I'm looking for a new guitar that costs roughly £300-500, and a lot of Schecters have been catching my eye, but since I know very little about them I'm looking for help in narrowing down the Schecters that would suit me. So, with that in mind, I have a few questions.

1. What's the usual width on the necks I'd find on Schecter guitars? I favour the thin, wide Wizard type necks on a lot of Ibanezes. Any Schecters guitars like that?

2. Is there a Schecter series with Floyd Rose/Ibanez EdgePro -type trems?

3. Every guitar company has a few prominent models (Gibson with Les Pauls and SGs, Fender with Teles and Strats) -- are there any Schecter models acknowledged to be better than the others?

Thanks.
Last edited by Serotonin at Sep 1, 2008,
Cheers... I play a lot of different types of music -- thrash metal (Metallica/Pantera), instrumental (Vai/Satriani), prog (Pink Floyd/Radiohead/Rush) classic rock (Guns n Roses/ACDC/Queen), but also getting into funk and jazz (Curtis Mayfield/James Brown/Steely Dan) as well as jamband (Allman Bros/Grateful Dead/Phish/Govt Mule) lately. I suppose the C-1 Classic's better suited to me then?

Any other replies to my original questions, specifically the idea of replacing my Ibanez RG1570 with the Hellraiser or Classic?
The C1 Classic is fantastic. Worth looking at an S1 Blackjack too.
If you like the neck on the RG1570, Schecter is not the way to go.

My friend has a Schecter C1 Hellraiser, its a great guitar. Great sounding, great playing, great looking. But it feels completely different to my Ibanez RGs. The neck if far thicker.

If you want to stay with Ibanez, and want something that looks cool, maybe consider the S series stuff? The older Japanese stuff had great looking flame/quilt tops, very classy looking.
1. Schecter necks are alot thicker than Ibanez necks; as an RG550 user I really dislike the Schecter necks. I've tried out the C-1+, Blackjack, and some other models and I really don't find the necks particularly comfortable. However, the guitars that I did try happened to be really greasy round the back of the neck and the strings were of much higher tension than I am used to.
2. Check out the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR, has an OFR and EMG's equipped already.
3. Generally, I associate Schecter with the C-1 shape. (Basic super strat look). Quality tends to be the same with all the models.

NOTE: Since you are in UK (I think anyway.... you used £, the only place you can get Schecter brand new is Soundcontrol.
C-1 Hellraiser FRs are great, but like others are saying, the neck is much thicker than that of an Ibanez. If you want thin necks, just stick with Ibanez. The S series are beautiful guitars, but if you want something a little more different, take a look at the X series, particularly the Xiphos.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Great replies. They've really helped me out -- you've given me a lot to think about. Cheers, all of you.

One thing... just how much tax is there on a Schecter import from the States? Would it be cheaper than going to a UK dealer. I've never bought anything particularly expensive internationally before -- when/how do I pay customs/duty?
well, don't know if this helps any, but for Christmas I'm getting a Schecter Damien 6. It's only $350, and the msrp is $500. It truly is one hell of a guitar, and I personally can't wait for the 25th.
Quote by Serotonin
Great replies. They've really helped me out -- you've given me a lot to think about. Cheers, all of you.

One thing... just how much tax is there on a Schecter import from the States? Would it be cheaper than going to a UK dealer. I've never bought anything particularly expensive internationally before -- when/how do I pay customs/duty?

There's an online site that can receive items in America for you, and then ship to you. I can't remember the URL, maybe someone else in this thread can. It should save you a fair bit of money.