I know this isnt really the forum for this, but I didnt know where else it should go. also I know a lot of knowledgeable people come here so hopefully someone can help me out.

anyway, I am about to get my first quality mic, and I have two choices that I was looking at. the Shure sm58 of course and Sennheiser E835. both mics get really good ratings, great reviews, cost the same, and both have people who swear they're better than the other.

as I said, this is my first quality mic, before this I've been using $30 nady mics. So I'm sure I'm going to be extremely satisfied with either one. But I don't know which to pick. And unfortunately I can't really go anywhere to test them out or anything. So, which should I get?

here's links to both of their musicians friend pages.

Sennheiser
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-E835-Performance-Vocal-Mic?sku=270825

Shure
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101

Another question. I've seen several things talking about mics being on axis or off axis. I assume this refers to how the mic is angled within the mic stand or your hand. But how do you know whether it's on axis or off axis? And also, what kind of difference does it make? If anyone can help me out with any of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if there is another forum this would be better suited for, please just point me in that direction.
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
On axis and off axis refers to the placement of the mic on the speaker cone of a guitar amplifier.

What are you going to be using the mic for?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
this is actually going to be my do-it-all mic for now. im not in a position to buy much quality equipment, so I'll probably be using this for recording guitar, bass and vocals. or at least I'll try it out for guitar and bass to see how it sounds. Also i'll be using it to practice live and things like that
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
As much as I hate to say it, maybe you should get a Shure SM57.

:-/
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
well my bigger concern is for the vocal use. Im not really doing high quality recording right now, and whichever mic i choose Im sure I will keep as a vocal mic for a long time.
Quote by lefty_strat_str
For live use or recording?

You're gonna want a condenser for vocal recording.
Quote by utsapp89
hmm. well right now i can really only afford to get 1 mic, and its kinda just gonna do everything for me for a while. any of these im sure will give me better recordings than what i get with the nady's
Quote by lefty_strat_str
hmm that does look pretty interesting. Im definitely going to think about that, especially since, as facing us all pointed out, it would be best to get different mics for so many different applications. thanks a lot to both of you
Quote by lefty_strat_str