Hey,
Well, I currently have my overdrive needs covered (just ordered a modded tubescreamer, that'll be my third OD pedal). Now, I was looking into a distortion or a fuzz as my next purchase.
I was thinking of a big muff pi, or maybe spend a bit more and get a modded DS1 or something. And for a fuzz, maybe a fuzzface.
My budget will be hovering around a hundred bucks.
I like to play classic rock, some blues, basically everything, including a smattering of metal, but getting metal tones aren't necessary.
And, does distortion sound ok with a strat? I guess I would have to go try some distortions out so I can find out what sound I want, but if I kept the gain down low, would my sound get overly noisy?

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
distortion + strat = crap
maybe you should invest in a mini humbucker to put in your bridge pickup.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
the boss os-2 works very well with single coils. and it can be modded to sound better as well.
single coils with really low gain sounds alright by my standards

unless fuzzy-feedbacked-distortion is what you like, then go with it
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by stradivari310
distortion + strat = crap
maybe you should invest in a mini humbucker to put in your bridge pickup.

Strats and distortion go quite well together, you think just because single coils produce a small amount of hum (which a lot times can't be noticed on a well shielded guitar) It's not ment for distortion. Please, go listen to some classic rock, some Kim Mitchell perhaps, he's got some righteous distortion and he plays strats.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I know that distortion works out ok with strats (Like, Gilmour uses/used a big muff if i'm not mistaken, and I guess that's considered a distortion. And doesn't froosh use a modded DS1 or something?).
I'll keep the gain down low, but I just wanted to have a distortion than having a bunch of overdrives.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
that comment about distortion through stratts is completely wrong

sure its not made for slayer or carcass

but hell, it can get some sweet classic rock tones
Quote by Doodleface
Strats and distortion go quite well together, you think just because single coils produce a small amount of hum (which a lot times can't be noticed on a well shielded guitar) It's not ment for distortion. Please, go listen to some classic rock, some Kim Mitchell perhaps, he's got some righteous distortion and he plays strats.

meh.. I suppose I was harsh. Light to medium distortion is fine. My friend's american strat sounds really tinny and trebly with his marshall half-stack, but then I suppose it could be his OD pedal (and the fact that the amp is mad old). But with a decent noise gate they work well enough.

EDIT: well granted.. he tries to play punk on it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Dec 3, 2007,
Quote by stradivari310
meh.. I suppose I was harsh. My friend's american strat sounds really tinny and trebly with his marshall half-stack, but then I suppose it could be his OD peda (and the fact that the amp is mad old). But with a decent noise gate they work well enough.

IS it a MG, AVT, or other comparable solid state marshall?
If it was, than that's why it probably sounds tinny.

Anyways, back on topic. what should I get for a distortion?
Modded DS1? Big Muff? Other?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Every Classic rock/Blues player (in my opinion) needs a fuzz. Fuzzes go fantastically well with single coils (see Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, John Frusciante, SRV used one occasionally), and which type of fuzz you get depends greatly on the type of sound you want. If you want velvety smooth, creamy, liquid fuzz, look at a nice boutique fuzz face reissue with NKT-275's. Maybe the Analogman Sunface (i'm currently looking at buying one). If you want the gilmour, slightly buzzier and more agressive sound, a big muff is a great option (especially for the price tag!) Look at the Little Big Muff, its smaller, True Bypass, and definetly more vintage sounding.

There's all sorts of fuzzes out there though, so i'd do some more research and look around.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
+1 to SRVStrat808, i play a little big muff through a blues junior and it can go from smooth to mental with single coils
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by stradivari310
meh.. I suppose I was harsh. Light to medium distortion is fine. My friend's american strat sounds really tinny and trebly with his marshall half-stack, but then I suppose it could be his OD pedal (and the fact that the amp is mad old). But with a decent noise gate they work well enough.

EDIT: well granted.. he tries to play punk on it.

Iron Maiden and Van Halen. (EVH's strat referred to as a frankenstrat, and charvel is made in fender factories.)

'nuff said on that subject.

As for single coils, I find that darker pedals sound very well with them, like Frusciante's choice of dirt pedals.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Dec 3, 2007,
All right, a little big muff sounds nice.
And it's below my budget too.
I'll look up some videos for it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator