hey guys,
I've got a standard mexican HSS strat with no modifications and I want a bit more balls from the humbucker. So i thought about raising it, However i don't know much about adjusting pickup height and need some assistance with, how close the pickup has to be before the magnets start to pull the string, whether both sides of the pickup should be different heights and do you have to adjust other pickups so that if used in combination with others, one wont dominate.

thanx
striker
Quote by striker327
how close the pickup has to be before the magnets start to pull the string

Bridge pickups are usually more powerful by nature since the vibration of the string at that point is naturally narrow anyway. You can get it pretty close to the strings without choking off too bad, but I wouldn't go any closer than, say, about 1/8". In their guitar owner's manual (available online through www.fender.com ), Fender gives you stock height and max. recommended height.
, whether both sides of the pickup should be different heights

Slightly higher on the treble side will probably get you the most balanced tone. Experiment.
and do you have to adjust other pickups so that if used in combination with others, one wont dominate.

Well, you're combining a humbucker with 2 single coils. There's no way the bucker won't dominate them, essentially. Or at least it should dominate them. But yeah, most people try to achieve balance when setting up pickups so they don't have volume swells/losses when switching between positions.

In the end, you'll probably just end up replacing the stock humbucker because it wasn't really designed for high gain.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 3, 2007,
thanx mate.. btw i think only one single coil of the humbucker goes in combination with the middle pickup. does that still mean the bridge will dominate?
A lot of how you move the pickup around is preference. However, you probably want to keep the pickup flush with the strings (both sides moved the same amount). I have the same guitar and moved the pickup up a bit for some help with the "balls-less" sound. A way to check your limit as to how far up you can move the pickup is by fretting the strings at the high frets, and seeing how much space you have to work with. Otherwise your pickup will start to get used as the 22nd fret =P

What I did was tallied the number of 1/4 turns (or 1/2, or whole turns) I made to the screws, tested how it sounded, and went from there. That way, if it for any reason sounds WORSE, you've got a place to return to. Ultimately, however, if money isn't a problem (which it usually is =P ) you may want to shop around for a different humbucker if it still isn't meeting your needs. Hope that helped, cheers =)
lol i think i got a good height. Ive got approx 2 mm on the treble and 3.8mm on the bass. do your think that would be pretty even in volume
Last edited by striker327 at Dec 3, 2007,
Quote by ThirstyWoodenWh
A lot of how you move the pickup around is preference. However, you probably want to keep the pickup flush with the strings (both sides moved the same amount). I have the same guitar and moved the pickup up a bit for some help with the "balls-less" sound. A way to check your limit as to how far up you can move the pickup is by fretting the strings at the high frets, and seeing how much space you have to work with. Otherwise your pickup will start to get used as the 22nd fret =P

What I did was tallied the number of 1/4 turns (or 1/2, or whole turns) I made to the screws, tested how it sounded, and went from there. That way, if it for any reason sounds WORSE, you've got a place to return to. Ultimately, however, if money isn't a problem (which it usually is =P ) you may want to shop around for a different humbucker if it still isn't meeting your needs. Hope that helped, cheers =)

may i ask what your measurements are?
i got my pickups actually 'set up' by a professional (i got other maintenance to do) today, and i asked him to set it so it'd give me most response to my picking dynamics.

with the 22nd fret fretted, height from bottom of strings to the top of my polepiece:
neck: Low E- 2, High E- 2.1
middle: Low E- 2, High E- 2.3
bridge: Low E-2.5, High E- 3

all measurements in mm.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
awesome thanx, im pretty happy with the way i have it now but never the less i think its the best im gonna get out of these pickups. I'm mostly a blues player and tend to only use the single coils however, i like to rock a fair bit when playing with others. So i was think of maybe a Dimarzio PAF/Dimarzio PAF Pro in the bridge and 2 texas specials/Tex-Mex pickups in the neck and middle. Dam couldnt get anymore versitile! lol
Last edited by striker327 at Dec 4, 2007,
wooha 1.5mm (depressed at 21st fret) both ways sounds good but will this pull of intonation ?
Last edited by striker327 at Dec 4, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
i got my pickups actually 'set up' by a professional (i got other maintenance to do) today, and i asked him to set it so it'd give me most response to my picking dynamics.

with the 22nd fret fretted, height from bottom of strings to the top of my polepiece:
neck: Low E- 2, High E- 2.1
middle: Low E- 2, High E- 2.3
bridge: Low E-2.5, High E- 3

all measurements in mm.

soz to bring this thread back but thats quite odd how you have the treble strings further away to the bass side
I dont have exact measurements, but use the neck/middle position (this is for texas specials), neck pickup about a quarter and a half sized (as in the coin) gap between 21 fret low E and top of the pole piece, high e about a quarter sized gap when pressed at 21 fret (my guitar only has 21 frets). Middle pickup is about 3/4 the height of the neck pickup. Tone for neck on 7, middle is wide open. Playing through a Bugera V5 (5 watt low gain tube amp, gain and volume maxed, eqs should be fairly bright (bugera has a tone knob, i keep it on 7). I would recommend a bass 6, mid 5, treble 7, presence 6.5.

going back to the original post, it'll be virtually impossible to make sure the humbucker doesn't dominate if you raise it. I set my neck and middle pickups the way I said right here, and I lowered my humbucker (seymour duncan pearly gates) until its volume level was the same as the neck pickup.
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Quote by wahalrus
I dont have exact measurements, but use the neck/middle position (this is for texas specials), neck pickup about a quarter and a half sized (as in the coin) gap between 21 fret low E and top of the pole piece, high e about a quarter sized gap when pressed at 21 fret (my guitar only has 21 frets). Middle pickup is about 3/4 the height of the neck pickup. Tone for neck on 7, middle is wide open. Playing through a Bugera V5 (5 watt low gain tube amp, gain and volume maxed, eqs should be fairly bright (bugera has a tone knob, i keep it on 7). I would recommend a bass 6, mid 5, treble 7, presence 6.5.

going back to the original post, it'll be virtually impossible to make sure the humbucker doesn't dominate if you raise it. I set my neck and middle pickups the way I said right here, and I lowered my humbucker (seymour duncan pearly gates) until its volume level was the same as the neck pickup.

did you notice this was five years old?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
did you notice this was five years old?

oh... I'm sorry, I'm pretty new here and don't really get things yet.
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM, Texas Specials and Pearly Gates HB)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Quote by wahalrus
oh... I'm sorry, I'm pretty new here and don't really get things yet.

not a big deal, post up a new thread if you have a question, generally older posts may not be the best to go by because lots of things can change in the guitar industry in a short while. from five years ago to now a lot has changed. you will get better answers with a new thread.

welcome aboard
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/