Hi!
I'm pretty sure I signed up to this forum a few weeks ago, but I can't remember my user name or password, so I've signed up again. lol
I want to ask the same question as I believe I asked a few weeks ago (not that I can find it on here anyway).
I have a Fender Tele. I don't really know how to play guitar. I'm not taking lessons. I know about a dozen chordes, but I can read tab and can follow tab quite easisly. I don't know how to strum though. To give you an idea of what level I'm at I've just learnt how to play the solo of springsteen's backstreets.
So I'd like you to suggest something kool/impressive (not too difficult though!) I could play just to show off to my friends. I had in mind some scales or something, but I'll consider anything as long as it sounds really good.
Thanks in advance.
learn a few techniques and improvise (that's what i do). a few good techniques are tapping and tremolo (also called alternate) picking.

there are lessons for both of those here.

EDIT: it's better to write your own solos than to learn someone else's, because your solo will incorporate your playing style, and it will sound better.

that's just my opinion, you can go learn whatever you want.
Last edited by Metallica_Man55 at Dec 3, 2007,
Perhaps start out with Metallica...the rhythm isn't all that complicated and it will lead you to other and better stuff. adn google how to read guitar tab, if you don't know how to yet...i'd find a link for you, but I just got off work, and I'm too lazy.
Quote by Angelfix
Perhaps start out with Metallica...the rhythm isn't all that complicated and it will lead you to other and better stuff. adn google how to read guitar tab, if you don't know how to yet...i'd find a link for you, but I just got off work, and I'm too lazy.

Nevermind what I just said...I'll try reading the whole post next time
Learn Smoke On The Water and smoke some grass, you'll advance quickly.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
enter sandman. easy enough. if your friends are into grunge.. nirvanna. or just bust out the ramones
Quote by RockerPseudonym
Learn Smoke On The Water and smoke some grass, you'll advance quickly.

enter sandman. easy enough. if your friends are into grunge.. nirvanna. or just bust out the ramones

+1 to both ya thats exactly how I started out, and I'm pretty good now.
Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

Draft beer, not people.
ok, heres what i think is best. find some band you like, not some P.O.S (sorry i consider any band with a guitarist that doesnt put decent solos in some of their songs Sh!**y) band like greenday or fallout boy. metal bands are perfect for this, you wont be playing their solo's so dont worry, although if u have extra time why not try. find a riff from one of their songs that sounds simple enough and try to play it, find the tab and practice. this way you will stay interested cuz ur playing something you like and at the same time not trying to go too fast. i know i sound fairly incoherent, but this is the jist of what i'm saying: dont try to play too fast, find a riff you enjoy playing and if its at a speed you can handle play it, if not slow it down. power chords are a no no. BIG NO NO. Practice CONSTANTLY. you need to build your ability to move around on the fret board and get used to the common shapes riffs are played in. if u reply to me i can send you houndreds of riffs that i have stocked up from when i was at the point you were at. if this stage bores you dont worry, it doesnt last too long. the alternative is lessons.
I think my eyes just started to bleed from reading Mpayne's post. Dear God, who taught you English?

Learn Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smoke on the Water, Iron Man, and maybe Sweet Home Alabama. All are easy and are pretty recognizable.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks