Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my guitar.

It's a zakk wydle epiphone which I bought on ebay (it was a fair price, slightly cheaper than I could have got from a online store, the seller lived in my state and the guitar was sent from there. and had 1500+ 100% positive feedback) It has active emg 81/85 set in it. I have been playing for 18 years and this guitar is very nice to play, very low action, looks beautifully made. Intonation was spot on. The pickups look to be proffesionaly installed.

But the serial does not add up according to http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

the Serial begins with IO586XXXX

insert any random number instead of the x's , thats the production number, no point posting them.

But this means made in korea in 2005 on the 86th month...

I have seen fakes on ebay , but they were gibson zakks. I did all my homework on this and if not for guitar dater website i'd never have questioned it.

Anyone have an explanation for the serial ?
April Vineyard.
I just put my serial number in, mine was made in China. How interesting!

If it was a fake, then how come it came up with any information on that site!? If it was, then wouldn't there be no information on it atall!?

Either way, if it plays as well as you say....that's a pretty good fake, lol.
~:.*.:~She Is Your Suffering~:.*.:~

Quote by Green_Jelly
Hello Kitty. Everyone knows cats can't play guitar.
Yeah ^

It does play very nice, Ive just looked at photos of headstocks and the main difference is mine is stamped with

"Limited edition epiphone custom shop"

epiphone has a custom shop?
April Vineyard.
Post some pics up and ill have a look at it,

Main points are headstock shape, body colour (cream or white - real ones are a darkish cream), headstock shape, print on the back of the headstock.
Ok first shot is mine , and yes the paint line looks dodgy..

this one below is a apparantly a real headstock, though im not sure of they vary. i also think this one is a second.

And finally this one below is suppose to be a fake , though the serial is correct.
Also it has a curved paint line. Although zakks pose is the same as mine, mine is just black , doesnt have the white on it like this one.

Sigh , im quite after staring at the pics and mine, im pretty sure it is a fake. albiet a nice playing one. Guess you have to get ripped off sooner or later when you use ebay >.<
April Vineyard.
Last edited by Nicoles at Dec 3, 2007,
Has yours got lacquer on the neck? The bottom one looks like it has which is a definite sign its a fake.

Also I have the epi Zakk wylde buzzsaw (orange/black) and it has that epi custom shop logo like yours.

If you put my serial in that website it comes up with:

Your guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
August 2005
Last edited by zw44 at Dec 3, 2007,
Quote by zw44
Has yours got lacquer on the neck? The bottom one looks like it has which is a definite sign its a fake.

Also I have the epi Zakk wylde buzzsaw (orange/black) and it has that epi custom shop logo like yours.

If you put my serial in that website it comes up with:

Your guitar was made at the
Unsung Plant, Korea
August 2005

The neck isnt raw, you can't feel the grain, I think it does have a very thin layer of something on it though im not certain though.
April Vineyard.
Last edited by Nicoles at Dec 3, 2007,
Quote by Nicoles
The neck isnt raw, you can't feel the grain, I think it does have a very thick layer of something on it though im not certain though.

It will have sanding sealer on it, but it shouldnt look glossy.

The only thing on yours which is a bit different is the line of paint which extends part way from the headstock down the neck - its straight whereas on mine it is a curve. However it might just be poor QC at epi. Also the serial number is confusing...
Quote by zw44
It will have sanding sealer on it, but it shouldnt look glossy.

The only thing on yours which is a bit different is the line of paint which extends part way from the headstock down the neck - its straight whereas on mine it is a curve. However it might just be poor QC at epi. Also the serial number is confusing...

All my tuners seem to be slightly offset to the right, unlike those other 2 photo's . every pic I see is different , but they are made in alot of different factorys, i have no idea who similar they are between factorys.

It's so much nicer to play than my b.c rich NJ too.
April Vineyard.
Question: Does yours have a satin finished birdseye maple neck? Also the ones I've played did not have scarf joints like yours. That said yours has the Epiphone Custom Shop logo, which the others don't, pointing me towards those two being fake.
Quote by Nicoles
It's so much nicer to play than my b.c rich NJ too.

B.C Rich need to be sent that quote...a potential fake plays better than their guitars.

Burn.
~:.*.:~She Is Your Suffering~:.*.:~

Quote by Green_Jelly
Hello Kitty. Everyone knows cats can't play guitar.
Maybe you could take it to a local shop to have it examined... maybe a professional could tell you if it's a fake or not
Quote by CJRocker
Question: Does yours have a satin finished birdseye maple neck? Also the ones I've played did not have scarf joints like yours. That said yours has the Epiphone Custom Shop logo, which the others don't, pointing me towards those two being fake.

i really dont know much about wood, it looks like wood thats been polished, i mean its smooth , it catches the light, but its not got a thick clear coat.

there is joint in the neck that runs from the nut to the 3rd fret, wich is the headstock piece (how it gets its angle) i dont know if thats normal or not.

only thing i can find on custom shop is http://www.epiphone-customshop.de/

wich doesnt explain much and no sign of any zakks there. All i know if this is a 190$ guitar i dont see why anyone would be anything else. Is a joy to play and sounds like a thick wall of pleasure, like on zakks suicide messiah.

Why i dont take it to a store? if there was a local store i'd not have bought online

yes poor b.c rich , i had my first b.c rich since like 91' wafered korean piece of crap. I came into some money in 2005 so i bought a NJ warlock, Wich is nice enough just needs a pro setup. Doesnt hold a candle to the zakk though in tone or neck speed.

Im just confused at moment
April Vineyard.
That scarf joint looks odd, almost like its paint Likewise Epi puts the custom shop print on every artist Signature LP by them I've played, and all their limited runs, though checking Ebay it seems some don't, but I know the one I played at Guitar Center did, though that me because it was one alpine white ones and not the aged ones. Still for $190, coupled with that odd joint, has me leaning towards fake
You expected to get the real thing for $190?

*Scratches head in amazement*

That ALONE tells me it's a fake.
Quote by WFMedia
You expected to get the real thing for $190?

*Scratches head in amazement*

That ALONE tells me it's a fake.

as stated in the original post i paid slightly below what they cost.

(in australia they retail for about 1899$ but the big online stores sell them for 1400-1500$)

And thats about how much i paid for it , though it has active pickups and came with a case.

The site that sells fake gibsons charges 190$ (URL is on the photo of the fake)
April Vineyard.
By the way the serial number font and location points towards a fake. Did you buy from a reputable seller? You may have been ripped by a lot of money but if it's good them who cares? The Epiphone ZW is still a copy of the Gibson ZW anyway.

Have you checked that the pickups are genuine EMG? Do they have a slightly shiny finish on the black cover?
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!