Both, I have several guitars set up with a low action for shred but if I was to play slide at all I would definitely have one of them set up with a higher action, like on my acoustic.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I like it as low as possible without buzzing AT ALL when unplugged, which is about 2.3-5mm on my low e..
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Generally,low action is much easier to play.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Low because I like making large bends and sliding a lot (not with a slide).
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
High, with the pickups as close as possible.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Rather low because I need it to be low to get my pickups close enough - but not so low that I've got no sustain. You'll want to find your middle-ground, unless you're not going to play anything that requires sustain whatsoever.
I'm a communist. Really.
I keep my guitar's action at about 6/64ths bass-side from the 8th fret on. It starts at about 4/64ths at the first few frets for chording.