Ok, to make it short and simple, here's the deal: I have an RG and want to lower the action, but even with the action at it's company preset I get fret buzz from frets 1-8 and it's really pissing me off, I don't think I can lower the strings without it getting any worse. How do I fix this?
Lowering the strings doesn't get rid of fret buzz
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
i refuse to get any more ibanez guitars because of that. i've had issues with it on 3 already. you can try adjusting the truss rod and making sure the neck is level, but you'll probably have to go and have it professionally set up (probably including a fret leveling)
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Forget the company preset. From what I understand, the guitar that is bought new and does NOT need to be set up is a rare thing! Find a good guitar setup guy and pop $75 - $100 to have it done right - you'll be happy you did. It will turn your purchase from a thing of frustration to a thing of joy and make you a better player!
Quote by MrWannabe
Forget the company preset. From what I understand, the guitar that is bought new and does NOT need to be set up is a rare thing! Find a good guitar setup guy and pop $75 - $100 to have it done right - you'll be happy you did. It will turn your purchase from a thing of frustration to a thing of joy and make you a better player!

that sounds like an ad for guitar techs lol

75-100?! 100?!?! he may have payed a little more than that for the damn guitar. I am nothing short of AMAZED at how much people are willing to pay for setups. i thought the 55 was a ripoff down the street but apparently I was getting a steal. 100? seriously.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
I just learned how to do all of this myself. I'm appalled at how much money i've spent on something that is so easy to remedy - with a little patience to take the time to make mistakes and fix mistakes, of course.
That was just a ballpark number. Since I had three guitars done, I got good prices. $75 for the Les Paul and $55 for the SG.

My Ibanez AEG20 was the third guitar I had my guy do. I also asked him to install a button by the neck. I knew the acoustic would be more expensive than the electrics. The only mechanical adjustment is the truss rod - everything else is labor and luthier skills. So I get there to pick up the guitar and he's telling me how he trimmed the ends of the frets, straightened the neck, shaved the nut, bridge and saddle, installed the only button he had - a $15 gold Gibson button and had to make grooves in the saddle for the 5 and 6 strings to get the right angle over the bridge due to the heavily shaved bridge.

The bill was $115 which I though was fair considering how much work he did. Since it was my third guitar, he told me to just give him $60. Nice...

I do agree with tasty that $100 would be on the high side but I wouldn't be surprised at $100 if I were in NYC or LA.

BTW, I don't think original purchase price should be a deciding factor in paying for a setup. I bought an Alvarez RD8 for $75 used ($150 new). It's a surprisingly sweet sounding guitar for the price - nice and mellow. I was seriously considering having it set up and doubling my investment since the setup would make it even nicer. The only thing that's keeping me from doing it is the fact that I now always play the Ibanez when I play acoustic. So, I'm thinking of selling it instead...
Quote by MasterWerk
I just learned how to do all of this myself. I'm appalled at how much money i've spent on something that is so easy to remedy - with a little patience to take the time to make mistakes and fix mistakes, of course.

I agree with you in principal on this. I have no problem handling intonation and simple stuff. However, the overall action along with buzzing issues is a combination of nut, truss rod and bridge adjustment. AS if the mechanical adjustments to the truss rod and bridge weren't bad enough, I'm not confortable with removing a glued-in, shaving it, re-installing it and probably getting it wrong!
Unfortunately, fretbuzz cannot be punched in the face due to the fact that it's a conceptual action over an object, and therefore has no face.

You can remove it, however, with good fretwork, the proper trussrod bow and the right action.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrWannabe
I agree with you in principal on this. I have no problem handling intonation and simple stuff. However, the overall action along with buzzing issues is a combination of nut, truss rod and bridge adjustment. AS if the mechanical adjustments to the truss rod and bridge weren't bad enough, I'm not confortable with removing a glued-in, shaving it, re-installing it and probably getting it wrong!

I agree. There are some things that'll need a professional, but for setups and action adjustments, I'd rather do it myself. Most fret buzz problems are due to low action, as long as it's a decent guitar - read not a $100 hack job.
shop by me does great work and its only 35 bucks and they restring the guitar and clean it up for you as well
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by tasty licks
i refuse to get any more ibanez guitars because of that. i've had issues with it on 3 already. you can try adjusting the truss rod and making sure the neck is level, but you'll probably have to go and have it professionally set up (probably including a fret leveling)

Yeah, I think that's what i need since the action is fairly low on the first few frets, but it gets too high for my liking around the 12th, which is why I want to lower the action. but I heard just a fraction of an inch off and it could splinter my neck, and that's really something I'd like to avoid since I doubt I could get a new guitar any time soon, but is it possible for me to get rid of fret buzz WITHOUT raising my action?
It sounds like you need a truss rod adjustment, you also might need to raise your nut (no immature jokes please). I'd just take it to a tech, the truss rod isn't something to be messed with if you're inexperienced.
TS, with a level bridge...

fret the first fret Low E, at the same time,
fret the last fret Low E, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you have too much bend.

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
TS, with a level bridge...

fret the first fret Low E, at the same time,
fret the last fret Low E, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you have too much bend.

measure and repost.

I'll try this out when I get home. I think it's insufficient bend bend that's the problem
sounds like it to me too. lemme know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

my ESP LTD viper had some fret buzz with the low E string for a long time, and the action was as low as it could go, so I raised the bridge a little bit (hardtail tune-o-matic bridge) and it cleared it all up. it seems all good now, but I was concerned with whether or not the bridge adjustment could cause any problems to the neck?
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by mazohysthoney
it seems all good now, but I was concerned with whether or not the bridge adjustment could cause any problems to the neck?

i dont see why it would.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

alright, thanks
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60