I'm going to be as straight to the point as possible. My band rented a practice area from this music store's warehouse last year. We moved out in July, but apparently no one told him we were moving out.

Well he called me last week saying we owe him $1600. He said the lock was still on the door, and that he lost the possible business of renting it out (though he had a key the whole time)

We never signed a contract. Does he have legal grounds to get our money/take us to court? We are willing to offer him a bit, but we can't afford 1600. I know we suck for not telling him, but are we obligated legally to pay him? Btw this is the first time he contacted us since like June.
So now, in addition to all being doctors, UG are qualified paralegals?

I don't know, you didn't tell him. He may have some justified reason for going to court for that.
and he didn't notice for 5 months that the practice space was unused? NEVER checked it?

he's an idiot, you don't owe him sh!t...

that being said, the court system is ****ed
BUT
you moved out, he had a key, he's an oblivious jackass... i'd say you're probably good
Quote by thewho65

Lol this isn't my only source of help. Just looking wherever I can, which might be silly I'll admit.
Quote by thewho65

I don't know, you didn't tell him. He may have some justified reason for going to court for that.

Not only that, but we can all perform marriage cermonies in the state of Georgia.

TS, did you hand him the keys to the practioce space when you vacated?
THis looks like a case for Judge Judy. That bitch will help ya.
It's a fake wheel, dummy!
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Don't download music or you'll go to prison and get anally raped.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Not only that, but we can all perform marriage cermonies in the state of Georgia.

TS, did you hand him the keys to the practioce space when you vacated?

No, but he had a copy of the key. Could this have an effect?
Quote by thewho65
So now, in addition to all being doctors, UG are qualified paralegals? for that.

that would be a good sig. lol
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm no legal expert, but common sense says yes.

I wasn't quite clear. It was padlock type thing we supplied ourselves. So without it, the door has no lock.
Quote by thewho65

At least one UGer is a Bar-admitted attorney

You had NO contract? Well, that's interesting. By keeping your padlock on the gate, you signified that you still had control over the area. When did you stop paying him? At no point between then and now did he contact you regarding your occupancy or payment? You may be liable for something, but it seems like his management of the property and his failure to attempt to contact you when you didn't pay on a monthly basis are poor management on his part, and could thusly reduce your liability.

But yeah, expect to get sued.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 3, 2007,
even though you didnt sign a contract, and agreement was made, a valid offer was made with a valid acceptance, the courts may try to pull that one on you, but since soemthing as renting out a space wasn't put into contract form and he didn't state how much you owe per rent payment. He can't do anything, the space wasn't used. so he can't charge you for rent since no electricity was used, and he had a key the whole time. He might try to bring it to small claims court, but the court can't do much about it, just settle out of court, pay the guy a hundred bucks and say sorry.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
due dilligence man. you should have told him. but then again that might go against him since he should've checked up on you. and even if you're a minor it doesn't matter since the space you rented out doesn't fall under "necessity" and all that other good stuff.
^ Due diligence has more to do with fiduciary relationships.
Quote by thycrusader
even though you didnt sign a contract, and agreement was made, a valid offer was made with a valid acceptance, the courts may try to pull that one on you, but since soemthing as renting out a space wasn't put into contract form and he didn't state how much you owe per rent payment. He can't do anything, the space wasn't used. so he can't charge you for rent since no electricity was used, and he had a key the whole time. He might try to bring it to small claims court, but the court can't do much about it, just settle out of court, pay the guy a hundred bucks and say sorry.

Actual use is not as relevant as you seem to think. If you rent an apartment and you never move in, as long as you exert control over it, you're liable. He exerted control by keeping a lock on the door. But the landowner had constructive notice of the premises being vacated by lack of payment.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by MrYoshida
No, but he had a copy of the key. Could this have an effect?

Yes.

That's like selling your house and keeping keys to all the locks.
lawyer up and **** that lil **** sucker over...tell him he told all his friends and sue him for defemation of character and get all his ****ing money
Quote by Connor6c
I sucked on my mom's nipples
the fact that there's no signed contract could be a big help to you, so you can probably just ignore him. There may be a basic tenancy contract in your state which may stipulate a minimum term of 12 months or so requiring notice before quitting the premises, if so you could be boned.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
You've come to the right place.

Hi, I'm Jack Off Jill, 19 year old attorney at law.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.