ANyone have experience from buying from this guy?

Can u list process of order, S&H costs, paying method, etc.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Mesa lonestar [prolly trade my DR for it]
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
Stephen Designs '59 pups [waiting for them to come]
A new bridge pup.
I ordered pickups from him a year ago.

I started with an email just telling him what I was looking for. We wrote 3 or 4 emails to one another narrowing the field. Finally I decided on a set of pickups (Mojo "V", overwound).

Once verifying my order, I sent him payment by pay-pal. The total price for pickups plus shipping was $255. He's since raised the price slightly, so it'll probably be a bit more.

My order was placed the last week of December 2006. I received my pickups around last week of February 2007.

They are the best pickups I've ever owned for my Strat. Period. And I've spent a lot of money and a lot of time over the years trying to get a tone I really liked from it. The order will probably take a couple weeks longer than his original estimate, but to me it's worth it. I'll definitely be buying from Dave again in the future.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 3, 2007,
hmm...

what kind of clean sound were you looking for?
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.
I was actually focusing on cleans when I ordered the pickups. They're pretty low output. The cleans are outstanding, and don't come off as harsh or brash when strummed. They're bright without being glassy or twangy, and full-sounding without being bassy. Love 'em.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I was actually focusing on cleans when I ordered the pickups. They're pretty low output. The cleans are outstanding, and don't come off as harsh or brash when strummed. They're bright without being glassy or twangy, and full-sounding without being bassy. Love 'em.

yea, strat cleans are essential.

but i mean like after an artist's tone? which artist? im going 4 RHCP and john mayer cleans.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.
^ Oh, beats me. I don't think that way. Besides, I use a Boogie Mark IV, which is completely different than any other "clean" player out there.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Rockstar12345
yea, strat cleans are essential.

but i mean like after an artist's tone? which artist? im going 4 RHCP and john mayer cleans.

You may just want to do what Dirk did, & just call Dave Stephens & tell him exactly what you're looking for. I've not heard or played his pickups (I use pickups from Mojave Amp Works & Tom Holmes), but the Stephens pickups are supposed to be some of the very best that money can buy. Several guys I know have heard them, & were amazed at the tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
His vintage humbuckers are the most vintage sounding of any humbuckers I've ever played and he is part of the reason I decided not to try and remake the PAF. Although I'm sure I could make a PAF just as good as his, I know I can't make it any better so what is the point of trying? Thats why I went to neobuckers instead. Dave's late 60's style single coil pickups are almost as good as his humbuckers but I'm not a huge fan of his other strat style singles. I've never played his Tele pickups or his P90's but I've been told good things about them from people that have used them.
Not taking any online orders.
O SNAP ITS CORDUROY!!!

anyway, yea. i had a convo with him a while back and he rcommended 59s.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.
for vintage sounding single coil pickups, look no further than RockMonkeyGuitars.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by CorduroyEW
His vintage humbuckers are the most vintage sounding of any humbuckers I've ever played and he is part of the reason I decided not to try and remake the PAF. Although I'm sure I could make a PAF just as good as his, I know I can't make it any better so what is the point of trying? Thats why I went to neobuckers instead. Dave's late 60's style single coil pickups are almost as good as his humbuckers but I'm not a huge fan of his other strat style singles. I've never played his Tele pickups or his P90's but I've been told good things about them from people that have used them.

If you could make anything close to his Platinum PAF pickups (and with gold covers) for less than the $360 he charges per set, I'd bear your children. Somehow.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
If you could make anything close to his Platinum PAF pickups (and with gold covers) for less than the $360 he charges per set, I'd bear your children. Somehow.

I'll feed them.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.