So I need a relatively cheap and reliable back up guitar. I was wondering what you all think the best guitar for 300 to 400 dollars is? I usually play everything from progressive metal/rock (dream theater) to funk (RHCP). I was leaning towards one of the lower end Ibanez's but wanted to hear your opinions first.

-Thanks
Quote by Rascal_King
You can get a good 'back up' Epiphone for that price.

really? I've heard some bad things about lower end epiphones....
Quote by mpmurph29
go with ESP LTDs

They wont let you down

They will. Anything under a -400 series is a waste of space.

A low-end RG would be perfect for this guy with a pickup change.

Ibanez S320/470? With a pickup change, works a treat. Works for me anyway.
Last edited by webbtje at Dec 3, 2007,
I've never had a problem with an Epiphone over £350. That's probably about $500 though, I don't know.
epiphones are okay, for the price. especially the g-400. get it! you won't regret
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.
So far the only good suggestions I've seen were from webbtje and guitarboy. Low-end Epiphones have practically non-existent QC, and I could make better pickups myself with a tin can and a piece of string....
Quote by webbtje
They will. Anything under a -400 series is a waste of space.

A low-end RG would be perfect for this guy with a pickup change.

Ibanez S320/470? With a pickup change, works a treat. Works for me anyway.

Yeah, this sounds like what I will probably end up doing. Thanks....
In my opinion, a Fender strat is the most versatile guitar ever but even if you get the HSS model, I don't think you'll come close to the Dream Theater tone. So I'm just throwing the Strat out there as a suggestion to try out, it'll obviously be perfect for RHCP but I dunno if you'd like it for stuff like Dream Theater.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Cort G series, Peavey predators, Yamaha Pacificas. You can get them second-hand new for less than $100.

It should leave you with some change for spare cables, spare strings and a few pints.
Quote by Universal_Mind
So I need a relatively cheap and reliable back up guitar. I was wondering what you all think the best guitar for 300 to 400 dollars is? I usually play everything from progressive metal/rock (dream theater) to funk (RHCP). I was leaning towards one of the lower end Ibanez's but wanted to hear your opinions first.

-Thanks

There are dozens of answers to this question. Go to the music store and tell the salesman you want to try out everything in that price range. If you tell him what kind of music you want to play he can narrow down the choices for you.
The couple guys saying lower end Ibanez guitars are right. Seemingly the only company worth buying low end guitars from now-a-days is Ibanez.

The Ibanez RG321MH has it all for a "low end" guitar. Thin neck, 24 frets, 25.5" scale, mahogany RG body, light weight, AMB bridge, string through, switch that could be switched out for a true 5-way for coil splitting, and with a pickup change (definitely needed) you get the sound of a much more expensive guitar. It's one of the most recommended "low end" guitars I've ever read about. And, even with the new PUs it can all be yours for under $400.
Ibanez RG350/370. Great guitars for the price. It has the Edge III, but as a backup that shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I want to have a bunch of ESP MH-50s as my backups, and just continuously smash the crap out of them at the end of each show. But that might get a little expensive.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by soggycrow
There are dozens of answers to this question. Go to the music store and tell the salesman you want to try out everything in that price range. If you tell him what kind of music you want to play he can narrow down the choices for you.

Do it at a local music store GC guys will try to get you **** you dont want. Well 60% of the time.