Thought this would be useful for some people. Ive got a couple a mahogany body blanks recently and theres a massive difference in quality between em. Heres a pic -
The Darker one is much nicer, its heavier, denser and darker. When its on a completed guitar it sounds worlds better than the lighter one. Its really hard to come across really good quality Mahogany now. I get it from a friend, its from a door believe it or not !

I haven't seen mahogany that looks like either of those two.

A while ago a bunch of users agreed that heavier isn't always better... What figures?
Just going from experience with em both. The lighter one doesnt sound that great. Gonna open a whole can of worms by saying this but Gibson have been using the lighter coloured mahogany for a while. Ive had a few les pauls to repair where the strap button had gone into the body in the end grain because the wood is of that poorer quality. The Mahogany on my 93 custom looks a lot like the darker one whereas the lighter one looks a lot like the mahogany on a 2006 one a friend has.

Quote by carousel182
thats African mahogany right?

Yeah, the lighter one is African
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Dec 3, 2007,
Wow! If you made a set of guitars for a band they could call themselves, "The Doors"!

Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Quote by deadsmiley
Wow! If you made a set of guitars for a band they could call themselves, "The Doors"!

LOL ! thats the awesome !