I'm looking for my holy grail of reasonably-priced valve amps. So far the Vox Valvetronix (both my XL and the original) has failed me, being a tad digital sounding for my tastes, it's hard work eeking a sound that's even close to what I'm after out of it. I mostly play British indie (Radiohead, Doves, Embrace etc) and the odd bit of rock, blues and jazz on a Fender 72 Tele Deluxe and Epi Dot. I'm after a tone similar to the guitar on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW9vXjayEM8 ... but want something slightly different and unique to my playing). Doesn't need to be loud, in fact, being able to play quiet without sacrificing much tone is essential!

All in all, I'm after some raw, delicious valves which can bring out the best clean tones in my guitars, but won't freak out when I put some or all of my favourite effects through it. Price range is flexible, but under £300 would be ideal. Any suggestions?
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Laney VC15 would be good for that sort of thing. Does rock, blues and cleans equally well. You could get the 30 watt version if you want to gig - it's less than £300
eh for under 300$ probably your best bet would be a valve jr. head going through a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. I have the valve jr. and its a great for playing low volume. On top of it all it loves stompboxes.

heres the link to it: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Jr-HalfStack?sku=481475
Originally Posted by slatsmania
I'd rather plug my guitar into my dog's ass.

yes... the marshall mg series < dog's ass
Does the VJ head start to distort at the same volume as the VJ combo?
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
^ Hot Rods over here are more expensive in relation to in the US. I think the Hot Rod Deluxe is about £450.

^^ I think so. Plus you can combine it with a 12" speaker in the cab of your choice rather than the 8" speaker of the combo, which is a good thing. However, I think the VC15 might be better for you, since it has an EQ, reverb and a master volume control and only comes to about £25 more than the VJ head and cab.
it should. I say Crate Palomino V8. I have tried it out several times, and itr seems to me that even to u would definately need an OD pedal to play thru PAF humbuckers, it would be well worth it. Good cleans, decent on-amp gain. U may want an EQ pedal, as there isnt a 3-band eq. Very nice amp tho, im getting one for X-mas. Fender Pro Jrs or Blues Jrs are two other good options, tho im not sure how great Class A/B OD sounds. But u cant beat the cleans on Fender tube amps.
Psst. Join the Laney cult. And yeah VC30/15 would work well for you.
Have a look into the sound cities too.

^ The crates arent readily available in the UK.
^ The BJ is still over £300. And, personally, I don't think it would be suitable for the rock stuff. It can do blues and nice cleans quite well, but the Laney would be better for anything that required any real amount of overdrive.