I've heard that the stock pickups on these guitars aren't too good and wanted to know what I should swap them for. I'm on a budget so haven't got huge amounts of money to spend. So what I'm asking is, what should i get?
Recommendations please
Your choice should depend largely on the type of music you play- so two questions: what type of music do you play, and what exactly is your budget?
I play quite a range of styles, metal, alternative rock, punk rock, grunge etc. So I guess something that is quite versatile. My budget is about £70 ($140), is it worth buying new pickups or should I just wait and save some more?
I'm a big fan of EMG's personally, but the EMG-81 and 85 combined (great active pickups) would be around $200 total, I think. You could get EMG HZ's if you want to go with passives though. DiMarzios are great too (such as the Evolution line, Vai uses these), but also run around $80-100 a pickup, so save up until you have about $200 and it'll open up a lot more options. I'm not entirely sure about the prices, but I think that's the general range.
Okay thanks, I'll probably go with those.

[EDIT] Does anyone know where I can pick these two up together in the UK? I've seen them listed as "EMG Zakk Wylde Set"
Thanks
Last edited by Haykuro at Dec 3, 2007,
Why the hell does everyone want to swap out their stock pickups?

You said 'you've heard' they weren't too good; have you considered trying them first?

Replacing your pickups isn't going to massively change your sound, especially with a solid state amp.

On top of that, the stock RG pickups are fine.

Many people these days feel the tendency to swap out their stock pickups, without properly giving them a chance. If you have a great rig, but would like to tweek your sound a little, changing the pickups can be a good idea, but that's usually not the case.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Dec 3, 2007,
I see where you're coming from, I'm actually going to pick up the guitar right now. Of course I was going to see what the stock pickups are like first, just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Quote by Haykuro
I see where you're coming from, I'm actually going to pick up the guitar right now. Of course I was going to see what the stock pickups are like first, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Personally I like the RG stock pickups.

When you roll down the volume to about halfway on the middle single coil (or the neck humbucker in coil split mode), whilst on the lead channel, you can get a lovely Paul Gilbert-like slightly distorted clean tone.

By selecting the split neck humbucker on the clean channel you get a very pleasant, slightly Strat-ish, clean tone. The bridge humbucker usually has enough punch for some serious riffing and the neck pickup is pretty good for solo work and fast picking.

These are just a few examples of what stock Ibanez pickups can do.

A few of the technique samples (namely, alternate picking 2, chromatic tapping and Shawn Lane-ish picking) and songs (being the Racer Y and Ms. Frightening riffs, plus the single coil improv.) on my profile were recorded with my stock RG and despite the somewhat lacking built-in microphone on my Pandora PXR4, i think they still sound quite well.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Dec 3, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Why the hell does everyone want to swap out their stock pickups?

Word. RG pickups are alright (and by that I mean RG prestige pups, be it Vs or IBZs). They're not brutal, which is why people diss them, with Ibanez being strictly for metal and all that bollocks. I'll aye to that, they're no EMGs. But they aren't supposed to be either. Try them before you decide to change them. I'd bet most people that hurry to swap out the pickups so much won't even tell the difference between the stockies and a $400 boutique set.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!