I’ve always had serious tuning problems with my guitars, I can’t bend my strings without going out of tune which I’ve always felt has been knocking my progress off balance as of late. Put it this way, I’m afraid to bend strings live, so I don’t which means my solos always lack a bit of bite.

I decided awhile ago to take the easy way out and the next time I update my gear, to get a guitar with a double locking trem. Problem is the Edge Pro seems like the only reliable version and guitars fitted with that are all Ibanez and hugely expensive. I also don’t like the fact it cuts sustain.

I play a lot of funk, blues, ska, rock and jazz so I haven’t really found a suitable Ibanez with Edge Pro. I’ve kind of realized I’m forcing myself on the brand and I’m probably going to end up with a guitar excellent for shredding but crap for everything else. If a strat had a double locking trem, I’d get one. But they don’t, so…

The more I think about it though, the more ridiculous it seems that I’m considering this. Surely people don’t have these problems in general with guitars without locked bridges? Perhaps the tension is wrong on my guitars?

Anyway, basically what I’m asking is (and I know it might sound stupid) but would.. for example a Fender American Strat keep in tune after lots of bends and stuff?

And also, can I get tips of how to maintain tuning stability?

Cheers,
Strats can keep very good tune under pretty much all conditions except very heavy tremolo use, as long as you set them up right. This is true for MIM strats as well as MIA strats.

If you decide to go with a strat, either have it set up professionally or come to us and we will tell you how to keep it in tune.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I have a really really cheap strat and I never seem to have problems with the tuning.
I can bend strings fine and I've gone through different tuninggs and it holds well.
The tremolo does really mess it up though, I tightened up the spring and don't use it.

Either you had a really bad set up (I don't see how a guitar can be much worse set up than mine...) or something is broken, like the tuning pegs or the nut
Solution: Hardtail guitars.

Get a tele. Or, get a strat and either throw 5 springs on it or just straight up block the trem.

but first, go get your nut cut properly and lube it with a pencil - that should solve most problems with bending.
get a real bone or graphtec tusq nut. get your guitar set up. string your gutiar right, and learn to tune your guitar correctly. there's perfect tuning at all times. (if you tune it whenever it goes off like i do.)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I have two tips for tuning stability:
1. Stretch out your strings after putting them on.
2. Get locking tuners. In my experience, MIM Strat tuners are awful, so I can't imagine how awful Squier ones could be. With locking tuners, not only will you get more stability, but you no longer have to wind the string anymore. You could upgrade your trem system for additional stability (avoid Kahlers since they aren't so good keeping in tune after string bends) but by then, you might as well get another guitar with superior woods and wiring.
you're most likely getting binding at the nut and string trees. Common problem.

Graphtec nut/string trees, or roller trees=nice return

I built a strat and I put on staggered vintage tuners and a graphtec nut.(no string trees) Although I'm not that much into using the trem, it never goes out even on a 3 step bend, and if and when I use the trem, I can pretty much stand on it and it comes back.

just for kicks, take pencil lead and get some dust into the nut.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by Fast_Fingers
I have two tips for tuning stability:
1. Stretch out your strings after putting them on.
2. Get locking tuners. In my experience, MIM Strat tuners are awful, so I can't imagine how awful Squier ones could be. With locking tuners, not only will you get more stability, but you no longer have to wind the string anymore. You could upgrade your trem system for additional stability (avoid Kahlers since they aren't so good keeping in tune after string bends) but by then, you might as well get another guitar with superior woods and wiring.

+1

I put locking grovers on my Warlock and the guitar took a 3 foot fall off the top of an amp and didn't even budge in tuning. Heck it doesn't even lose tuning when I transport it back and forth in it's gig bag. I also have regulat grovers on a different guitar and those are quite good as well but the locking ones are so convenient during string changes.