should save for the epiphone zakk wylde les paul custom. it has 2 emg pickups, suitable for metal playing.

the epiphone I posted is the only one within my price range. as much as I like the epi LPs I can't afford a 100 and definitely not a standard unless GC has some sort of christmas sale.

Quote by kyle62
Yeah, it is. But starter guitars are all fairly similar anyway;you could discuss them all day but all that really you need is a solid, versatile instrument that you can play until you're in positon to make up your own mind. For that reason I wouldn't suggest the Ibanez, simply because it's not as good a guitar as the Squier or Yamaha.

that is my concern. I would like the most versatile of the two since I have a pretty eclectic music taste but I don't want to sacrifice the ability to play technical stuff like Vai and Satch.
Quote by kyle62
Don't like the first one at all, but the Dragonfly is excellent. Fernandes make excellent guitars. Shame the threadstarter's a lefty....

whoops, forgot about that. let's see what ebay finds...
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
thanks for the ebay link. it helps, but the shipping will really eat a big chunk of my budget. I also don't know what the best deals are.

from what I can tell these look good but I doubt they will go for under $250

http://cgi.ebay.com/left-handed-fender-guitar_W0QQitemZ270191912075QQihZ017QQcategoryZ155301QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Guitar-G-400-left-handed-gig-bag-and-stand_W0QQitemZ200179842929QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
for the price range you have, i would suggest a hardtail. (i'm also an ibanez guy)